Question Why does everyone like cultivation stories?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by cz12d, Sep 20, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cz12d

cz12d Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay so this might be insensitive, but why do people like xianxia and wuxia stories at all? The main characters in them are almost always mary sues, they're not "badass who give no fuck" they're rampant murderer's and thief who are too arrogant, the language is overly descriptive 90% of the time, the plot repeats itself with no variation for 500 chapters, also if i want to read about people who can cultivate and reach true enlightenment i dont expect them to be murderous opportunistic asshole no i expect them to be monks who meditate on scripture. Finally for all those humorous Chinese novels for me the humor kinda falls flat.

I'm just sick of all the chinese novels that feel like they were written for 12-17 year old. Anybody got any ideas why there so poular

2. ScipioM

ScipioM :D

Reading List:
    Link
    Cause why not?

But seriously though I feel like there will probably more 12-17 year old readers in the country of origin if there's a lot of cultivation novels

3. skyking

skyking Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ... i think its cause that most reader are between 12-17 that they like it cause they write stories like that...

4. yotae

yotae Drunkard Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    Because there are beautiful girls and you can become immortal that all. No seriously it's an epic aventure inspired of chinese mythologie, a complexe world building, the feeling of improvement with a higher mountain behind a big one, people who lived thoushands of years,feelings of love, sadness, anger, joy. It's an extraordinary journey like you can't find in western culture or is pitiful low.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  5. iBakax3

iBakax3 [Baka Ranger]

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's because of the word counts/chapters. I used to like reading Tales of Demon&God because there was lots of stuff, but my brain finally had it with the...stuff and decided to say no forever to cultivation novels

6. AardwarkThe2nd

AardwarkThe2nd (R-18 writer) Aardwark, the king of aardvarks!

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, the same reason why everyone on MAL likes anime. This forum is created specially for xianxia readers.

7. moocho

moocho Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In a way, we are all seeking enlightenment. Reading CNs, different mentality, different visualization.

It helps with my inner World. :)

8. polokoi

polokoi TVPropaganda

Reading List:
    Link
    jade white beauties, wishfulfillment, slaughter, blood, death, power, sex, rape, harem

9. Jin Mori

Jin Mori Absentee MC

Reading List:
    Link
    Junk novels are like junk food,

They feel good at the time and fill you up but later you'll puke and once you start eating real food you'll know how vast the heavens truly are.

10. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Cause they read so many JP beta novels that it feels like a breath of fresh air. Worry not, even that phase wears off and then people move on to KR novels with more balanced MCs.

11. reddonagaiyo

reddonagaiyo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because it has action man and even though it feels stupid to say this but sometimes it feels good to just read about someone doing whatever they want.

pinkrainmi likes this.
  12. killerchamps

killerchamps Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its like saying why do people like dbz,naruto,one piece etc. Cause the character is badass.

pinkrainmi and Cutter Masterson like this.
  13. Reindeer

Reindeer RynDeeVuo

Reading List:
    Link
    Same reason as to why people like reading Japanese Isekai novels? Generally speaking anyway.

Deleted member 13809 likes this.
  14. ChantalMon

ChantalMon Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ....i see myself as the MC?
    those jade-like skin and evrything demn!

15. anormrobot

anormrobot Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its cause everyone likes to slap people in faces, especially rich young masters cause we all poor like hell.

And we like to hear about beautified humanoid females/males, cause some of us is ugly like hell.

And we like to hear people arrogantly talk because these disses are beyond the heavens of normal recognition, imagining someone walking the street going "This young master, gonna slap yo faces" is funny as hell.

Heck why do we read it.

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  16. Deleted member 13809

Deleted member 13809 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I sorta agree with you op... I gave some a chance but their rabbles about this and that techniques or enlightenment whatsoever just makes me feel sleepy. I'd rather read scientific and millitary info dumps than those...

cz12d likes this.
  17. elberthomax

elberthomax Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i think it's the thrill, from power growth, OPness, face smacking,slaughter etc etc, it satisfy the reader's inner desire

Cutter Masterson likes this.
  18. Vishaakha

Vishaakha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    People always want, what they can't have.

19. pr337k4m4197

pr337k4m4197 ✪ KILLER SMILE!!!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    *sigh* seriously another one of these?!!
    i could ask you the same thing (assuming that you like jap novels) Why do you like japanese novels? they are stories with same type of characters repeated again and again?
    and btw if you seriously posted this for a answer there are hundred of threads posted with the the same question, why not go read those?

20. phk

phk 『Lost Soul』『Master Of The Fine Arts』

Reading List:
    Link
    i still like them, only hate the unneeded chapters that they add in to have more word count. like somehow every time the mc goes somewhere or comes back they(those guys that get carried on the mc's back and still be useless) just happen to be in critical danger, like seriously?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.