Discussion All the fun goes *PUF*

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by branislavs369, Aug 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. branislavs369

branislavs369 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi there!

The more i read novels the more i think that it is just a waste of time.

I don't have fun reading them anymore but instead i feel like shit every time i stop reading and notice that 2-5 hours have passed while i was reading and i could do something useful during that time.

Like re-learning the languages i speak (i haven't used some of them for so long that i can't even make a sentence in them even though before i was at a B2 or higher level at them) or start leaning something new in general.

I think one of the big problems is that some novels that have like 500 chapters will be dropped by their translator and all that time i invested in reading them was pointless because of that, or at that length the author writes himself into a corner and the story turns into shit, so another waste of time.
    Or just all the RR stories i have bookmarked. I have 127 of them and only 10 were finished and only 20 are still ongoing. So nearly a hundred novels i have read were just another waste of my time.

I feel like its slowly but surely not a hobby anymore, but a way for me to just waste time.
    I could deal with that problem by just waiting until a story is finished and start reading, but even then i still think that i wasted my time.

The more i read the more i notice that most stories don't have a deeper meaning to them, its just "that cool thing happened, then that cool thing happened and then cool things happened for the next 100 chapters and then it ended" and i am not sure if i want that. Sure its cool, but that's it. I kinda crave for a story with a life lesson behind it or a story that challenges my world view but for some reason i can't find such stories here. But i will be honest that's mostly because i have't tried hard enough jet...

Ok so i have ranted for long enough now to you.

What do you think about reading not finished stories being a waste of time ?
    Do you ever think to yourself that you would want to read a "grown up"(?) story rather than a "that's COOL!" story ?
    Do you even feel like shit when reading for too long ? :D
    What do you think about all that in general ?

qwertzuiop likes this.
  2. IAmGodSlayer

IAmGodSlayer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. branislavs369

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Read novels that u are practicing your language in

5. shisheru

shisheru Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    maybe read published english novels instead

it would solve literally all your problems

Anon2.0, qwertzuiop, asriu and 4 others like this.
  6. Ilisle

Ilisle Lord of the Northern Guards

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep, that's why im inspired to write a book myself and finish it before making it public.

7. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    How about working or something?

8. Rickymex

Rickymex Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most hobbies are generally a waste of time. If you're not getting enjoyment out of a hobby then drop it.

nexusmadao, Anon2.0, Seraphic and 5 others like this.
  9. branislavs369

Reading List:
    Link
    Like i said, i am still at a point in my life where i don't have to work and am supposed to learn. Sadly my hobby that i had for surviving the times there was nothing else i could do became something that started eating at my general time where i could have done something useful...

10. Dahksahna

Dahksahna Kah rahna Dahksahna hahla

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah I get ya but it was mostly with the ya genre though. Once I said I wanted to read something different, I had a copy of Huckleberry Finn, 30 pages in I threw it out the back door. So you're utterly screwed until you find another interesting hobby
    Good luck (y)

11. branislavs369

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really. I don't have money to buy them. And even if i bought them there's still the problem that novels that get published are mostly the most popular ones and the most popular one are these "cool" novels.
    Edit i have read it again and am sorry for misreading it the first time. Maybe you are right reading some old school english novels could help.

12. LysUltima

LysUltima Riichi! Tsumo! Toitoi! Suuankou!?

Reading List:
    Link
    Translate. That's what I did. You learn a language, you help the community, and you could always trnalsate a completed novel.

Anon2.0 likes this.
  13. branislavs369

Reading List:
    Link
    Its not that i don't have any other hobbies. Its just that reading is a rather useful hobby because if you have wifi you can do it everywhere when you need to wait for something. And i like reading. My main problem is that i read too much "shit" when i could do something better. Maybe reading some science or political books could help.

14. Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr [Aruruu's proud dad] [The False Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    Ehh its more of a time filling thing. I'm not dedicated nor invested enough to think of it as an integral part of my life. If its dropped, then so be it. I'll just find something else to read. Sure its nice to read till the end, but nothin much even if i don't know the end.
    Unless of course it was dropped when there's like 20 chapters left. That level of douchebagggery is high.

15. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    You want a story to get something out of, here is one:

I'll put it to you this way, after I read my first novel, which took up quite a few days, my conclusion was "I wasted so much time". I liked it but that was my conclusion. Then I went and read my 2nd novel and wasted a few days and came out with same conclusion. And this conclusion happened after every single novel I read.

But then why did I continue reading more novels? Because at end of the day, even if I didn't read the novels I'd just procrastinate through other methods and waste time. And since reading novels was more fun way to waste time, that is what I do.

That said, to limit myself of how much I read, I just decided to write my own novel.

Moral of the story, anything you do is a waste of time. Life is a waste of time. BUT its a matter of if your having fun wasting your time or not, that is what truly counts.

qwertzuiop and branislavs369 like this.
  16. branislavs369

Reading List:
    Link
    I doubt there will be an interest in bad translated German to English novels in the near future :D

That's it. I want it to be that, but like everything it just grows and grows and grows. At first i somehow manage to read novels only when i need to wait for something but then i start to get interested and the next thing i know i am reading a dropped novel until 2 in the morning even though i should have been learning for a test.

17. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think reading unfinished stories is a waste of time. That's like saying you only read them for the ending...

Let's talk about video games for a second, as a comparison. Do you know how many games I've played but never "finished?" .. What about you? Do you complete every game you play? 100% all the achievements, see every possible ending of the game, etc, etc?

I mean, if so.. Respect, man. But most of us just play to have fun... we might play a dozen different games and only finish one... or hell, maybe we only play the multiplayer, and if we don't finish the game.. so what? Novels are like that, too. We can read to have fun and not need to reach the ending. Sure, the ending is important.. but if it isn't there.. does that really mean there was no point?

Nah. You still had fun reading what you did. It was still a worthwhile experience.

Anyway, the second thing is sort of lol for me, since I read more than just xuanhuan/isekai novels on, and off, NU.

If these novels are ALL that you read, I'm sure you get tired of them and want to read something different - we all love variety! .. but if they aren't, then you're not going to have problems with them. They're just a piece of the whole, y'know? One channel on tv. There's plenty of other stuff to alternate with.

That said..

Depending on what I read, I can get that whole eyes-glazed-over-holy-crap-this-is-dragging-on feeling, too, start feeling just.. worn out.. too. That counts as "shit," right? ... It's not that common, though. Unless I really enjoy what I'm reading and want to marathon it, I only read for, say, a couple of hours and then shift over to doing something else. Even while I read, I sometimes tab to forums and things like I'm doing now. ... and if I really start to feel tired of reading what I am, I just stop. I have other shit I can do, too, lol.

So.. All together...? I think that you shouldn't be reading if you aren't enjoying it. Find something else to do for awhile.

Even if it's just something else to read, that's cool, too.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    qwertzuiop, asriu and sushicracker like this.
  18. Dahksahna

Dahksahna Kah rahna Dahksahna hahla

Reading List:
    Link
    Well you could read them nothing wrong in that well if you're super bored of these books I once read a dictionary for fun when my dad took all my books away well it was kind of interesting plus my vocab expanded I would recommend some history books on mythology for different countries around the world I like Egypt's the best though and some Nat geo magazines

19. LysUltima

LysUltima Riichi! Tsumo! Toitoi! Suuankou!?

Reading List:
    Link
    What's wrong with German to English novels? I had to read one of those for English class (it's about buddhism) so I'm sure someone would care. Well, you could always use a jap/chn/kor to eng dictionary to translate jap/chn/kor.

20. branislavs369

Reading List:
    Link
    I am such a miserable human being that when i paid for a game i will finish it 100% and if its a multiplayer game, i play them with friends and count it as social interaction because otherwise i would have none... i know that's cheating but what can i do ?

When i wrote that thing about only finished stories i meant it in a way that maybe the authors had some underlying message hidden in the story and only the ending would show it, kind of deal. (that connected to my second point "deeper meaning".

The problem is that the fun i see in reading is seeing what the author wanted to tell using his story. So no fun for me if what he wanted to say is "Look isn't that what the MC did really cool?!"

And maybe you are right i should start looking for some other hobby and get myself a break from reading... mainly from reading RR because that's even a waste of time for wastes of time...

qwertzuiop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.