LCD Abyss Domination

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Serra, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Serra

Serra 『plumie's grandson~』

Reading List:
    Link
  2. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    there's an actual translation for it now?

3. Russian anarchist-romantic

Russian anarchist-romantic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As you can see.

4. Kanna Kamui

Kanna Kamui Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  5. redleaf97

redleaf97 Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    got snu snu?

6. FHandsome

FHandsome Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  7. Serra

Reading List:
    Link
    lol no, then we'll have three different chapter 1's.

We're continuing from Re:Library's chapter 1 and 2

8. Serra

Reading List:
    Link
    yes we are actually doing this, and we're probably not going to drop

if anyone wishes to discuss more actively and receive automated notifications for release, join our Discord. code is KVdfc4y

Astaroth likes this.
  9. Serra

Reading List:
    Link
  10. FHandsome

Reading List:
    Link
    Yay it's been picked up bt GT

11. Nekorin

Nekorin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    gravity tales license this novel..
    chapter 1-6 out already...

12. TheHoblit

TheHoblit Peak Dual-Cultivator

Reading List:
    Link
    ooh another MMO novel, looks interesting. especially those tags, "Doting Older Siblings" "Younger sisters" and most importantly, "Half Sisters"

13. Diato

Diato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh yess!! GT took it, I am saved...

14. Radon Stone

Radon Stone Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What incentive is there for a new reader if I'm aleady reading "Night Walker" and "Rebirth Theif who walked the world"? What makes it comparable and what can set it aside from the Great thief which is a series i droped previously?

15. SaltyTank

SaltyTank Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have only glanced through the first 10 or 20 chapters of the above mentioned novels, but I hope this can answer your question.

I believe Abyss Domination is quite different from The Great Thief and Rebirth of The Thief Who Roamed The World, in the sense that the game world became reality right from the beginning. The MC (Soran)'s soul was merged with the body of a NPC, which also merged their memories and personal values. Soran did not think of "returning to the previous world", as he was now a resident of this game world. In fact, apart from the knowledge of the current world he got from playing the game, his past life did not matter at all.

I'm assuming "Night Walker" is "Night Ranger", so please don't mind me if it's not. Anyways, Abyss Domination is more similar to Night Ranger in terms of the setting, but there are still considerable differences. While the MC of Night Ranger starts off as a noble, Soran starts his new life as a petty thief who was weak. He lived in the slums with his little sister, and had to work his way up slowly as the story progresses. He's not strong right off the bat, and he had to take risks while trying to grow stronger (he had to take care of his sister).

I hope that helps, and feel free to ask me anything!

Okuri Ookami and Jaspaaar like this.
  16. FHandsome

Reading List:
    Link
    Is MC only the one who have status and level up like in game?

17. SaltyTank

SaltyTank Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The others also have statuses and can level up, but they are unaware of the system and thus cannot assign the points or open their own status screens like the MC.
    Edit: There's a more detailed explanation in Chapter 11. You might want to check that out :)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  18. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I just want to say that MC's name is almost for sure Sauron, there's even a wizard called Saruman, the shire (the place where the hobbits live) and so on...

Basically most of the basic stuff is dnd, forgotten realms setting, not exactly sure what the mix is or what parts are original, since while the game mechanics are very close to baldur's gate (by the way, there's literal items and even the descriptions ripped off), some things work differently.

Then there's Lord of The Rings, World of Warcraft, and probably some other things that the author add on. I'm assuming there's some original stuff as well, but it could just be some different campaign. Tracking down names and monsters on english to chinese fan translation forums was a pain... (I've got so many bookmarks it's ridiculous)

Oh yeah, and Rogues can't cast spells. It's literally called spell-like.

Also, it's DND right, based mostly on the forgotten realms setting, so in http://gravitytales.com/novel/abyss-domination/ad-chapter-10 it's absolutely not "evil underlord", it's Hell.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with it or not, but basically there's the lawful evil faction (Hell) and the chaotic evil faction (Abyss). They're Devils and Demons respectively.

Well anyway, just want to point out that especially for things like races, monsters, deities and so on, they're originally in English that has been fan-translated to Chinese—pretty interesting to read about actually (Keep in mind that to begin with there's very few online resources for the advanced manuals and what not even in English).

Anyway... A lot of my bookmarks seem to be broken, not sure why, but some examples that could prove useful: monster catalog another monster catalog demons <- that one also had some list of manuals. Tbh it was really a pain trying to navigate those forums and what not as someone who use dictionary & MTL...

Oh right, and before something unfortunate like sorcerers being called warlocks (术士, I cringe every time) happen again... Do take a look at this: https://zhidao.baidu.com/question/1960661888195472100.html

只有一种,dnd的术士是Sorcerer(英文原名)。
    你说的其他的术士是这样的,天命术士和神眷术士是国内伪dnd小说作者自己编出来的,是私货,和dnd无关。
    龙脉术士,英文原名Dragon Disciple,心灵术士,英文原名Psion,龙脉术士和心灵术士其实和术士完全没有任何关系,是早期国内翻译造成的误解,把很多的施法只有后面都加个“术士”的后缀。很多dnd的译名都有这种因为译名造成的误解问题。比如半神巫妖,现在正式译名是半巫妖,很多人以为半神巫妖真是半神呢。

p.s. eh I wasn't really planning to go on so long, not sure if it's really that fitting for the LCD thread anymore, but whelp I remembered more things as I wrote and here we are

Edit:
    The game system is pretty much only an interface thing, a way to represent the information. The only real advantage the MC has over the 'natives' so to speak is the ability to gain general exp by killing others.

Which in practice is basically as if the MC has the seed of a death/murder/slaughter deity or whatever. They're called god childs or something, which generally means that they're descendants of some deity.

Having the "portfolio" of e.g. death or murder would mean that a deity could get stronger by killing others, so in essence having the ability to gain "slaughter experience" means being able to have a death related portfolio without having to first become a Demigod.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Okuri Ookami likes this.
  19. KidBuu

KidBuu Embrace Darkness

Reading List:
    Link
    Feel like its always rogue like main characters for this type of novel. In the most part it makes since with their ability to hide from strong enemies and sneak past hostiles and steal loot to get stronger but it gets kind of boring after a while. Fingers crossed for an interesting subclass to make the character more unique later in the story.

20. SaltyTank

SaltyTank Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for all the information! To be completely honest, I have never played D&D once ever in my life, so the terms are really difficult at times. Also, there's a lot of different translations of the same thing, and the author uses the less common ones most of the time, which makes things even harder. Anyways, although it's mainly D&D based, there's A LOT of different other games involved, especially WoW. Some terms may not be spot on, but the novel was known for it's unique twist on the system and author explanation of how things work, so I'm taking liberty with some terms here and there. The novel was also known for not requiring the readers to have any knowledge of D&D in order to understand what's going on, so to a certain extent the system is a bit different. I'll try to stick with what's in D&D or whatever reference there is, but if I don't, you can either treat it as some sort of "unique twist", or point it out so I *might* change it in the future (a big MIGHT right there).
    Thanks anyways!

Astaroth likes this.