Spoiler About Ascendance of a Bookworm

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Yumika12345, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Nighthawlc

Nighthawlc Nyan nyan nyan nyan

Reading List:
    Link
    Check WN131-133.

2. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dont read raw, and Jpn wn is harder to find than cn wn.

In your previous comment, what is PV?

3. Nighthawlc

Reading List:
    Link
    PV = Promotional Video = Trailer

4. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I did think, it's promotional video, but 'what's promotional video gotta do with novel' LOL
    So you meant, the anime. Sorry, I thought you talked abt novel.
    Havent gotten the chance to dl anime. But very interested since I like the manga too.
    Is it good? the anime?

5. TUSF

TUSF Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I ended up starting on the WN raws, reading through MTL (on ch.530 right now). My brain has melted by now, but I've more or less understood how the story is going. It's very… interesting so far. The worldbuilding itself is both well thought out, but also very strange due to how much magic is required to the operation of this world.

The anime doesn't start until October. Only the trailers have come out.

6. Nighthawlc

Reading List:
    Link
    The first episode (without OP and ED) of the anime was sold bundled with volume 20 of the LN which came out last week.
    There is a really low quality rip of the episode (it's 30mb and 20 minutes long), this is what I was originally talking about.

7. TUSF

TUSF Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, I didn't realize that's what you were talking about. Like I said, my brain and reading comprehension has turned to mush after reading so much MTL...

8. Tea leaves

Tea leaves Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just finished the WN and let me just say it. I HATE THE ENDING!!!!!
    Why o why did Ferdinand get Myne.
    He is the sole reason why Mynes life became so fuck up.
    If he didn't bring Myne in the Mission no noble would even notice her.
    Then she wouldn't have to leave her family.
    Furthermore when Myne was asleep for 2 years no one was allowed to visit her except for Fran on his order.
    He could have easily say she died and returned her to her family at this point and relocate her outside of the contract effective range (the reason at the end Myne could interact as a family again is because she is outside of the territory).
    After the war he shove his memory and emotion to Myne who is basically an empty husk at this point making her love him and then they get engage. That is brainwashing at its finest.
    He could have let Myne be a priest instead of an aristocrat yo make live in peace with her family. Instead he married her and this will result in huge power struggles with the current royalty that Myne is sheltering and her future child. That easily result in a coup d'etat.
    The brainwashing is clearly shown at the end where Myne wants Ferdinand to near her when reuniting with her family again. And she even used the poison testing procedure on her family before eating. Lutz clearly saw that and he knew that Myne is already no more.
    This is already cemented that Ferdinand from the beginning has his eye on Myne as early as Cinderella book making. When he said senior Noble marrying a commoner is impossible. So he made Myne an ideal noble to marry. Even Gunther tried to be familiar with Ferdinand that could get him punish for it. But it was for nought because Ferdinand didn't even react to it.
    And my most hated part is that their reunion only lasted at only 2 bells because Ferdinand said so. Their reunion as family that hasn't been for last 7 years only lasted for only 2 bells and left.

yourmomtenkeyy likes this.
  9. Bakanogami

Bakanogami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you're reading way too much into this.

He took her on the Trombay mission in part 2 because 1) that was the duty of the church and they were extremely short-handed, and 2) he didn't expect it would turn into such a big incident. I really don't think that he was planning to take her along with the intention of putting her in enough danger that she needed to be made a high-ranking noble for her own protection so that he could separate her from her family and marry her someday. Although at the same time, with her magic levels, she couldn't be kept hidden forever. There were only a handful of people in the entire territory with magic on her level in part 2, and by the end of the story when she's fully grown she possibly has more magic than anyone in the country. Someone would notice eventually, so she had to be protected.

Moving her outside the territory wasn't an option. The different territories didn't trust each other at all, and he had little or no ability to guarantee her protection if he tried to move her elsewhere. She only managed it at the very end due to her taking over the territory personally and gaining influence equal to royalty.

I have no clue what you're talking about with Myne being an empty husk and getting brainwashed? She fell in love with him because they spent nearly a decade working together, not because of any scheme on his part. Heck, Myne herself doesn't even realize she's in love.

And it's not like that was their only reunion. The teleportation circles remain in place, she can go see them whenever she gets some free time.

10. Shizun

Shizun 《Jack of all trades》《Artist/Author》《Dao of BLedia》

Reading List:
    Link
    so the anime is out..... so the ML reads MC's past? Did that happen in the novel too ?

11. Nighthawlc

Reading List:
    Link
    The scene happens in the novel but it’s not the start of the series.
    It covers stuff from WN chapters 131/2 or equivalently the end of LN volume 5.

dhRPGamer likes this.
  12. Shizun

Reading List:
    Link
    How did the ML react to it and to her afterwards?

13. Bakanogami

Bakanogami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There was an incident between Myne and a noble. As a commoner Myne's testimony alone wasn't enough to be considered so she had to submit to a memory search, revealing her pre-reincarnation past.

He was uh, surprised to say the least, though at the time he was more concerned with the fact that the memory search process synchronizes the emotions of the two individuals involved, so he was dragged along on an emotional rollercoaster as Myne (who was experiencing the same dream of her memories) got to go to a proper bookstore again, and then met saw her original family that she'll never see again.

It was one of the things that led to the decision to take her in as a noble, both for her own protection and because they realized how valuable she was.

14. jcochran

jcochran Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not quite. She didn't voluntarily submit to the memory search, and her testimony wasn't asked for. What happened was that after she was injured during the Trombay mission (which also drained quite a bit of mana from her); She and the priest were required to repair the damage the Trombay did to the forest. And her performance during this repair (remember, a lot of mana had already been drained from her) exhibited an extremely large amount of power on her part. In fact, the amount of power she exhibited exceeded the amount of power the Lord had. And she was going to only grow stronger. Combine that along with her current achievements, they required a judgement to determine if Myne was either harmful or beneficial (not directly stated, but if she was determined to be harmful, they would have killed her). And yes, the priest was rather surprised at both what he saw in her memories as well as Myne's reaction after being scanned.

15. Shizun

Reading List:
    Link
    How did Myne react for her privacy being invaded?

16. jcochran

jcochran Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, she was tricked into the memory scan. She only thought she was being given some medicine to enable the use of a magic tool to help her. Hence the priest figured that she'd be upset.

Instead she was quite happy her first action upon awakening was to thank him because she was losing her memories. She then asked if he could do it again since she wanted to read more books and eat more Japanese food from within her memories.

17. Summerman123

Summerman123 New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think Maine never had magic before the girl that ask to be reincarnated and was replaced because the real Maine died from her illness so god gave her the body of Maine and since her soul was stronger than the real Maine she was able to live but i guess there was a catch. but if you go back and read in one of the chapter her friend did say she was weak from the beginning before she had that magic that is killing her in a year<--------Spoilers at least that what i read. if i am wrong tell me in a nice way.

Shizun likes this.
  18. jcochran

jcochran Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Interesting theory. The one I believe is that the magic that both the original Myne and the new Myne is exactly the same. The old Myne was in the process of dying from that magic and towards the end of that painful process, the soul of Motosu Urano was implanted into that soon to be empty corpse. I won't say that her soul is strong since honestly, I have no basis for comparison, but I'll say she was far more experienced, knowledgeable, and disciplined than old Myne since she had been an adult from an advanced civilization with a good education instead of an ignorant, five year old, shut in child. But their body's magic is continuously growing, so what was capable of overwhelming a small child with no education who's most disciplined reaction to both the symptoms of devouring and her overall weakness and lack of stamina was to shout and cry "It's not fair!" isn't comparable to the discipline of a twenty something adult, even though said adult was herself rather selfish and neglectful to the feelings and needs of others around her. But she does get better and her knowledge of modern society prior to her death does give quite an advantage once she deals with the limitations of her body.

Now her knowledge of modern society is rather broad, but shallow. So she knows a lot of things are possible and has a general idea as how they work, but still needs to experiment with them. As a simple example, let's consider the Gutenberg printing press. I think that most people here have a general idea as to how it works. So think about the answer to this question...

How do you print on both sides of a piece of paper while keeping the results on both sides properly aligned with each other?

For those of you who don't know the answer, this video shows a demonstration of how a Gutenberg press is used.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  19. dhRPGamer

dhRPGamer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think, when the new Myne came, the old Myne have passed away already.

On this note, Ferdinand mentioned that Myne (or rather her body) already died once, when he examined her body at the beginning of Arc 3 and found that there was a crystallization/coagulation of magic power in her body, which happens when a being possessing magic powers pass away. It blocks the magic flow within her and was the main reason for her frailty for the majority of the book. (Think high blood pressure and cholesterol and fat blocking blood vessels, at this point if your heart pumped too hard, your blood vessel explodes and you die. But if your heart don't pump hard enough, then not enough blood can get through the narrowed blood vessel to the rest of your body and you die.)

20. jcochran

jcochran Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can see that. It's a bit "fuzzy" with old Myne's last thoughts being detected and then fading away by Motosu Urano when she entered that body. But it could have been a mere echo of old Myne's last thoughts, since Myne was definitely told that she had died when they did the exam after she was adopted. It could also be a minor mid-story change by the author. After all, there are a few inconsistencies in the story so far. An example that comes to mind is the use of the word "Saturday" a few times in arc 3 instead of the mentioned and introduced weekday names given to us in arc 1. And that mention of death does give quite a bit of incentive for the collections she performs over the next year to deal with the side effects.

dhRPGamer likes this.