Wish fulfillment

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Cabman11, Dec 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cabman11

Cabman11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  2. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    America is actually the most idealistic country in the world
    Mind you Idealistic not Ideal
    I mean come on...our core principle here at the 50 states is that you can become whatever ya wanna be...pure bullshit i tell you

Simon, Zone Q11, qwerty and 2 others like this.
  3. TokenZero

TokenZero Mystic Sanctuary: Divine Fairy

Reading List:
    Link
    Well since you can learn magic and get a harem by getting run over by a truck clearly Japan is best

ghostcat, GM_Rusaku, Gadget and 2 others like this.
  4. Kryto

Kryto Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All three haha. Chink stuff has a lot of POWER TRIP wish fulfillment, while Jap stuff has a lot of HAREM YET BETA wish fulfillment. American stories on the other hand... I read a lot of them but I usually don't read the wish fulfilment stories, so I can't say too much about them.

CDLevit likes this.
  5. lachy

lachy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Japanese stuff has the most. Japanese mcs tend to be average looking (or ugly) and beta which the readers can more easily relate to compared to the Chinese mc's who tend to be handsome and alpha.

6. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think all is wish fulfillment? Just the type is different. Same with what Kryto said.
    Japan is known for their 'weak' protagonist, where reader could relate with their own weakness. Chn is wish fulfillment for superiority feeling/ look down on other. America is both. E.g spiderman appeal belong to the nerdy, while Arrow is for feeling superior.

Zone Q11, CDLevit and Ldyrdy like this.
  7. LivingCorpse

LivingCorpse Half-dead Neighborhood's Undead

Reading List:
    Link
    Japanese have the best wish fulfillment story desuwa~♪
    Arifureta is my favorite desuwa~♪

Zone Q11 and Ldyrdy like this.
  8. Linley

Linley 【Linlin】【The Love Doctor】【NUF Nicknamer】

Reading List:
    Link
    Truthfully, the most idealistic country in the world would be any country supporting communism. If you have read the Communist Manifesto, you would understand it. The ideals that make up the Communist ways are actually pretty valid in my opinion; the only issue is there hasn't been a proper leader to show it's full potential. Especially after what both Hitler and Kim Jong Un (if I remembered his name correctly) did with their countries, nobody wants to attempt a communist government, especially with America and Great Britain threatening to eliminate said government when it has a chance to arise.

CDLevit, NinetH and Ldyrdy like this.
  9. sal880612m

sal880612m As I thought, love was a status effect! ~ICDS

Reading List:
    Link
    From what people and my own opinions it sounds like
    Japan WF = Stumble into power, or an enviable situation but still be whoever you were
    China WF = Granted or gain the ability rise above and punish the corrupt and influential.
    America WF = ? I want to say something between 'Be rich and successful.' and 'Be beautiful/handsome and with someone who is beautiful/handsome.'

They all seem pretty similar to me.

CDLevit, Ldyrdy and false like this.
  10. Gadget

Gadget Demi-god of magic and science

Reading List:
    Link
    ... That depend on the genre of the novel. Comedy? Romance? Action/Adventure? ... ...
    I think that some genres have a more wish fulfillement than other. And as I don't read all genres, I can't tell the overall amount of wish fullfillement the japanes, chines or american novels have compared to each other.

But it's clear that there is a desire for power (strenght/magic, intellect, wealth), pretty girls (1 or more), punisihing the bad guys (bullies, criminals, corrupts people), and some damn good luck.

Besides, wish fullfillement is unavoidable.
    "Imagination was given to mankind to cheer it from what it isn't. Humour was given to mankind to cheer it from what it is"

CDLevit and Shio like this.
  11. buttplug2

buttplug2 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When using the series finder, if you exclude reincarnation, transported to another world, VR/MMORPG, and harem, you trim off a huge chunk of the novels.

12. sal880612m

Reading List:
    Link
    you forgot Xianxia and Wuxia. Add them in and see what's left.

13. buttplug2

buttplug2 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are Xianxia and Wuxia really wish fulfillment though? Wuxia especially is an old genre of fiction.

14. sal880612m

Reading List:
    Link
    Wuxia might not be but a lot of Xianxia probably is.

15. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of xianxia consist of weak character that stumble upon cheat like existence, become powerful, then goes around capturing every beautiful girl that they encounter. Wish fulfillment it is.
    The only Wuxia that I've ever read is condor heroes series, and while they are not really wish fulfillment, there's harem. Beside I agree with Gadget:

16. Ldyrdy

Ldyrdy Snowfallsdown

Reading List:
    Link
    Japanese series full filled all kind of 'weird' idea.. Reincarnation, transported, charm skill, vr world, and yeah, they always bring something fresh..

Chinese still walked on the xianxia and wuxia path but it always takes us to the ancient oriental times where we are taken for a great adventures except some series that heavily focusing on cultivating, kick as*, cultivating, kick as*..

For american, its full of dreams and action and more on rational side where there is explanation for everything..

Each one of them has their own merits and demerits.. Can't choose any..

17. Fordask

Fordask I feel like having a Bacon Pizza

Reading List:
    Link
    Most people are ordinary/average. To help us get over the fact we are nothing special we use books to escape from reality. We see a seemingly ordinary person like us and then all of a sudden they encounter some miraculous situation that makes their life more exiting and leads the MC into becoming extraordinary in some regard (Harem, power, fame, ect.).

In my opinion Japanese novels tend to be slightly worse but pretty much all cultures have a heavy dose of wish fulfillment in many of their novels.

CDLevit likes this.
  18. qwerty

qwerty King of all Hollow

Reading List:
    Link
    That's what you think...hahahahahaha:p

19. TUSF

TUSF Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wouldn't that mean that the Chinese stuff has more wish-fulfillment? Just because the Japanese authors want to keep their characters with an appearance that's more relatable, doesn't mean that Chinese works somehow have less "wish-fulfillment"; I mean, not only is the MC getting everything his way in the end, he's also some super charming alpha (much unlike the author probably is, but very much like how he wants to be).

One type of "wish fulfillment" aims at people who have trouble imagining themselves as someone that's not like them at all, and the other form wants to be someone else entirely.

edit: On that note, American fanfiction, and the equivalent "wish fulfillment" "literature", tends to fall more in line with the Chinese form, (see the term: "Mary Sue")
    At least from what little I've actually read.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    CDLevit likes this.
  20. CDLevit

CDLevit Aspiring water; spark of cynicism; Em&es explorer.

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't there actually a mix of all literatures? Take for example the usage of japanese terms: yandere, tsundere and so on. They exist in every literature but in a more detaliated form. Also, nothing stops an american, for example, to write a la chinese style. The sole barrier is the knowledge of the writer.

Also, not all readers read book for a wish fulfillement, some of them read because they want to explore possibilities and/or develop emotions and toughts..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.