Discussion WTA: Voting requests from a certain novel site

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Spiritsong, Sep 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Notaborax

Notaborax 『Woeful One』『Poet』『Epi's & Azuka's Cat』

Reading List:
    Link
    where are these threads asking to vote on polls?? i only found one and it looked like a personal poll thing for fun. like i know vague about the novel poles since a novel im reading at the bottom asks to vote for them(but dunno where or what)

well some novels and sites do have their own comment section and forums. but i personally come to nuf. i think if they use nuf or reddit they just go to either those two places.

this is a place you can talk about all novels and not just a speicific set of novels. so people come here to that. they can also talk to a bigger range of people. naturally people would want to come to a expose themselves with more people there. also they could attract new people by coming here.

2. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes I know that you were using an analogy, let me give you two more examples that are more relevant
    1 Amazon: It is called self publishing but Amazon is a publishing company..at least technically. They do not advertise their authors
    2 Webtoons: I did receive messages on Line about their webtoons but it is more of a email to subscribers. Line picks the most popular authors on webtoons and sign a contract with them. The authors already have huge readership, no need to advertise to gain readers.**

** I am not privy to how Naver works as a company as I do not read Korean so they might be inconsistencies or I maybe totally wrong but the amazon example is a good one.

Sena likes this.
  3. Night Ghost

Night Ghost Well-Known Ghost Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Funny

Anti-Qidian spammer complaining about Qidian's spam thread

AliceShiki likes this.
  4. Sena

Sena Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Amazon is an interesting case, since it's a mix of a publishing company and self-publishing like you said. They do advertise specific books/authors, but only within their own services (AMS, recommended items, pushing certain items to the top of lists, things like that), and they do advertise themselves as a publisher/provider (with Kindle Unlimited and Prime Reading, they advertise the thousands/millions of books available for one price, then direct you to specific books within the service).
    While Amazon's marketing isn't quite the same as traditional marketing though, it actually contradicts your original point that started this discussion; you said that publishers don't care about readers and only care about having popular authors. In the case of Amazon, what they care about is having as many authors as possible to expand their catalogue, using the numbers to attract readers rather than using a few popular authors. And they do advertise their services in order to bring in readers/users.

I can't comment on Naver or Korean publishing either, I know even less about that than I do about China. And from what little I know of the western webcomic industry, the few examples of publishing companies seem to be more like an association of self-publishers working together.

5. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Advertising and marketing in the traditional as you said is not done.
    Amazon does not pay for ad space for their authors, recommendations do not count.
    Even Novel Updates has it, its a simple cookies feature to implement on sites.
    I wont call it advertisement.
    I never said that publishers do not need or want readers but that they dont need to make any effort to secure readers.
    I will use a simple analogy
    Instead of opening your own restaurant, you join a franchise that is already popular and dont need to advertise.

6. Sena

Sena Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Amazon doesn't really advertise specific books or authors outside its own services (an advertiser using their own advertising service to advertise for free is still advertising though), but they do advertise themselves as a publisher and advertise their book catalogue/services as a whole, including paying for ad space.

Amazon very obviously makes an effort (again, including paying for ads) to secure more users for Kindle Unlimited, it's pretty hard to imagine a reasonable argument that they don't try to attract more users. Amazon Prime is a little different because Prime Reading is only an additional benefit and not the main purpose of Amazon Prime, but they clearly try to attract book readers to Amazon Prime by using Prime Reading as a selling point.

Your analogy is also a little off, because it's not unusual for franchisees to still pay for advertising and/or to advertise an individual location through social media. McDonald's, for example, makes franchisees pay them for advertising as part of the franchising fees, so paying for advertising is mandatory, and then local advertising can still be handled by the franchisee in addition to that. Other chains can have franchisees handle all local marketing themselves (usually with pre-approved marketing material), while the franchisor only handles national-level marketing.

7. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    That's the main reason why I think people make threads here... Advertisement is always good after all, they need people to get to their sites somehow, and the more ways they try it, the better for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.