I like debates.Especially those where people are grouped randomly and thus, whether they agree with their side or not, they still have to defend that answer. Kinda fun. The way people throw ideas, concepts, logic and sophistry just to emphasized their point and debunk the validity of the opposition side is fairly interesting.
Anyhow, we did an impromptu debate yesterday in Ethics. The scenario was that the Earth would get destroyed within five minutes and it was decided that eight (8) people will be tasked to create a new civilization. These eight will ride a space shuttle however a malfunction happened along the way and thus it became necessary to leave once person behind. Among this eight, who would you leave behind and why?
So there. I find it really curious that a lot of them answered Old Priest. It was nearly turned into a useless debate for both sides initially decided to throw out the old priest but in the end the other group decided to settle with throwing out the young artist instead. Personally, I would throw out the architect...
- Young Artist
- Old priest
- Pregnant teacher
But going back, debates are more about who's side sounds more logically sound. At this point, it just frustrated me to watch the debate. One should know when to push forward, when to change the point being debated is you're losing in that front, when to use an opponent's word against him and whatnot. I didn't see it much. Even logically sound points got drowned by some not so logically sound argument...
Oh well, at least, they are entertaining to watch.
Oh after the debate, I find some interesting points about the given characters after some considerations.
Anyway, Ethics is fun but headache inducing sometimes haha.
- What if the doctor isn't a medical doctor but a doctor in philosphy?
- What is the scientist is actually a social scientist?
- What if the teacher was a PE teacher and thus doesn't concern herself with teaching general knowledge? Though, I think taking care of physical fitness might become important in this new civilization in a way
- What if the Engineer is an Industrial one and thus doesn't involve himself in building constructions?
- What is the Priest is an orthodox priest and is allowed to marry and procreate?
- What kind of artist was the artist here?
- Is better to save the young artist or the old and experienced priest?