A rant about otome op characters

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Meloman, Jun 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    Just a rant, really. Was looking for sweet silly novel, otome reincarnation type are usually funny and light.

So I found one on another website, doesn’t matter which, it’s not the only otome story that does this particular thing with their MC. So we got this reincarnated MC, god gives him/her OP and I mean Major OP powers right from the baby age. Ok, cool, no problem there if you like OP character and all that. Then here comes the evil step mother, an average human with so so powers/ beauty and influence.

So what I felt like ranting about was this:
    If I was that reincarnated OP person, and I knew that my step mother or whatever was the b*tch who will do X, Y and Z in that otome game storyline, I fould just use my super-duper powers to make her fall off the stairs, cover her in a mud slide or burn her with fire, while using the invisibility magic so that no one knows it was me. Or use some other less violent way to get rid of her, such as have my father/ Knight/ etc witness the step-mother’s viciousness while being under my invisibility magic spell.

Why on earth the MC with major OP powers would just sit there and pretend it’s all good till the “main story begins”????? If you got the power and not the “apathetic, wanna just sleep or read books” type character- wouldn’t you want to deal with the future pests asap?

Haaaah, anyway, I already feel better, going back to searching for another light and funny novel.

Sabruness likes this.
  2. Suyaris

Suyaris 〘C̶a̶p̶t̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶P̶r̶i̶n̶c̶e̶s̶s̶〙『ℕℯTøℛi ᴅᴇᴠᴏᴛᴇᴇ』

Reading List:
    Link
    This is the problem to 80% of Overpowered Main Characters. Reminds me of that one RRL story that pissed me off so much.

3. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The novel "My Death Flag ......." start doing stuff from the start before the actual game start. He is already getting rid of the nuisance aka death flags.

Avagantimos and Meloman like this.
  4. Seigin

Seigin [Lolicon][GenderBender Banzai!]

Reading List:
    Link
    True. Couldn't wrap mah head in those plot. I would also remove the problem if i'm the mc.

Sabruness likes this.
  5. JinVodka

JinVodka 「Back to Work Back to Suffering _(-ω-`_)⌒)_」

Reading List:
    Link
    They are total lazy and afraid to make any actions that will cause them failures. They lack the intellect and brains to use their OP-ness in full potential. They only make OP so they look awesome which in reality they are actually hollow 1D characters. Characters intellect depends to the Authors so it's the author fault not being used it in full potential since they are afraid of failures.

In short they don't have the guts and neets that don't use their full potential due to fear of failing

Sabruness, Slayerwolfx2 and Fuyuneko like this.
  6. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    because a pimple should not be squeezed when it is just brand new. . . .

7. onnyfp

onnyfp Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, the herbivores...

8. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My problem with reincarnated otome game novels is, why is the mc so scared of having the same end as the game character? Like, often when mc reincarnate into the ''villain'' she'll be scared shittless when meeting other characters from the game, like the male lead, or the game female lead, but like, why? Most of the time the villain only have a bad ending because the villain did bad things, so if mc just don't do those bad things she'll be fine, so why is she acting like she have to avoid characters from the game, in fear of dying?

Sabruness, Fuyuneko and Meloman like this.
  9. Soren59

Soren59 MTL Shill

Reading List:
    Link
    Superstition maybe?

10. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually discovered an otome novel with an actually smart mc that actively destroys the death flags a few years before the main game starts. Shocking huh cuz the mc doesn't get op powers so she actually uses her brain, balanced by extremely bad? luck tho. Novel just being translated 15+ chaps tho but left a good impression.

AliceShiki and Meloman like this.
  11. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a lot of stupid otomo game, but several are good.
    Katarina & Reika are great as op otome protagonist

Sabruness, AliceShiki and Meloman like this.
  12. Avagantimos

Avagantimos Chosen Undead|Bearer of the Curse|Ashen One

Reading List:
    Link
    Harold Stokes from Death Flags deals with problems before the main story starts. Hell iirc time wise the “game” would’ve just started( maybe an hour or two) if you were playing the fictional game the story is about, and so many things have changed from the games original story.

13. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    Please share the name of such treasure :aww:

Sabruness likes this.
  14. Raizhee

Raizhee who

Reading List:
    Link
    ehh otome so it's probably JP so... typical japanese beta mc, nothing else left to say.

15. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just search up the novel Shini Yasui blahblah forgot the title cuz it's long
    Basically otome villainess done right

AliceShiki and Meloman like this.
  16. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh... Guess I'm lucky to have never found those yet... Agreed, it would be pretty annoying if she did nothing to solve her problems and simply dealt with it.

I prefer stuff like Eliza, got rid of her death flags at age 2~
    Sometimes it is something out of their control that will kill them, Shini Yasui is one example, Eliza is another.

Sure, I do agree that stuff like Bakarina is somewhat dumb, but that is clearly made for the comedy, so I think it's fine... I think I would only have a problem with all the "death flag fear" thing, if the author tried to make it serious, but it was obviously a non-issue.
    Oooooooooh, you also read it! *shakes pompoms*

It's a good novel~
    *nod nod nod* Though Reika-sama is from a Shoujo Manga... >.>

Meloman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.