Spoiler About Ascendance of a Bookworm

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Yumika12345, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Bakanogami

Bakanogami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As stated above, the social strata is largely based around varying levels of magic people have, and nobles can't conceive unless their magic is at a similar level.

For nobles, having children means having to mix the couple's magic together (in addition to sex). In addition to everyone having mana pools of differing sizes, everyone's magic is also a certain mix of colors, each color having an associated element and god. Ordinarily, magic that's too dissimilar will repulse each other, but it's common practice to get around this by using a potion that render's one mana more receptive to outside influence. One of the couple will take the potion and have their mana dyed in the color of their spouse. The new mana they generate is their original color, though, so it'll go back to normal after about a month. The child usually inherits a mana color based on that of their parents.

Things are a bit special for Myne, though, because Myne has the devouring. Since her mana comes appeared spontaneously, instead of being inherited, it's very close to being colorless. (It's technically an extremely faint yellow, which is the color of Ehrenfest) However, in part 2 she has to have her memory inspected to prove her innocence in an incident she was involved in. The memory-scanning process also requires the mixing of mana by the user and the one being scanned, using the same potion. Ferdinand was selected to do it both because he knew Myne and because he has very rare rainbow-colored mana of all elements, reducing the chance of rejection. There was an unexpected side effect of this, though. Because Myne's natural mana is colorless, it couldn't overwrite Ferdinand's color after the procedure, meaning that for basically the rest of the series Myne had the same rare rainbow-colored mana as Ferdinand's. Since memory-reading is rare, usually the only reason why a noblewoman would be dyed in the color of another would be if they were married and having sex. This causes a number of comedic misunderstandings later in the series.

It comes up again towards the end:
    Myne is temporarily possessed by a Goddess. The process dyes her mana again, this time giving her super-potent Goddess mana that's too strong for her body and comes with various side effects. Trying to vent it all out and dye her mana another color before it kills her is one of the final arcs of the series.

Tjanie, moneng85, Yuukiyuki and 7 others like this.
  2. Fantasy-Magician

Fantasy-Magician Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pft- I forgot about that tidbit on mana color... largely because it wasn't so important until late in the series.
    But recalling it again is hilarious when Myne have a mini mental breakdown when she realizes why they share the same colored mana, and what sexual innuendo in "Dye me with your color" means.
    Though from what I see, it's very likely Ferdinand forgot about the side effect back then. Can't blame the guy since his ward suddenly under a threat of being disposed of. Then again... as said by @Bakanogami , it's an emergency and the choice of Ferdinand mind-diving Myne was make sense.
    Myne isn't aware of Devouring children's colorless mana until Dirk is baptized too and in spite of his intermediate level mana, his looks lackluster due to lacking in color.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    kiara8, moneng85, Yuukiyuki and 5 others like this.
  3. EnchantedMerchant

EnchantedMerchant Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    W-wow. This novel never ceases to amaze me with how much thought is put into the world building, and the differing levels of magic makes a for a great romeo and juliet kind of story xD. So, from what I gathered, the color of the magic you get is based on your lineage, according to the color of the family owning the territory right? I wonder how the anime is going to handle all the implied romantic subcontext between maine and ferdinand, because according to what I've read so far, it has far too many hints to pass off as purely platonic.

• Hmmm I don't particularly understand how Ferdinand's closeness to Maine is a problem? Like, they're worried that Rosemaine will be tied to Ferdinand because of their closeness and similar mana and they won't be able to exploit Maine? I'm also curious, what do you mean by her and ferdinand's reputation?

I'm really sorry but assuming that you guys are okay with more questions, I want to ask does the novel breach the topic of lgbt?

Also, how does rosemaine fare in those aristocratic social situations, since it's more political and Rosemaine is far too unguarded at most times. How did moving to the noble district shape her character?

4. Fantasy-Magician

Reading List:
    Link
    It's mainly because Maine's physical age and the lack of noble culture exposure until MUCH later, so when it happens early on readers don't get the significance all that much. This is understandable because the story is mostly from Myne's third POV narrative, just like us readers she is learning the culture, value and common sense of that world bit by bit. During her merchant days there isn't much confusion because Benno, Marc and Frieda went out their way to teach Myne the way of their trade.

This isn't happening in noble society, or at least the pace of her guardians aside from Ferdinand teaching her all of these doesn't match the pace of her changing lifestyle. There's NOT enough time, so they just teach her the bare basic... or she gets distracted by the accessibility of books. It gets worse because nobles talk in roundabout way more often than not, and only Ferdinand bother to drag her to the secret room and talk in her language.

Since I see you read all sorts of spoiler here, I am sure you know about Ferdinand's dark and mysterious identity. He is of royal blood, and what the royal family fears the most is Ferdinand making a bid for the throne too. What stops the guy from doing so before Myne come to the picture? His public status as an illegitimate child, priesthood and also lack of a powerful spouse.
    Then comes Myne... who is not only a legitimate child supported by both Jilvester and Karsted, Ferdinand also work behind the scene to title her as Ehrenfest saint. Myne is everything Ferdinand need to get political power.
    • She has great amount of mana that just short of royal level by her first year in school, not to mention all element mana like Ferdinand.
    • Myne is responsible to Ehrenfest' rising rank.
    • Her status as holy lady of Ehrenfest gives her status as someone beloved by Gods, so she can easily pass as someone 'Scripture fundamentalist' faction in temple who wants King approved by God will give backing to.
    • She has tons of money and business, other territories will flock to make connection with her. It doesn't help the FIRST kid she try to make friend with in school is the legitimate daughter of the military territory Dulkenfanger. (because she thinks Hannerole is fellow book lover)
    • Her love for books that don't make sense to nobles in general- how insistent she is in visiting the library each year can be mistaken as Myne snooping around for 'King's crest' that happen to be shaped as a book. Hence the suspicion that Myne is under Ferdinand's order to look for Glutris Height.
    But mostly- Ferdinand's closeness to Myne is a problem because of the reason you said. As shaky as Ferdinand's position is, one can't deny he is very powerful and nobody but the muscle idiots from Dulkenfanger wants to fight him head-on.
    Also- noble's matchmaking is all about conceiving more powerful children, both Ferdinand and Myne are OP- anyone who cares about their position of power wouldn't want to see this match happen.
    It's also not helping how indifferent Myne is to Wilfried, she doesn't treat him like her fiancee at all. He also didn't appear to be caring like a fiancee either to her. Ferdinand in the other hand... showers her with gifts all the time, medicines (NEED) books (bribe) Amulets (defense)

Nooooot- as far as I know... but Myne did attract some fangirls- crazy ones. Also- her noble mother, Elvira might or might not be a fujoshi. At least I feel the vibe from her LOL

DEPENDS on how you look at it, she is wonderful when it comes to attracting attention from important people but she is an absolute wreck when it comes to following instruction from her guardians. If they told her to not do one thing, by next week reports will come in horde that she did a dozen of things and one of it is one they ask her to not do at all cost.

As a fan who love her, I willl say she did well to amuse us but objectively... she is a trainwreck as usual. Her etiquette is excellent but she stands out like a sore thumb and gets distracted by books all the time. In Ferdinand's words, "We told you to pass your school life peacefully, but apparently we don't share the same understanding on the word peace."

As for how noble district changes her character... hm, she gets firmer with people for sure and also getting better in hiding her emotion in front of strangers. Though...it's more correct she is getting better at acting like a noble daughter, personality wise... not so much.
    Oh- and Myne notices she did take after some of Ferdinand's habit unconsciously like tapping his temple and such.
    Also she takes more on the role of 'taking care' of people, the lack of need to use physical power helps as she is more often than not teaching people around her like she did Lutz.
    It gets even worse with Ferdinand though... we don't really notice until part 5 that Myne is basically as much as Ferdinand's caretaker as he was hers. She is the only one who can go to his secret room, so she drags him out to eat. She train people to lighten his work load, and also share his job.
    Then he left for another territory, and Mama Myne just have to send food, research materials, and letters periodically... In part one and two she didn't do this extensively, and her reason always related to books one way or another. by part 5 it becomes natural for her to take care of people, especially Ferdinand.
    The reliable guy in part two by part 4-5 is branded as 'workaholic mad scientist who smells like mana recovery medicine everyday and have zero idea how to take care of himself'
    So yeah--- Ferdinand's level drops to the bottom in Myne's eyes the moment she has to drag his sorry butt out of his lab.

It's fine since I love rambling, keep asking and we will answer.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    kiara8, Tjanie, moneng85 and 7 others like this.
  5. impatientreader

impatientreader New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From what has been described here when we are introduced to Wilfried he is kinda annoying. If this is not me misinterpreting what has been said does he become more tolerable or likable as the storying progresses? If he does not improve does he at least not too much attention in the story?

Fantasy-Magician likes this.
  6. Fantasy-Magician

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, he was annoying and NOT just kinda when we just get to know him. He was basically the noble version of Gil, but not as quickly redeemed for various reason. Wilfried is spoiled rotten by his family, and it's the kind of toxic love that's different than Myne's parents' sincere but also firm care. It gets really grating because Ferdinand gets first row seat to assess how bad Wilfried is, and then said something like- "Raising a noble child is expensive, if he didn't put an effort worth the cost you should get rid of him."
    He even lower his standard, not comparing Wilfried to him or Rosemyne but to Lutz and Gil. Imagine the embarrassment of seeing your noble nephew can't even write, read or even know what responsibility is.

Rosemyne as always is more compassionate for kids so she propose a second chance for Wilfried and educate the guy the same way she did her orphans. Solved? Nope- Wilfried have another issue, due to raised by his grandma- his closest family is Veronica (the big bad woman in part 3-4) so he makes a scandal... with going to see her (I think?) and basically wash Myne's effort down the drain. Which lead to his engagement to Rosemyne just so he can still be Jilvester's heir.
    Charlotte REALLY hates the unfairness of this, because Wilfried is basically making Myne clean up after him AGAIN. She even declares if she is a man, Charlotte would fight Wilfried for Myne's hand.

He is more tolerable once he is OUT of focus for most of the time and he did his part well as Aub's son, he become a more reliable brother. Not so much as a fiancee but it works to make us forget his early mistakes. However... as Myne's fiancee, you can't help but wonder WHAT he is good for? He just report and report shenanigans Myne did in school but lacking effort in preventing her from making problem. It's not an exaggeration that Wilfried NEVER really see Rosemyne as his equal, he has inferior complex towards her so if she did something Wilfried would toss the problem to Ferdinand most of the time.
    It become apparent really quickly his engagement to Myne isn't going to work out, I am not sure if there's anyone taking this arrangement all that seriously even in universe. Myne certainly don't.
    So yeah- Wilfried's matured and become less annoying, but story-wise- he is one character whose growth isn't as fast as he ought to. Not sure if it's his fault, by part 4 I just feel he is super unlucky.

kiara8, lazynoodles, moneng85 and 4 others like this.
  7. Bakanogami

Bakanogami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wilfried is one of the least popular characters in the series. Early on he's depicted as a bit of a brat, and while he gets better he never really comes together as a solid character. His role is largely being the straight man who has to deal with Myne going out of control at school. His only real big character scene comes later in the series when the stress of being Myne's fiancee and the presumptive heir (and a faction starting to build complaining about why he's the heir and not Myne) starts to get to him. The end result is that he and Myne agree there was never any romance between them, one factor that leads to their engagement being annulled. The seat of presumptive heir is also opened up to any of his siblings, and the series ends with it as yet unclear who will take it.

Wilfried is also one of the few characters who ends the series without a spouse lined up. People thought that he might get together with Myne's friend Hannelore, the main character of the spinoff/sequel, since they had one or two moments together in the main series, but last I checked things were still a bit rocky there.

Tjanie, moneng85, Yuukiyuki and 6 others like this.
  8. bittervalley1

bittervalley1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, early part of part 4 was Wilfried's best time. When Rosemyne was out of commission for two years, he and Charlotte worked hard to maintain the education system Rosemyne established in the "winter room" where nobles children spend time together before entering the Academy. They also worked hard to supplement Rosemyne's mana by picking up temple duties (mana dedication, spring festival, fall festival), and mana dedication to foundation magic tools. They had difficult time but they grew significantly and achieve sense of duty through those experiences. So, when Rosemyne woke up and then went to the Academy with Wilfried, he was rather a confident young man. He did pretty well academically although a little naive in socializing. Even after engaged with Rosemyne, he was doing ok for a year or so. He was even taking part in the Rosemyne's printing business, and was in charge of inspecting other town for their preparedness in setting up new printing workshop. It is later in the 3rd year of the academy that thing start to fall apart for him.

kiara8, Tjanie, moneng85 and 5 others like this.
  9. EnchantedMerchant

EnchantedMerchant Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What happened exactly?

10. bittervalley1

Reading List:
    Link
    Then, it continues on to what Bakanogami described in #248.

11. Fantasy-Magician

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh yeah, can't deny he did a good job when it comes to official duty (extra ones) they by right didn't have to do but DID anyway.
    I was quite unfair I suppose in assessing him, so a correction... it's not that he didn't put effort but he is not as capable as other character in supporting Myne. This won't be a problem if he is not her fiancee, but he is and Wilfried just fall short in comparison of a superman like Ferdinand. Also again, it won't as much as a problem if Rosemyne isn't so close to Ferdinand it becomes a glaring difference on who Rosemyne depends on more.

This doesn't help what said by @bittervalley1 said, no matter how competent he is for his age and position... Myne make him looks bad in comparison...
    1. He is the designated heir and engaged to Myne, so by principle he should be better than her but he isn't. This make it looks like Jilvester engaged him to Myne so she can clean up after him.
    2. He is raised by a criminal and then involved in scandal involving said criminal when he should know better. This stain isn't going away, his grandma's enemies become his even though technically they're his allies.
    3. Rosemyne's on paper is Kalstred's daughter so she has both Aub's blood and pure one that's not stained by that of a criminal like Veronica so they wants Myne to be Jilvester's heir instead.
    Also- after breaking their engagement... Wilfried looks super bad in public eyes by virtue of being the jilted fiance. And the one who jilted him is the SAINT of Ehrenfest to boot. She even become the Aub of other territory, and get engaged to their uncle. It doesn't help to public, Rosemyne and Ferdinand seems to be a very loving couple so Wilfried looks a bit like a villain if not a pitiful guy.
    Also Ferdinand... from Hannerole's POV, his action of putting so many flashy magic tools accessories on her is heavy PDA by noble standard. So yeah, we can blame Ferdi and Myne for making him look bad while actually he isn't all that bad.

kiara8, moneng85, Yuukiyuki and 7 others like this.
  12. impatientreader

impatientreader New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks you all for answering my question. Can you all go into more detail about the royal family at the end of the series? Are they antagonistic towards Myne for have so much political power? What is the person who ultimately became king like?

13. Nighthawlc

Nighthawlc Nyan nyan nyan nyan

Reading List:
    Link
    The king (トラオクヴァール, Traokvar?) at the start of the story (who was the fifth prince of the previous generation) and first prince (Sigiswald) each become Aubs of their own duchies that were newly made by merging old duchies (that were abolished during the civil war) with some centrally governed land.
    The second prince (Anastasius) married Eglantine in Part 4 who is the daughter of the previous generation's third prince (who died during the civil war), and who was adopted by the previous Aub of the duchy that (at the start of the story) was ranked first.
    The third prince (Hildebrand) became engaged to a archduke candidate from Ahrensbach (Letizia) at the start of Part 5, which causes him to become a archduke candidate himself and not royalty. He continued to be engaged to her at the end of the story when Ahrensbach became Alexandria (his fiancé is also planned to be adopted by Ferdinand after his marriage with RoZemyne).
    At the end of the story the new king is Eglantine.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2021
  14. Fantasy-Magician

Reading List:
    Link
    Excluding what @Nighthawlc have revealed... in which where they are at the end of the story.
    They're not very happy that their position is falling apart, but Ferdinand is really angry with royal family and so is Rosemyne with how the royals run the country to the ground and incessant attempt to control them. So what the royal's problem with them?

• [*]Traokvar is scared Ferdinand will make claim to the throne and cause another war and in the same time think if Rosemyne become part of his family, all problem will be solved.

[*]Egrantine is terribly misunderstanding the situation with Rosemyne, thinking she is returning the favor to her and in the same time like Traokvar paving the path to hell for Rosemyne thinking she is helping our girl.

[*]Anastasius... nah- as pushy as he can be for his love, he is surprisingly stay out of problem.

[*]Siegswald is the major offender in Ferdinand's book, he is very ambitious for the throne and proposed to Rosemyne to reach his goal. Basically the last guy you want to be Zent/King
      [*]Hildebrand, the youngest prince who is too naive but in the same time inherit royal's family tendency to rampage to get what they want. He fell in love with Rosemyne and fall to enemies' ploy, thinking he has to fight for throne too to have a chance with Rosemyne.
    Ferdinand remarks they're beyond shameless and foolish for what listed above, so he basically FORCED them to admit they screw up a big-time and accept a couple of conditions to make up for it. Rosemyne also threaten them with airing their dirty laundry to the public via printing.

• [*]Recognize Rosemyne as the incarnation of Goddess and Aub of new Ahrenbach

[*]Title of Zent won't be hereditary by the next generation.

[*]But to avoid conflict due to drastic change, Rosemyne is willing to accept the next aub from royal family but since you screw up you have to bind yourself to Rosemyne (collateral so the next zent won't mess with them again)
      [*]Cancel the decree to adopt Rosemyne and engage her to Siegfield, but all benefits promised to Ehrenfest stays.

[*]Acknowledge Ferdinand's engagement to Rosemyne.
    Traoktovar is a weary old man so he just admit he screw up and move on, Siegswald is unhappy but there's nothing he can do and become the biggest loser of all, Anastasius is unhappy his wife have to take responsibility, Eglantine own up to her mistake... and Hildrebrand... is super unwilling but his hand is tied like Siegswald. SO yeah the story concludes with our main pair not taking royal family's nonsense and set up a solid insurance that Eglantine won't turn on them EVER.

15. Huntres24

Huntres24 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can anyone please tell me were to read this books or a good translator app for it

16. Nighthawlc

Nighthawlc Nyan nyan nyan nyan

Reading List:
    Link
    Proper English translations only go up to the end of Part 2 Volume 2 while in Japan the WN is finished and the LN just released Part 4 Volume 9 last month. Becoming a J-Novel Club member will give to access to the most up-to-date English translations.
    There is no good machine translation. If you're really that desperate just use Google translate of the WN but it'll fry your brain.

Fantasy-Magician and Huntres24 like this.
  17. Huntres24

Huntres24 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just waiting for the next English novel from the series coming out now on the 20 of this month she is starting to work as a blue shire maiden in the temple

18. Huntres24

Huntres24 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the spoilers happy to now I was wright that she and luz were just friends , but he and truly wowww new Ralph was not for her when came this episode were were she went to the north side to learn ,she wasn't afraid of changes and wanted to be better almost every commoner here like their normal life

19. bittervalley1

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the worst thing he is angry about is that royal family do not bother to learn the old language and read the old document to learn the old way of the system and that they degraded to the point of losing the true means of governing. It is pretty cute plot setting that during the early temple life, because of the joy of being able to read anything at all, Myne spent significant time reading old scriptures and learning the old languages with help of Ferdinand, who is also good at old languages. The fact she read those documents are, only because there weren't much more else to read there, and when there is library, she just have to read everything in there. With this knowledge, when she arrived at the Academy, she cruise through many old document she encountered with ease. Ferdinand scold at a prince later that learning old language shouldn't be much of a burned because Myne was able to do in just one or two seasons while busily working as director of orphanage.

20. bittervalley1

Reading List:
    Link
    About a month ago, just got curious of this subject, so I played around with Google translate which I haven’t touched for more than 10 years. I thought, well, it may have improved significantly over the last 10 years, so I read a couple of chapters of the Bookworm through Google translate and carefully reviewed the result comparing to the original.

It is still junk. It’s accuracy is 30% at the most (I’m generous here. “Accurate” here means - “it is not mistranslation”, hardly a good translation). But of course you wouldn’t know what that 30% is. Here are the patterns of errors I see:
    • It is often confused with what the subject of the sentence is.
    • It is often confused with what the object of the sentence too.
    • I was hugely disappointed with the quality of the dictionary. I would expect google should be good with big data. It made really puzzling mistake even with what I considered relatively easy word (words without many context dependent multiple meanings)
    • And for the word with context dependent multiple meanings, often wrong one is selected
    • Seems to know very little about phrases, even the very basic ones.
    • When thing gets a little bit complicated, I’ve seen it quite often that Google translate just drops what it gave up on, without any trace that it did so.
    • It can completely misunderstand the structure of sentence with just a little bit of complexity in grammar.
    • With all the issues combined, it is particularly bad with dialogues, since they tend to rely heavily on context.
    In a nutshell, you’ll get a jumble of questionable 5Ws that you could completely misunderstand what is going on. Yes, you sometimes get a pretty "accurate" translation, but they are rare and far apart.

The most important thing it misses is anything to do with expression of feelings and emotions, which tend to require more careful attention to translate right, with frail vocabularies with many subtle differences depending on the context. Combine that with with all the issues mentioned above, its ability to convey those are non existent.

It is likely that Google translate works much better with more logical source documents, like computer manual or business document where conveying information is the main purpose.

But when encountered with literature sprinkled with trickery of language to induce the emotion of the reader, it falls flat on its face.

I would imagine reading novel through Google translate is like watching a movie with three layers of sunglasses on while somebody blasting boombox right next to you.

I cannot see how you would not get a headache.