Advance Chapters thoughts

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by OurPrinceNiki, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OurPrinceNiki

OurPrinceNiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just a rant from a small time newbie translator.

Last month, I have this patron that supported me. Because It is patreon, I pretty much post advance chapters there.
    After posting regular advance chapters, the patron suddenly cancelled his/her subscription.
    I know that translating is free work and basically translators relies on donation and ads from the website but... still suddenly cancelling the subscription before I can even get the money is what frustrated me the most. (Note there were only 2 patrons and 1 back out so this was really disheartening.)
    If they just subscribe to read advance chapters for free by suddenly retrieving the support... They shouldn't have subscribe in the first place.

I pretty much update regularly of 3 times a week with atleast 500 words per chapter, this applies for all the novels I translate (Note there are 4 active) and I squeeze time to translate before sleeping because I have online classes and writing research to do in the morning. (Now in second sem I have 2 research in pending but fortunately I just finished yesterday the other one. And then at the end of the month I need to prepare for defense and presentation. I also have to make a new program for our bot class. The worst of all I am the leader for all of those task.) Basically even with hectic schedule, I still squeeze time to translate and post regularly. But giving this false support..?

Because of this reason I decide to integrate a coin system that they would basically get for free from doing bunch of quest. (Note: The paywalled chapters are advance while there is still regular release of free chapters.)
    After a week of debug and demo to my website... And stacking translations to release as advance chapters, I officially launched it on my website.
    But now I read a review of one of my on-going translations that it was basically criticizing this system. (In my Point of view.) Then again, I am not the only one that paywalled advance chapters out there.

Ah my heart, this isn't something a regular highschooler can handle.

Unrelated: Do readers expect that the translators should always spend their time on translating without even managing their own life?
    If they complain, they should have right to complain like "I donated 3 ko-fi but why the chapters released were only few." But complaining for something you received for free, bro you do realized that this is actually a free work if you are frustrated do it in private and not in public or internet where people basically can see it.

Now the small rant ended, let's get back on the topic.
    What are the readers thoughts for advance chapters?

Attached Files:

aoiisora likes this.
  2. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    You can just set your patreon to immediate payment so that they have to pay as soon as they sign up.

I think patreon calls it charge up front.

Westeller likes this.
  3. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you can set charge in advance. Then even if they cancel it, you will still get money. But readers cancel subscription all the time for all sorts of reasons. Sometimes it is automatic cancellation. For instance, I only want to support this translator for 2 months, or 3 months.

Westeller likes this.
  4. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This exactly. Patreon doesn't allow someone to pay for just a single month's subscription. All subscriptions are perpetual with recurring payments, without exception (afaik). People who want to subscribe for just this month will immediately cancel their "subscription" after paying for the month, so they aren't charged next month. They're still paying subscribers, basically, just not pre-committed to subscribing again next month.

Of course, as both of you said, this only applies for charge up front accounts.

5. rwxwuxiaworld

rwxwuxiaworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone's already given you the proper advance - activate the 'charge upfront' feature!

6. Molen

Molen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most peoples that complains about translation frequency are new into this hobby, they have been spoiled by daily chapter. i am pretty sure that these kind of people are usually pretty young, remember that young people tend to be impatient. Those that have been reading LN/WN/etc for at the very least two years, tend to be more patient. Because they know that there are other novels that they can read while that specific novels are being translated.

as for advance chapters, as long as it doesnt affect the regular schedule, then i am fine with it. As someone who have waited years/decades for VNs and LNs to be translated, a few days/weeks/months for a new chapter is nothing.

beggars cant be choosers, as long as there are other novels that i can read for free, i will take it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.