LCD A VIP as Soon as You Log In (by Toika)

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Shield Loyalist, May 20, 2020.

1. luckymorris

luckymorris Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm dropping it.
    It's a real shame because it had a good foundation to write a good and fun read, but goddamn it, toika just wasted all of that with the harem, basically the school girls are complete cancer that lost any personnality trait they used to have just to become some mindless thirsty hoe that force themselves on MC. Claire and eunah are still okay, and tsukuyo seems fun, it would be okay if it was only those three but my guess is that the school girls are going to stick around, having their cringy catfight every 10 chapters or so.
    The deus ex machina that is the admin is getting seriously boring. And let's not forget the MC that is painfully bland despite remembering a traumatic and depressing past life.

I never had high expectation from toika novels but this serie can hardly qualified being better than ICDS which was pretty trash as well.

But to be fair, the awfull translation might have soured my judgement quite a bit.

Between that and "never die extra" (which i should mention, have a better translation despite being translated by the same team), where the MC is getting seriously fucking annoying with his low self-esteem, "Demon king" where i have no idea wtf is going on (once again, the translation doesn't help that) and "i login alone" which seems to be an EER rip-off (maybe an unfair statement, i didn't read much of it), i'm really disappointed in toika despite my low expectations.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    zereviewer likes this.
  2. Tarrian

Tarrian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're not a fan of harem, any of Toika's works are not for you. Just skip them as soon as you see the author name. Even when the author claims it's not going to be a harem (did that in the beginning for EER), we all know that's not going to happen. Don't endure the suffering and just let it go.

elengee and Shield Loyalist like this.
  3. luckymorris

Reading List:
    Link
    Did you even read my message?

zereviewer likes this.
  4. Tarrian

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, and just saying that it's classic Toika. The author won't change, the harem ideals won't change. If it bugs you, if the characters and their interactions bug you, then Toika isn't for you.

Toika does game mechanics.
    Toika does elf merchants/admins.
    Toika does catfights.
    Toika does harem.

This is Toika.

5. luckymorris

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't mind any of those things, it's how it's used here, everything is way overboard.
    Were there catfight in EER and I reincarnated for nothing? Sure, just not as cringy, not as many.
    Were there merchant? Don't recall that in EER and I reincarnated for nothing, but there was in "stop friendly fire" and "demon king", but they weren't a deus ex machina like the admin in this novel.
    Harem? Sure, i usually like them, like i stated, i'm alright with eunah, claire and tsukuyo, it's the princess and the girl in his club that are complete garbage, and the admin isn't any better by saying "fox" or "she should die" every time a girl interact with MC.

I perfectly know Toika,this novel is still garbage.

zereviewer likes this.
  6. Tarrian

Reading List:
    Link
    In EER the MC was the merchant with Vanguard. In SFF and ICDS they were god-adjacent entities. Demon king... not sure what level Rain was at, but they definitely pulled some Deus Ex level BS out for him with the drinks buffs and sudden acquisition of just what the MC needed at the time. The least powerful or deus ex machina was the elf from IRFN that he kept teasing by referring to her as an ahjumma and she kept trying to trick him out of the dungeon goodies by standing on the hidden items, etc, but still ended up as part of the harem anyway.

As for harems... oh man, I do love Toika, but even I have to say that his harems are... questionable and annoying at times. I just don't let it bug me, since it's just their style. All of the harem characters are almost constantly bickering with each other or cockblocking. Sometimes it's cute, sometimes it's not, but it's always there.

In this particular novel's case, I don't really like Eunah as a harem member.

DragonMage18 and Shield Loyalist like this.
  7. luckymorris

Reading List:
    Link
    The merchant weren't deus ex machina in those novels, they were helpfull, sure. In VIP, she constantly throw him what he exactly need the moment he is in danger or by telling him how to defeat certain ennemies or by summoning allies.
    Well, i guess that can be argued, but my point will still remain, sure it's toika, but it's just too much of everything. The harem were never that thirsty and pushy (beside maybe that one girl that was "daring", where in VIP they all are), the merchant were never that convenient and the catfights weren't that obnixious and cringy.
    I do appreciate some salt in my dish, but there is a point where it's too much, and too much is exactly what the problem with this novel is

Sea Dog likes this.
  8. Tarrian

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh man, did you read EER as it was being translated? Na YuNa had so much hate directed at her from the very beginning because she started out as the very HEIGHT of annoying. Then she and Lita/Liera started feuding. Erta was lowkey interfering c-blocking more than once. Heliena... was Heliena. Can't really say too much about her as the prime example of a succubus. And then there were the epilogue chapters that were pushing the annoying kid of the two annoying clan masters as a potential addition to his harem...

Actually, haha, I could point out real problems with all of Toika's harems, but I'd be here all damn day doing it. Every single one of them has at least one overbearing, pushy heroine.

9. Shield Loyalist

Shield Loyalist 『Instinctive』『Determined』『Status: Coding in Uni』

Reading List:
    Link
    <sidetalk>

I myself can say that this isn't as fun as the last Toika novel I finished (IRFN) but maybe it is just me being influenced by the other KN I'm reading.

I can slowly see the usual Toika though. The 'pioneering his own path' with the SP-craft, his signature event flags, the 'something that shall be used soon' and the 'I have no (insert what here)' that is apparent from the start.

EER - no friends
    ICDS - no mana
    IRFN - no 'proper' magic spell
    ILN - no friends, no job, no wings
    VIP - no mana

</sidetalk>

Now, on the chapters! It turns out the neighbor...no should I say employer noona(?) is the reason why the newspaper acquired battle images of the Death Puppeteer.

Eunah is confusingly alright with Claire dating Shin-hyuk. Well on her standpoint she still see him as a respectable elder that indirectly took care of her during her darker days. It shows a probability to change in the near future tho.

And...<Ancient Warrior's Shelter>. Is this the time for a "special training ground"?!

10. Tarrian

Reading List:
    Link
    You forgot:
    Stop, Friendly Fire! - No hair, no 'that', no skin, only bones. (large-ish harem)
    Demon King - No longer human (only two so far)
    Never Die Extra - Yandere death flags galore, currently 12 years old (harem growing by the day)

She's not really okay with it though, as her indecisiveness at the end shows. Her sounding okay with it is actually strange since she was earlier acting all girly and pink-colored about the MC, but then found out he was 'Grandpa'... She has some issues to work through.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  11. jacobpaige

jacobpaige Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm really having a hard time understanding why Baek In Ha is friends with the MC. He was there for the MC when no one else would be, and has striven to help him whenever he had the power to do so and the MC would let him. The MC on the other hand, constantly spurns, degrades, and otherwise demeans him while doing absolutely nothing for him in return. Its an extremely lopsided relationship that makes no real sense.

Does anyone else find the conversations fairly confusing when there's no indication of who's talking to who? Its kind of annoying.

Honestly, thinking about dropping the series. I don't really like the MC, there's no real challenges or growth left for him, and the story is focusing way too much on the harem.

zereviewer likes this.
  12. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The girls at his school are very annoying, they were the reason I dropped it, now I’m waiting for it to end so I can skim to see what happens. I agree with you on their translations that could use a lot of work a lot of times. Doesn’t help that they said to bear with it till later chapters for it to get better on one of the novels(if I recall it was 20+ chapters) which is kinda rude and such but oh well.

Never die extra I have no clue what Author was thinking to make MC so young since that’s pretty boring.

I rather not talk about Demon King :notlikeblob::notlikeblob::notlikeblob:

Now back to this novel, I personally feel like Toika just took everything from his other novels and just mashed it together and said let’s see how it goes, Only harem member I enjoyed is Claire since she hasn’t been annoying once.
    The whole power scaling is a little too fast at times and while the blacksmithing was cool in EER I feel like it’s boring in this one(doesn’t help that the senior in his club makes me annoyed to no end)

Just my opinion :blobnobully::blobnobully::blobnobully:

13. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I also find it very difficult at times to tell who is speaking. It could be translation since I haven’t had the problem with EER/IRFN/SFF.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Baek turned out to be evil, otherwise I see no reason for him to be MC’s friend since MC does nothing for him or even acts like a friend.

The Author seemed to not give any challenge for MC for some reason.

The harem in this novel is the worst I’ve ever read and I tend to mainly read harem novels, mainly since every girl is annoying except Claire to me. The others always get jealous or interfere with each other and Toika just lets MC watch for some reason.

jacobpaige likes this.
  14. Tarrian

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh they're there, doing a re-read of EER atm and it's one of the very best translations for a Toika novel, but it's not uncommon to find myself scratching my head wondering which line belonged to which person. The translator did their best to label lines with names but there were apparently times when even they couldn't figure out who was who, especially with interactions among the angel trio or when surrounded by haremites.

Actually, I did a tongue-in-cheek list of things that Toika does in their novels but I hadn't thought of this one, thanks. There's a good chance of betrayal along the way, particularly from a close friend or supposed ally or a supporting group. ICDS, SFF, IRFN, EER, DK all had them, and the others that are in process of translation probably will too.

Toika, who hurt ya? It'll be okay, really!

Shield Loyalist likes this.
  15. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Baek is probably a female, acting like a douche to keep women away from blowing her cover. Something like females can't inherit that guild or something.

As a side note, Janus being suspected made me think of the shadow on the human stalker and the scene of Janus fighting and stabbing his shadow. I'm guessing he's turned his back on Jormungand and the Godslayer swords are to kill their leaders, lol.
    He wanted the new sword to be able to deal with fire, so expect a major antagonist to be fire related.

I'm suspicious of the yandere that buys all his shit, probably the major villainess, potentially fire related (that janus wants to fight?) Maybe the whole VIP group is related to Jormungand.

So far, the females in this novel are kind of a blur in my imagination because there's not much to work with. Just hair colour, eyes (for like 2 or 3) and the two big tittied ones, one dark elf like and a legal loli with a huge spear.
    Too little description/buildup for too many girls at the same time.
    Most of the time i'm like 'who the fuck is karen again'.

jacobpaige likes this.
  16. Shield Loyalist

Shield Loyalist 『Instinctive』『Determined』『Status: Coding in Uni』

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm...this is quite interesting. And I find it kind of plausible too. :hmm::hmm:

...who is that? I kinda don't remember everyone other than very recurring characters so I need a refresh.

Wait...Eleanor is a loli?!

I do not think so? That guy with the elves is a VIP and clearly not with Jormungand.

17. Efgbog

Efgbog Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think he means the S class shadow monster that protected him from Eleanor? Or whatever her name was.

elengee likes this.
  18. yogesh12

yogesh12 Hater of Generic Novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol my post got deleted. Well, whatever. I thought not mentioning the websites was ok but apparently it was not so I'll not post it again.

19. yogesh12

yogesh12 Hater of Generic Novels

Reading List:
    Link
    The main problem with me not reading VIP is the subpar translations since you don't know who is speaking to whom. So it was very tiring to read the chaps and so I dropped this novel.

20. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Same here 'advocating piracy' even though i never said i approved or used the site that you didn't even mention. :notlikeblob:

@Shield Loyalist she's not mentioned as a loli but there are certain minor descriptions 'her tiny body' , her being short, the breast comparison where the enchanter girl is like oh well at least i have more than ellie.
    So, i wouldn't go as far as calling her a loli, but she's definitely a 'petite' archetype that matches the term.

Also, the tree guy not being there physically and got kind of awkward when asked about it. Let's just assume that the giant is actually his main body.
    He did go on about cycles of creation and destruction, and Anvil would understand (which coincides with some of the repressed memories, the blood stains in the shelter etc.)

Descriptions are severely lacking in this novel, character building is good for half the cast though. But things like, having a 'curvy' (also not explained enough in which ways she's curvy) riding behind you on a bike and you don't get a 'her huge breasts pressed onto his back'.
    Somehow i feel like this got edited or toned down somehow.

Also, empress grows a pair of double G titties and nobody ever mentions anything about it after? you'd think it'd be a major issue to the media or their interactions, as she should now be thiccer than claire.
    I guess it was just to distantiate her from the 'granddaughter' role, by maturing her physically and then later on mentally too.

(the other toika novels felt like the women just had more life to them and could even be used as fap material. This screams Noona A, Noona B, Noona C. It wouldn't surprise me if he wrote this long before the other novels of higher quality and only published it after he got popular?)

Anyway, the stone in the sword was yellow and dragon related? might coincide with the dragon soul he has right now. I'm wondering if the empress also got influenced by her broche or if it'll end up completing his skill and transcend him to beyond human.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020