YenPress or Qidian International

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Titan LLS, May 24, 2017.

Tags:
?

YenPress or Qidian International?

1. YenPress

95 vote(s)
    53.1%
  2. Qidian International

84 vote(s)
    46.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hahhaa

Hahhaa hereby irrevocably & perpetually waives all moral

Reading List:
    Link
    So you decided the standard that thousands is beyond fair use and thus illegal? Or profit from translation is unfair and illegal?

They are done deals. And Ren paid (right?). If they have disagreement on previously established contract, they can renegotiated or sue just like you said.
    But I think the price depend on many factor such as time limit, the negotiator skill, other trade off or on and etc. I don't know the details of NDA but do you?

Yep. Legal threats that they have legal right to do so with 3 days ultimatum.

kenar likes this.
  2. hehaaw

hehaaw Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Another thing guys, from reddit post :
    It mean that most of the authors won't make money from the translated novel over WW or QI. The japanese authors still get money from the official release by YP or any other publishing companies.
    Most people seem to forget what was the purpose of fan translation in the first place, like what @Hell_ping said, it was to make western market, to make the japanese publisher realize that there is a market for their stuff in the west. BT succed doing that with YP and some other companies took some series. Same goes with the chinese novels, but unlike Kadokawa who let another companies buy the licence from then, seems like Qidian want to make profit by themself because they are used to with their monopoly in china!

Shield Loyalist and kenar like this.
  3. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    The fuck? Go search what's term of fair use. I can't believe you don't know such thing but still want to argue.
    Again, what the fuck? Both sides said it was reduced. The actual price should be around 7 digits. They revealed this publicly, both sides did.
    How many days has it been now? Does it happen yet?

Raobihr likes this.
  4. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    My sole wish is for Qidian to just destroy this community that is full of people who refuses to pay despite pirating. That's all.

Raobihr likes this.
  5. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    and full of hypocrite

6. Touma212

Touma212 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey, hey. This is fan translation community. This community build by fan translators to "introduce" japanese and chinese product/novel to global/international for free.
    So i ask you, who are the one that build this community? Qidian, yen press or japanese/chinese author? Who are the one that introduce their product?.
    Refuse to pay? Heh. I will consider it when they deserved to be paid. But noo.

7. xianxia_reader

xianxia_reader Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is rather funny to see the force of copyrights being applied by people who don't really respect others. How many of the novels plot lines or image arts are direct rip offs of popular games, movies etc. Now if that doesn't win the Hypocrites of the Millenium, I don't know what does. First let them acknowledge and pay original artists for the work before accusing others of being freeloaders.

I have already mentioned before if there was a legal ground for Qidian to stop WW they wouldn't have to resort to posting on a forum to ask for their novels "back".

The way WW is being affected is - they can be reported to Google Adsense and have their ad revenues dry up. And if they try Patreon they can still be reported. Though if they have a stripe or other payment options no one can stop them, which they did during the paypal contribution days. Problem is that is full of loopholes and chargebacks.

8. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    life is full of irony~ :ROFLMAO:

TheOnlyRavenbrand likes this.
  9. zentetsuken

zentetsuken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Qidian failed against piracy back home in China, why do anyone thinks Qidian can suceed stopping piracy of the derivatives works?

10. Sakuratea

Sakuratea A Cup ot Tea

Reading List:
    Link
    people can live without novel, jeez...
    you guys treat this as if your livelihood is threatened
    personally if in the end everything is put behind paywall, I would stop reading WN and find another time killer. buy a real book.

11. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    there are light novels published in our country....
    well, you can read try andrea hirata's novel xD

12. Sakuratea

Sakuratea A Cup ot Tea

Reading List:
    Link
    no no no, I don't know why, but LN translated to Indonesian sounds cringy when read.
    I prefer andrea hirata over that. lol
    or historical fiction, I read 'arok dedes' by pramoedya ananta toer recently and it tasted almost like wuxia. :p

13. Touma212

Touma212 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Already read it. Planning to reread wiro sableng by bastian tito.

14. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    im glad that im not the only one feeling like that :ROFLMAO:
    older novel are like wuxia right?

15. Hahhaa

Hahhaa hereby irrevocably & perpetually waives all moral

Reading List:
    Link
    Keep calm. I just did searching "fair use" as you asked. Here a fact, there is no mention of translation in "fair use" wikipedia. More searching ... after reading some legal stuff... i found out that even if I understand it, i might be misinterpret it, and doing more harm spreading it. Sorry, English is not my 1st language.
    It is simpler if you just answer yes or no. Is thousands of profit is beyond fair use and thus illegal? Or profit from translation is unfair and illegal?
    And more question :)
    How does that apply to ww that already have exclusive authorizations (Qidian said non-exclusive authorizations) ?

Again, keep calm. no need for swearing. I probably missed that. Did the NDA is totally break now? Source pls.
    Edit: If you're
    referring to noodletowntranslated 4000000 RMB? No. I think the leaked contract clearly said that translator did not(cannot?) represent QI side whatsoever. They are not even an employee, just hired contractor. IANAL so don't quote me on it. Maybe he sign a different contract? Even if he did at 1st, but at the end, he reveal that it some sort of estimate, nothing to do with NDA. Ren question as it's the true value and asked for the source but never made confirmation. So NO. Neither side had made confirmation. Unless I missed something. Source pls.

Not happen yet, I have read that the decision is now up to court. Both side have their own right, so now we can only wait.

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  16. Linbe

Linbe New member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yen Press wins....But in QI's defense they have just started...still got time to fck over fans worse

17. ElderMaOu

ElderMaOu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yen press, aside from taking forever to translate they never add honorifics and they translate unnecessary stuff, demon king and overlord are NOT good translations for Maou-sama

18. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    isnt that mean they are translating properly?

19. ElderMaOu

ElderMaOu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Might be, doesn't mean that I'm going to like it. with most of the fan translated Japanese stuff they keep these things around because it feels more natural having some one say onii-chan rather than big bro
    probably is because most of the people reading Japanese stuff actually joined the community after watching anime and getting used to these little things
    i just prefer the fan translations might be different for the others(though things like "all according to keikaku" are going overboard)

20. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    does your opinion will affect yen press as a company?

maybe kadokawa's decision to sent so many dmca is because of the government begin an anti-piracy campaign in 2014? who knows
    http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...acy-campaign-300-internet-sites/#.WSgI-J6Uvuw

and one of the comments lol :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.