Discussion A novel that you dropped, and why

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Lachiel, Nov 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. konregon

konregon Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    bro after first arc things get way better.....;)

2. sidtz

sidtz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    CCM - Story was awful and the author is a pedophile.
    Shen Mu - Princess is annoying.
    Re:Monster - It just kind of stopped updating and i forgot about it for a long time.
    Zhan Long - Boring and repetitive
    Ark - A lot like LMS, but a lot worse, and i'm even kind of on the fence about LMS.
    Zhu Xian - This one isn't actually because it was bad, i quite liked it actually. the thing is i started reading it on the perfect world? (it's been a long time) forums before i knew it was also being translated on spcnet, and when i reached the end of the translations there i naturally looked for a continuation but a LOT of the things were translated differently and i had to constantly keep a list up of who everyone was. Just decided it was more trouble then it was worth. Maybe in a year or two when i forget most things about it i'll try and read it again from the start.

3. SilverTap

SilverTap Teenage Hand Model

Reading List:
    Link
    Zan Long - Enemy never really dies, no fun in there to me!
    LMS - I lost the drive for that, slow paced translations, and the games system became ugly to my eyes!!
    MGA - Too nasty, awful MC.
    Laws of the Devil - At that time translations were too slow, and the MC was a bit disappointing since he had that knowledge.

Poor_Hero likes this.
  4. realdemonright

realdemonright Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Peerless Martial God - Couldn't stand the MC, who was in idiot and so arrogant. Plot was repetitive, Harem and Romance was crap too.

5. Slimikyi

Slimikyi ^____^

Reading List:
    Link
    I found a rather fun novel a while back. It's basically like Terror Infinity but not horror movies or games.

The MC got a system or program that allows him to enter Wuxia and Xianxia novels. And that's the gimmick. It was fun to read how someone follows the plot but also alters certain parts of it. But it lost the gimmick and my interest when the novel decided to focus on non Wuxia and Xianxia novel related things. It went into a "real" plot about where this system or program came from and the secrets behind it. And the bs about "you're too weak now to know, so get stronger and maybe I will tell you."

And then the author made the MC have three girls as his wives, which isn't too bad. But originally, he had them much more active and that part was nice. Later, their parts just faded, not completely away but took on a much minorer role. And then the MC got intimate with other girls but never went anywhere with them. And he just left them. Like a guy just sending a text to break up.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I don't like harem but I also don't like leaving things hanging. Just don't start!!

Shio likes this.
  6. Handa-kun

Handa-kun Partial Nudity and Suggestive Themes

Reading List:
    Link
    I only dropped 2, well my reading list is not much anyway.

HJC, MC got too OP too quickly.
    ISSTH, no more fart joke and grandmaster pill cauldron. Latest golden patriarch arc is boring.

7. forgotten

forgotten 【 R E M N A N T】

Reading List:
    Link
    i dropped coiling dragon once (was one of my first novels to read) i wasn't used to xanxia much and on vol13 i dropped it because i got pissed off
    because once linley became deity and was once of most powerful people on yulan continent instead of going to another planes to continue journey there had to be that seal release and tons of new enemies which were stronger than himt
    but now i started reading again and i realised that it wasn't that bad and story is pretty good at progressing :)

8. Slimikyi

Slimikyi ^____^

Reading List:
    Link
    I ventured into a type of novel I never read before, smash ups or mash ups. Basically, it is a novel where it takes place in a world where many other media will intersect with each other.

The one I read was about wuxia, so famous authors like Jin Yong or Gu Long's works are intertwined. I love all the references, cameos or alternate takes on what happened in the original. It's fun and never meant to be serious. It has the most plot holes and places that never made any sense. But then, it never meant to.

At the same time, that also meant harem like no tomorrow. Sigh. One of those classics already had plenty of female characters swarming around its respective MC. Imagine like 20 novels' female characters popping up.

You guessed it. Eventually, the author made everything out of hand. At first, characters are slowly introduced and well explained and developed. Then, they just popped out of nowhere, make a very quick cameo and disappeared/abandoned/killed. It's a shame because it was fun but then it turned into a total mess.

9. ln_

ln_ All hail Master Roshi

Reading List:
    Link
    For me it was ST and Skyfire Avenue. The first was because I found it quite dry and the second was because I am not too much into wine discussions

10. Dr.Maniac

Dr.Maniac I am Death.

Reading List:
    Link
    TGD- Awesome start but it got repetitive and boring. Like the new guy watever his name is like a copy and paste of other characters.
    Skyfire Avenue- story was going nowhere at all
    Xian Ni -got extremely boring when
    they started exploring that dungeon thing with the devil masters or whatever.

11. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    ST... i once read full massive Spoiler from beginning to the end....
    BTTH marathon with MT just wanna read about MC daughter and how he get it.. huhehuehu

12. VixenKiss

VixenKiss Machiavelli the Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    ISSTH
    I found the romance to be nonsensical imo, so I dropped it.

13. Sproutling

Sproutling We are the Sproutlings

Reading List:
    Link
    It's been long time since I saw this thread. What I dropped mostly xianxia novels. What I still read right now is LLS(wonder if this is xianxia).

14. Slimikyi

Slimikyi ^____^

Reading List:
    Link
    Short answer is no.

15. Ndois

Ndois Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have dropped most of the japanese novels I read back then when I started reading chinese novels, mostly because the generic MC with no personality or lack of update that make it not worth. I want to return to read Konjiki no Wordmaster (really like it but that has a mess translation when I dropped) and Index (I really like the world construction on this one, but the boat volume was too boring).

Now, about recent droped ones:

-My disciple Died Yet Again: The novel lost the comedy and the plot has not interesting enough to me (maybe the way the author writes it that make me bored)
    -Lv 999 villager: nice try in making a interesting plot, but in the end the OP MC with no goal is boring just like his companions. Also, kentauros.
    -Descent of the Phoenix – 13 Years Old Princess Consort: I really liked this one, but the really short chapter just make this unfulfilling. Coupled with the time skip that make her bland just make me stop reading this because it become boring.
    -The Desolate Era: it just become so boring that I could not keep reading. The only thing that make me try keeping it has the "pet" snake that I want to know how it will become, but the writhing is too boring and as a IET novel he will just forget anything character related
    -Swalloed Star: same that above, maybe read the rest of the arc but I just can't resolve myself to read it.
    -Chaotic Sword God: I may try it again, I stop reading after he left the mountain (the "babysiting/revenge arc") but I has too boring and when the next chapter come out I just have no motivation to read
    -The Greater Ruler: did not like it, dunno why but left really early (the school arc). I think this deserve a second chance, but not so soon.

I may drop ST (but I'm too far to do it, I will probably read it in one go after accumulate a little more), BTTH (dunno but I think I dont like the author, still the concept is nice and I will try to read again) and Slave Haren in the Labirinth (nice start with the MC having some moral problems like when he killed someone or what to do with the slave, but later all the chapters are the same grind with no profundity, why not plot)

16. TheGirlWhoWearsGlasses

TheGirlWhoWearsGlasses 「Soul Collector」「Ruelia's Twin Sister」「Megane」

Reading List:
    Link
    Zhan Long, because of the scary thing called spoilers, why doesn't he make the blue haired girl and Macha his wife too?

17. Kamal

Kamal uhmmm... hmmm... are you serious?

Reading List:
    Link
    BTTH - i couldnt be bothered with all the confusing names so i read the manga and it fked me up and i dont want to ever read it!

18. LazyLuong

LazyLuong Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I honestly try to avoid dropping novels, but to make time for life, I started to drop series. They usually fall in the category of:
    • Translation is too slow, especially when each chapter is very short
    • Nothing really happens in the novels
    • The author forget why the novels was popular in the beginning when things starts to change
    • I stop caring about it after saving up chapters
    • Something just irks me about the novel but I don't know what

So the novels I've drop are:
    • Close Combat Mage - Nothing really happen after so many chapters, hoping to see some combat using water skills.
    • Isekai Canceller - Avoids conflict so I felt like nothing happen.
    • Magi’s Grandson - Extremely boring during chapters where nothing happen plus the whole attitude of not caring of being used by females.
    • Slave Harem in the Labyrinth of the Other World - Nothing happening, with each chapters being the same repetitive routines with boring content.
    • Battle Through the Heavens - Manwha was decently done and ahead of the translation. Basically, I got lazy.
    • The rest of the Xian Xia in my drop list, I just stop caring about and lazy to read them since nothing really stands out for me.
    PS: The read chapter listed on the novels are inaccurate since I don't remember the last chapter I've read, or novel automatic system does not list the chapter. Since I've drop them, I'm too lazy to find out the exact chapters.

I actually find myself not really enjoying apocalypse type novels where the atmosphere is constantly tense. Ironically I enjoy them in mangas.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  19. Bunta

Bunta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    xian xia... dropped all of them... this genre is boring to me.
    Zhan Long... so boring, its like I am reading a combat log window in a MMO.
    The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor - MC is just an asshole and people around him are too stupid to realize that and the endless succession of pure luck situations. He has just luck, don't have any other quality.
    Slave Harem in the Labyrinth of the Other World - nothing happens. its like Groundhog Day (the Novel)

Satan likes this.
  20. rdawv

rdawv The Ancient of Lore

Reading List:
    Link
    My Father-In-Law Is Lu Bu!, because of the MC's ability. I wrote more in the review section.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.