Recommendations “ A villain is just another victim who’s story is untold”

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Nagisa11, Jul 11, 2020.

?

Are you the kind of reader who’s mostly likely to root for the villain?

Poll closed Jul 18, 2020.
  1. There’s a charm in an intriguing villain that makes your heart beat

92.0%
  2. Nah there’s a sense in pride in seeing the protagonist beat the villain

8.0%
  1. Nagisa11

Nagisa11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello, I’ve usually been bored out of my mind and have got Tired of novels with the same tropes. Novels with naive trusting protagonist, mcs that always get what they want. Have everything handed to them via the plot, I won’t go into detail and list them all up. I’m also not looking for cultivation novels where again everything is given to the mc on the silver platter, be it cheats , powerups or women.

I’m looking for novels , stories told from the perspectives of the villains or villainess. The type of stories that are almost too rare told from the perspective that is not the protagonist, Or a heroine of their perspective Stories. Novels where our mc can be consider as a well written villain in another’s story, the guys with depth that mcs from other novels beat up for a career, characters that authors introduce but we barely Get to know them because authors highly favor their protagonists.

I cannot think of any Webnovel that embodies the type of mc that I have in mind, note a villain does not necessarily have to be evil, but they should not be good either,. Mostly likely what I’m asking for is a dark mc. Since I can’t remember any Webnovel with my preferences.
    I’ll list the novel “The Broken Empire trilogy” and it’s protagonist, this guy is basically the ultimate villain the Ex prince young Master but he’s given such depth that no reader can hate him. It’s his story that we as readers are following that no matter the atrocities he commits , all he kills , steals trying to get his empire beck we root for him/ a villain in most novels but there is no protagonist to beat him up.

Genre should not matter, nationality should be limited to Chinese and Korean novels. No Japanese novels please they all have the same protagonist let alone an antagonist mc. Romance novels are fine. Novels with female characters okey as well but please no to those novels with transmigrated female lead Rincon inside the body of a trash general daughter, trash Bullied princess. God no I think I’ve read all of transmigrated female lead like those. Try to recommend novels with genre such as psychological, Thriller, suspense with dark villain mcs.

Thanks in advance.

2. Eternal Emperor

Eternal Emperor SelfAware-PieceOfShit

Reading List:
    Link
  3. xMisfortune

xMisfortune Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Nagisa11

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you . I’ve read this. Our Gu was one of my first introduction to Cultivation novels. One of my first love. Sigh I’m feeling nostalgic right now I might just go and re-read it.

ah friend do you there’s a manga for it. It’s Compelling as it. Try reading if ur bored one day. Thanks again

Eternal Emperor likes this.
  5. Nagisa11

Reading List:
    Link
    xMisfortune and kyoshijiro like this.
  6. kyoshijiro

kyoshijiro [Draugr] [Oniric Lord] [Disaster of a human being]

Reading List:
    Link
  7. HafidzM

HafidzM Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  8. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    A Villain truly shines when apart from the villainous actions, they are indistinguishable from the hero. A noble cause, tenacity towards achieving the goal, comrades willing to die for each other. Basically Thanos. That's hard to find in novels, since the balancing act between two such powerful characters is difficult. Authors tend to favor one side over the other just to make life easier, which is understandable.
    Infinity war did it by giving the heroes and villain their own movies. Reverend Insanity still focuses on the villain more with weak heroes, same as warlock. Of course there is an easier way to achieve the balance, which is to bring the "heroes" down to the level of a petty villain. There are a bunch of revenge novels that do that. This ends up in a novel where every character is one dimensional trash.
    Transformers 3 almost did a good job with sentinel prime, and Man of steel despite all criticism had an amazing villain, just like Watchmen. Even Korra had Zaheer. I have read many novels over the years, but yet to find a good novel with such a great balance between hero and villain.

Nagisa11 likes this.
  9. ishaan

ishaan I Eat Potatoes

Reading List:
    Link
    The New World ( on RRL):
    This is a litrpg where a AI creates a massive game system in the universe to fight an invasion.
    Almost all the villains in this novel have been humanized to such an extent that some one can sympathize with them.
    But the best part of the novel is that even though you can sympathize with them, the author makes you see why it was necessary to kill them (and in one case, why you shouldn't kill them)
    Schema: The AI mentioned above. Even though he has sent entire planets to their doom and is the dictator of the known universe, he is still necessary because he keeps the eildritch invaders from the civilisation.
    Yawm: This is the best example for a villain you can understand. Although he is the invader of earth and has carried out crazy experiments on many species, he has his own story and goal. The mc becomes his friend but still kills him

Nagisa11 likes this.
  10. De Lan

De Lan Smartass from blue planet

Reading List:
    Link
    Ouh the instant I read your request i remember one story that the MC believe that he is the protagonist but he is actually the villain after seeing the protagonist advance bit by bit and getting the favor of everyone
    Andd uuh I forgot the title :cry::cry:

Leo129, Lachaize and Nagisa11 like this.
  11. Nagisa11

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm agree some books and movie can’t truly capture the beauty Of the villain. If one wants such a fulfilling antagonist story than tv shows is where they are. With shows such as Breaking Bad, Dexter who introduced a main character that simply likes killing, Hannibal and etc. TV shows is the place where morally ambiguous main characters Thrive the most.”, men that can be considered villains. I wonder why. Is it because of different genres. Why can’t books and movies do that they way show portray characters. Even Azusa from avatar regardless of not being a main character had such depth.

12. Nagisa11

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol. I sense déjà vu . Feels almost like I read it before. Is it a transmigrated story? Where the MC transmigrated into the body of the villain inside a book they read? Sounds fun lol can’t think of any titles as well.

13. lazykitty_99

lazykitty_99 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  14. 8theaven

8theaven Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Spiderman 3!!! jkjk
    For real, Experimental Logs of the Crazy Lich is a good one since he's definitely the "bad guy" but once you understand where he's coming from he becomes a bad guy with good intentions. He knows he has done things which are unforgivable and he doesn't wish to be forgiven. He's someone who doesn't believe in absolute good or evil but he's the type of guy who does something because he believes that it's the right thing to do while bearing the consequences for his actions.

15. m__a

m__a Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a manhwa, but I'm not sure if you're looking for this? Anyways it's called The Wicked Queen. It's romance and does have a novel but it hasn't been translated...