Resolved 农家 ? It’s not supposed to be farmer tho (and more)

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Tofu Cat, Feb 26, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Tofu Cat

Tofu Cat dragon

Reading List:
    Link
    no,no,我怎么敢对齐农家动手,我不过是针对我的乖儿子,齐当家可千万不要误会

1. Qí is a name, while the Nóng Jiā is(at least when I googled it) supposed to be a farmer or something. However the person being talked about(Qi) was neither a farmer(he was a big rich boss of the underworld) Nor was he offended to be called such a ‘lowly’ title. So I’m hella confused rn..

2. the person is supposed to be saying it in a sarcastic tone.
    “clever son” or “obedient son” ?

3. Dāng Jiā -> hopefully 1. is different from it. I’m imagining this to mean overlord / master etc, though I still feel it might not be accurate cuz I’m such a noobie lol. So if someone could confirm my translation it’d be great
    :blobxd:thank you x

2. Shibb

Shibb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Are you sure the guy isn't called 齐农 (Qi Nong) instead? That way, the phrase would translate to the family of Qi Nong.

2. My obedient son = most accurate. However, from that tone, you can potentially replace it with "my sweet little boy" etc.

3. 当家 = Head of the house, usually the patriarch. It's the person who can make decisions for the whole family (sometimes it's the matriarch instead).

castorl likes this.
  3. yakuzapandaz

yakuzapandaz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is he protecting someone?

4. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It feels like this is a typo and it should just be "当家" twice.

It's also used as a leader of certain kinds of organizations; especially non-lawful organizations like criminal gangs, or (actual) pirates, or rebel groups. Often there would be a "大当家" for the main leader while his subordinates are "二当家", "三当家", and so on.

5. Shibb

Shibb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This sparked a thought and I googled this phrase. This is a typo and you're correct. Just shows that if you want to go through pirated sites, be prepared to sift through them for accurate text.

Side note: I can't find the proper site to find this story at all. The cover art makes it seem like one of those tiny 5$ a pop romance books that exist only in physical form.

xiazixin likes this.
  6. Tofu Cat

Tofu Cat dragon

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, Qi is short for Qi Mo, or 齐墨 in chinese.

hmm I know that, but I’m trying to go for a shorter way title for him, something as short and simple as Mr or Ms that lets one know his position at a glance.

dayum lowkey hurt u called my fav rom-action cheap pop romance :blobcry: But k I kinda get what u mean, it isn’t top quality at all lolol.
    Thanks for your research, without u I wouldn’t have known to look out for erroorrsss like this in the future!

7. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hell, writers having typos is pretty darned common. When people are writing 2000-5000 words a day there are bound to be some mistakes and I've seen the best writers make them. I've gotten so used to seeing them that they barely bother me any more.

8. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    小当家=中华小当家=chuka ichiban。
    Its An Anime.
    You can translate as chuka and give me the links and I'm get ready for a laugh.
    Huaji.

Bakaturq and Tofu Cat like this.
  9. Tofu Cat

Tofu Cat dragon

Reading List:
    Link
    What even :facepalm: first of all that’s not even in the chapter! But yeah I skipped all the way till the end of the story and there, guess who appeared... the chuka you asked for xD
    maybe I might include your suggestion in a chapter dedicated to you lolol, of course that’s if I manage to insist till the endd~

xiazixin likes this.
  10. Shibb

Shibb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We've all been there. Cheap romance isn't to be ashamed of. What's shameful is you let on you were translating from pirated sources when there's a way to access it legally. That is a no-no in this forum.

Do better. Pirates can be pirates, just need to be sneaky pirates that won't bring this forum down when some big-shot company wants to DMCA a thing.

11. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    LOL, you could, if your a troll like me.

12. Tofu Cat

Tofu Cat dragon

Reading List:
    Link
    What. I didn’t even know duquanben.com was a pirating website wtf, I thought it was some website that operated similar to Wattpad... everything look official af.
    Last time (long ago) I scoured the internet for for some version that was paywalld or something or maybe something that suggested it need an app to read the official version, but every single result so far shows the novel is free. The closest I got to ‘official’(I googled again jn bc I’d forgotten) was the top 3 results, the top link didn’t work https://www.sto.cx/mbook-34916-1.html
    the second link just showed a kinda intro to the novel but didn’t give any links to the raws, and looked pretty much like all the other free websites but cleaner looking?
    http://www.quanben.io/amp/n/daoqing/
    The third was a Baidu page which again: no help to raws. The closest from that page was a link to the fucking publishing house, which, I know, youre probably like biNgO b*tch! But no lol I clicked on all the links and they just led me to an irrelevant website. Once I thought I’d struck gold(I really do wanna get the physical volumes bc I raarely raaaarely find a good book that’s in that I like and isn’t too tough to read Nor boring) but NOPE IT WAS A BLOODY AD FOR KINDLE ‍♀️
    https://baike.baidu.com/item/盗情
    I could actually tell ya more about my misadventures searching for the main website of Stolen Love and trying to prove my innocence while pooping on the toilet bowl, but I think you’d rather not hear.

I googled 盗情 btw, just in case u wanted to check if I was lying. or something. Idk. Thanks for trying to stand up for justice tho, just to be clear whatever rage I expressed ^^ wasn’t at u but rather at the fact I can’t find fcking physical volumes of the love of my life lmao.

Shibb likes this.
  13. Tofu Cat

Tofu Cat dragon

Reading List:
    Link
    hehehehe :blobowoevil:

14. Shibb

Shibb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So is the life of loving these romance books. To be honest, it's likely because they're all so shady. I've only ever seen hard copies of these books because of my sister found them in a bookshop during high school. From my own experiences with these shops, half of the goods sold are pirated/stolen from actual authors (can't explain how or why Detective Conan fanfiction would be published and sold there otherwise). You probably have to head into physical bookshops in Taiwan, Hong Kong etc to find these books.

I had a double-check at this specific story. I think it came from a Wattpad thing. The author got signed by a publishing company and now her stories are physical only. This story has also been out of print for a while. The only online copy of this story is pirated from "ye good olde days". I'd say that's a good reason but when the DMCA hammer comes, it comes. Probably will never, but better to be safe than sorry from paranoid publishing companies.

15. Tofu Cat

Tofu Cat dragon

Reading List:
    Link
    wtf out of print... shit lol

also wait what did you actually do some online digging or you just saw and kinda recognised the book as ’pirated’? if u actually dug all that up.. bruh go sell your services lmao, ur gooood. Or maybe I’m just dumb :blobconfused: But yeah I learnt a lot from u :)

tbh, I kinda don’t care about the dmca hammer cuz rn I’m most concerned about
    -spreading the legend of this book. It’s literally been bloody kiLLed both online and offline by the official publishers bro
    -Improving my chinese through this, so that I can find more novels to fall in love with, and maybe translate. I’m unofficial, but not too shabby at what I’m doing. Maybe one day when my parents open a separate bank account that l can use to earn money, I’ll join a Licensed TL group and earn some moolah :blobcozy:

i think I might try searching in apps for the novel. Tried that long ago but yielded no results. Hope now the app has someone selling those physical volumes in good conditions now.

16. Shibb

Shibb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    tbh, Google/Baidu really is your best friend. I got most of that info from the tieba forums. People are still selling their books on there (if you ask), but I don't think anyone would ship it far. They also have a secret little treasure in there you might want to make use of for offline translations. :blobpeek:

I only recognised your version was pirated because I googled up the whole phrase. When there's more than 1 and there's a typo, it's unlikely to be the original. The OCR pirates use to copy stories lead to plenty of typos. Also, most stories these days are on platforms that allow payments/VIP chapters (e.g. lcread, jjwxc, qidian), forums or Weibo (mainly for non-censor friendly stories).