Another Life

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by Ai chan, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Ai-chan is watching the Netflix series Another Life about a crew of a starship who goes out to search for the homeworld of the alien artifact that landed on Earth. The ship is nice, the story is nice, but Ai-chan has a problem with the crew itself.

The crew of the starship is probably the worse trained and worst disciplined among all crews involved in special missions in sci-fi.

First you got a crew that laze around not doing their jobs. Then you got a crew that openly criticized a commanding officer assigned by the government. Then you got the first officer, a communication officer and an engineer who attacked the commanding officer because they didn't agree with her decisions. Then after freezing the commanding officer, the first officer threw caution to the wind and rush the starship to slingshot around an active white dwarf star, completely frying their comms, destroying their engine and warp bubble as well as some essential systems despite knowing that they won't have a repair dock to depend on. Then after finally caught for mutiny and given a second chance, he tried to murder the commanding officer, before the commanding officer kicked him into an electron flux, burning him into cinders. Then the communications officer throws a tantrum despite her being one of those who tried to freeze their CO. Then when they were on the planet to mine for essential minerals because the ship was damaged from the star, two of the crews opened their visors on an alien planet while another crew wander off trying to collect samples despite them being on a very tight schedule, because you know, alien earthquakes aren't scary enough apparently, they had to have the moon fall on them before they start running. Oh and the doctor had no idea what he was doing most of the time he was on screen.

Who the heck chose these barely qualified and very undisciplined people for such an important mission? Man, the standards of astronauts really tanked in the future.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Kotohood and Cutter Masterson like this.
  2. Nyanko

Nyanko Psychotic Cat Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    Why, the plot chose them! If the ship had a compitant crew, where would the drama be?

Arcturus and Ai chan like this.
  3. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know this 'another life' you are talking about, so I made a quick search and here my impression:
    It looks like someone wanted to remake 'stargate' but failed

Ai chan likes this.
  4. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, just in case, here's the wiki link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Another_Life_(2019_TV_series)

It's a nice attempt at hard sci-fi, but the crew is very undisciplined, except for maybe the chief engineer. The comm officer is pretty much a toilet on full regurgitation mode.

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  5. Frozen ink

Frozen ink Legally had harem『Cathulu』Power of Love & Evil』

Reading List:
    Link
    The writer probably wanted to prop in some weird sexust agenda or something desu

6. SublimeWay

SublimeWay Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought of SGU immediately when I saw that description. Whatever happened to the action adventure formula where everyone was likable and worked well together? I really miss SGA. Really wish they would do something with the franchise... other than that bumbling prequel movie.

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  7. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Apparently they are making a new season(or plan to make)
    read this if you didn't

8. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree. It’s ridiculous. There should have been a lot more screenings done before take off. If they want drama they still could have work it within certain parameters. For instance submarine crews are huge jokers, but very disciplined. As to conflicts. The main thing I hated about Stargate Universe was the internal conflict. I’m a Star Trek fan. The reason I bring it all up is because there was unity and discipline in Star Trek, but also their fights were normally exterior. They’re choices in Another Life are to cheap and uninspired. At least that’s what I think.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Ai chan likes this.
  9. SublimeWay

SublimeWay Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, gateworld... been years since I last visited that site. Origins was kind of disappointing and while the last few episodes of SGU were getting better I still had a general dislike from the first half.

It doesn’t help that MGM has been draconian over the years in cracking down on fan made material alienating the most hardcore followers. That being said there’s a decent SGC and Atlantis level for VRChat -it looks like it’s been ported from Source though so the perspectives are slightly off. I’ve always wanted to model the Stargate in Blender or 3DSMax but I probably won’t be able to use it in a public world even if did.

10. Nargol

Nargol Evangelist. Candy-san. Pope of the Cult of Pyoo

Reading List:
    Link
    None of the competent people wanted to go on a trip with minimal chances of success and survival

So they just threw a bunch of death row inmates in there and hoped for the best

Ai chan likes this.