Spoiler About Ascendance of a Bookworm

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Yumika12345, Mar 16, 2017.

1. CluelessClover

CluelessClover Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Since Lutz and Turi ended up being associates of Maine for her company, it kinda became hierarchical in a sense wherein Maine was the boss and Lutz and turi were executives. In that sense, Lutz became someone who was more and more not suited to Maine in terms of position. And, in fact, it is Turi who has more interaction with Lutz (though does not get as much coverage) since both of them works on Maine’s many many projects. Hence, even though Turi says she does not want to think of love, the two grows up together interacting and basically memorizing each other’s habits (i can imagine the same way Lutz was with Maine at the start of the story).

And as the story progressed, only the chief priest was perfect for Maine in terms of character growth and background.

2. Bakanogami

Bakanogami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The end is really sweet. I cried my eyes out at the epilogue. And there is some fanfiction on Pixiv, but I haven't really read it yet.

Hannerole's spin off is fun. It's a direct sequel from the perspective of Maine's friend she makes at school. It's mostly more of a traditional romance, as she is torn between different suitors, but we get peeks at what Maine is up to, and in the most recent chapter it takes a big twist.

Unfortunately the author's very busy lately with the LN versions, the manga, and drama CDs, so it's updated very sporadically.

She shows up now and then, but is one of the many part 1 characters who don't get much screentime later in the series. The noble they mention she got engaged to in exchange for helping with her magic is a low-ranking knight family. Her fiancee's younger brother becomes Maine's bodyguard starting late in part 2 and is a major character for the rest of the series.

As good as part 1 is, the real meat of the series comes later. Part 4 is basically just her going to Hogwarts and taking over the library. It was around there that the series really became popular in Japan, and most fanart is of the later arcs.

Lutz is a cute kid, but Ferdinand is a much richer character who plays off Maine much better. And the drama of Maine being separated from her family and her efforts to get back to them is really the core of the series.

3. ElefantVerd

ElefantVerd It's not me, and it's not you.

Reading List:
    Link
    Rosemaïne traveling and traveling and traveling...

[​IMG]

Yukari_me likes this.
  4. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    Some images I find here and there...

Mahou Shoujo Rosemaïne:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Günter, Maïne's mother (can't remember her name), Maine, Tuuly, Oscar, Beno, Lutz brothers, Lutz.
    [​IMG]

The Miko Aprentice
    [​IMG]

People left behind?
    [​IMG]

More Mahou Jouchan Maïne:
    [​IMG]

School?
    [​IMG]

First attempts to make paper:
    [​IMG]

Fight during winter?
    [​IMG]

Maïne/Rosemaïne, orphanage director?
    [​IMG]

Maïne/Rosemaïne, first books and first Trombe fighting
    [​IMG]

Maïne and Lutz, first workshop, and Frieda:
    [​IMG]

Maïne, feeding bird food for a bird brain:
    [​IMG]

Still from the first arc:
    [​IMG]

Maïne, the times that are forever lost:
    [​IMG]

Maïne, the first Magic Contract you will never forget:
    [​IMG]

Rosemaïne, Temple Chief:
    [​IMG]

Maïne? Blue apprentice?
    [​IMG]

Maïne, and the books, and in the background, Corinna and Tuule.
    [​IMG]

Günther and wife, protecting Maïne:
    [​IMG]

kiara8, Ceilo27, By.Eve and 13 others like this.
  5. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    Qual a melhor tradução para aqueles animais feitos de manastone, que o google translator traduz como "cowardly beast"? (por exemplo, capítulo 296, https://ncode.syosetu.com/n4830bu/296/ )

6. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Snip.

Details! Please??

7. Bakanogami

Reading List:
    Link
    At the end of Part 2 there's a huge emotional moment as Maine is placed in a situation where she has to be adopted by a noble and separated from her family, with everyone having to sign contract magic not to treat her as a sister/daughter. She becomes Rosemaine, and they have to kneel and treat her as a noble.

After that characters from part 1 show up less and less, with Rosemaine growing more and more depressed as it becomes more and more difficult to have any contact with them, even in small ways like catching glimpses of each other from a distance, or buying hairpins from Tuly.

In the very end she manages to use her authority so that they're in a situation where the contract magic doesn't apply, and her family is in a new apartment where she's made a hidden room with a teleportation magic circle connected to a hidden room in her library. After Lutz and her family come home from the coming of age ceremony (that she presided over) she suddenly bursts in, calling herself Maine for the first time in hundreds of chapters, has a reunion with her family, and introduces Ferdinand.

8. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you~~~ : ) I had fears that this series would feature a downer ending ala Saiunkoku Monogatari or similar, so when I heard that it had finished, I started getting antsy. (whew)

9. Bakanogami

Reading List:
    Link
    No, it's quite a happy ending. Almost everything wraps up nicely, and it's looking like the Hannalore spinoff will address those last few dangling threads.

Maine saves her home duchy and the whole kingdom from an invasion, temporarily gains some of the power of a goddess, gets her own duchy from the war spoils that she renames Alexandria, builds her own personal library there, and gets married.

If there's any negative stuff in the ending, it's that she herself still doesn't feel many romantic feelings for Ferdinand(though it's strongly implied that she just hasn't noticed her own feelings), things are left a little open for her friend Hannalore and her adopted brother Villefried (which are getting resolved in the spinoff), and she has some lingering PTSD from stuff she saw in the war (which is implied to be getting better).

10. moto

moto Spam Bot

Reading List:
    Link
    Whays this saiynkoku ending?

11. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The FL(MC) is possessed with a immortal spirit and is doomed to die so her child can live. Put in a bad way, she kinda raises and breaks flags (and hearts) with just about every hot bishie in 9 kingdoms, while remaining totally oblivious / uncaring / dedicated to her job. Then she gives in to the romance and dies, not really for love, but again, for the sake of the kingdom. She's a great, strong, intelligent, female MC in a JP series who actually works to earn respect, then overdoes it to death. After the ending, I kinda wondered at the time if the entire 18+4 novels were actually a seriously stealthy condemnation of intelligent, capeable, career minded women. I doesn't reach anything like the mindscrew level of Madoka, but then, few things can. : )

I'm really enjoying our somewhat odd Maine, and I didn't want to see that kind of downer / everybody-wins-except-the-MC ending. Especially after some folks started talking about Maine's death. : )

moneng85, Callumcortes, Jukki and 5 others like this.
  12. moto

moto Spam Bot

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah okay. Kinda happy i didnt bother reading the novel now after the anime.

Also, maine being hinted at having a short life span across the start of the series had me bother she might crock half way in.

Jarrow likes this.
  13. Bakanogami

Reading List:
    Link
    Maine's disease is life threatening in part 1 because she has no way to decrease her buildup of magic. That gets solved by part 2 when she enters the temple and gets ways to use it there. She remains small, weak, and prone to bouts of sickness, and there's continuing treatment afterwards. She also has some close calls with assassination attempts and the like. Her constantly collapsing and seeming to be on the verge of death kind of turns into a running gag after a while.

That being said, "Maine" does legally die in universe, in that they fake her death when she becomes a noble and she gets renamed to Rosemaine.

Yuukiyuki, Jukki and Kaylee like this.
  14. ElefantVerd

Reading List:
    Link
    What is the magic beast of Rosemaine? The MTL confuses me, but I think it's a bus with a panda-bear theme. Is that right? I somewhat have the image of chibi Elsie from Kami no Mizo Shiru Sekai driving a fire truck...

I stopped reading the MTL midway the Achademy Arch (chapter 300 something), the translation was giving me headaches...

15. Bakanogami

Reading List:
    Link
    Lesser-Kun is supposed to be the catbus from Totoro, only with a red panda (lesser panda in Japanese, this the name) instead of a cat. It’s also typically shrunk down to Maine size, though she can make it as big as a real bus.

Everyone else uses normal pegususes and such. She made it that way because she was worried about falling off a normal mount, and was more comfortable using car controls than reins.

Everyone makes fun of her for it because there’s a smelly monster that looks like a red panda.

Ease, Shizun and JimmyFalcon like this.
  16. Baturinsky

Baturinsky Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does Benno pay Maine some cut for her paper recipe as of end of book 1/book 2? It was mentioned "idea fee" of 30% in book 2, but it was MTL, so not sure. And Maine seemed to be quite strapped for cash for orphanage.

17. Bakanogami

Reading List:
    Link
    I...think so? It's been a while, and eventually they stop going into quite as much detail about Maine's financial affairs. I don't remember if it was a one time payment or a royalties thing though.

18. Baturinsky

Baturinsky Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not quite right.They were not going to be punished. Gunther was even promoted for that later. But Maine's identity had to be changed to secure Maine's authority as a born noble and to protect her commoner family from possible future problems.

19. Bakanogami

Reading List:
    Link
    IIRC it was a bit of a mix. Maine had been wanting to find ways to safely stay with her family even though it wasn't really realistic- she needed to be adopted by a powerful noble to get protection for both her and her family. Ferdinand and Sylvester basically used the events at the temple to force her to go through with the decision.

The official record of all events were rewritten, any crimes by Maine and her family were swept under the rug, and they used the event to clean up a lot of Sylvester's political opponents.

Jukki, Kaylee and JimmyFalcon like this.
  20. Baturinsky

Baturinsky Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Btw, I have just realised that Main is Twilight Sparkle