Comments on Profile Post by Ai chan

1. Nyanko
    Nyanko
    Christmas Island, as in the place in the Indian Ocean? Let me think...
    Nov 9, 2018
    Ai chan and Lovely like this.
  2. Nyanko
    Nyanko
    So Christmas Island is famed for its Phosphorus mine. And CIP is "Christmas Island Phosphorus". They use a conveyor system to transport phosphorus from the mine. I guess because they are repairing this conveyor belt that runs from the mine which apparently crosses the road, the road is closed.
    Nov 9, 2018
    Ai chan and Lovely like this.
  3. Nyanko
    Nyanko
    Nov 9, 2018
    Lovely likes this.
  4. Lovely
    Lovely
    \o/
    Nov 9, 2018
  5. Ai chan
    Ai chan
    Ooh! I see now. No wonder Ai-chan can't find anything on google. Thanks a lot.
    Nov 9, 2018
    Nyanko likes this.
  6. Nyanko
    Nyanko
    Pointless fact, Christmas Island and the nearby Cocos (Keeling) Islands are the only Muslim majority territories in Australia. A high population of malay were brought over back in colonial days to work the mines.
    Nov 9, 2018
  7. Ai chan
    Ai chan
    Another question! Is Christmas Island considered a state or a district? Yeah, this is translation for the Malay populace.
    Nov 9, 2018
  8. Nyanko
    Nyanko
    Its a federally administered territory. As part of the Indian Ocean Territories, It and Coco (Keeling) Islands are run by a bureaucrat in Canberra. There are local councils which run some aspects of the island, but most sovereignty is controlled from Canberra.
    Nov 9, 2018
    Ai chan likes this.
  9. Nyanko
    Nyanko
    My current job has some aspects involved on those islands, so I know a little bit more than most.
    Nov 9, 2018
  10. Ai chan
    Ai chan
    Alright, thanks Nyan.
    Nov 9, 2018
  11. Ai chan
    Ai chan
    Shire then translates into 'wilayah' then. Ai-chan was deliberating between 'negeri' (state) and 'daerah' (district).
    Nov 9, 2018
  12. Nyanko
    Nyanko
    yeah "shire" would be the most direct term.
    Nov 9, 2018