Discussion Anyone else getting disgusted by KR BL and CN brotherhood?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Viser, May 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maid Chan

Maid Chan [Professional]

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you. *Standing applause, slow clap*

Hoshiandme likes this.
  2. Hoshiandme

Hoshiandme A Wandering Star Who Watches From Afar

Reading List:
    Link
    Why the thanks and applause? Haha

3. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You complain about CN brotherhood? Romance of three kingdom already have it. For those who are familiar with it will know the three “brother” Liu Bei, Guan Yu, Xhang Fei.

But they rarely know how can Liu Bei which is a noble can become sworn brother with Guan Yu which is a fugitive. Sometime the process of becoming sworn brother is skipped and the focus is more on the brotherhood (how they trust each other and all those stuff)

readerz and asriu like this.
  4. Maid Chan

Maid Chan [Professional]

Reading List:
    Link
    `
    You talk exactly like an expert .

5. Hoshiandme

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh thanks. I’m quite surprised you view me in such esteem. I wander where you had gotten such a perspective.

6. Maid Chan

Maid Chan [Professional]

Reading List:
    Link
    From our last interaction, sister. If you can still recall it.

Hoshiandme likes this.
  7. Hoshiandme

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahahaha oh my lol xD

8. joey183

joey183 The Mysterious Entity

Reading List:
    Link
    These are all so true. Almost every CN has that troupe. Not excluding the fatty sidekick bromance

9. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The worst ones are the worshipper side character. Not everything in life is about fighting or power. Administrative duty are important too.

vlue likes this.
  10. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    im pretty sure omniscient reader is BL and i dropped it

its just weird and gives me the creeps

as for the "bro-friendship" in CN, it's still okay.

as friends, theres some things u should and shouldn't do or say and your friendship shouldnt give you the creeps.
    friends of life and death in cn novels is fine, esp those forged in blood/battles/war

xiin likes this.
  11. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    I call it filler content and not mind it cuz too bored with it~
    as most lazy bum said

don't mind da detail lul

who care about peach oath~

12. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    People here don't seem to be too familiar with the classics? The CN type brotherhood is pretty old.

Oath of the Peach Garden - The Oath of the Peach Garden is a fictional event in the historical novel Romance of the Three Kingdoms by Luo Guanzhong. Liu Bei, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei took an oath of fraternity in a ceremony in the Peach Garden and became sworn brothers from then on.

Text of the vow:

When saying the names Liu Bei, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei, although the surnames are different, yet we have come together as brothers. From this day forward, we shall join forces for a common purpose: to save the troubled and to aid the endangered. We shall avenge the nation above, and pacify the citizenry below. We seek not to be born on the same day, in the same month and in the same year. We merely hope to die on the same day, in the same month and in the same year. May the Gods of Heaven and Earth attest to what is in our hearts. If we should ever do anything to betray our friendship, may heaven and the people of the earth both strike us dead.​

This type of brotherhood is quite entrenched and romanticized in Chinese literature. I'm okay with it since it's a real literary tradition. (y)

Cream likes this.
  13. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It feels like people have no love of reading or writing anymore, or even playing when it come to games, people will buy and write whatever most of time,you can barely discover authors that actually try with their works, i follow several of them but i rather not but its what i have to pass time yet i would like to see people actually tring to bring stuff out,i doubt they are actually putting out what they truly have in mind for some work that they do, and yet we see people all around going on buying and allowing they to come with this kind of work there literally 0 incentive for people to actually try new stuff when others that do absolutely nothing can have better results by copy-pasting these works, and tbhii partially agree with the last part, because we are so used with low-leve writing that even something really average will stand out in our minds simply because our reference its a ridiculous majority of bad works out there

Viator likes this.
  14. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not even just a literary tradition; it's something that can be found in history. For example, the greatest of all the Chinese historians is Sima Qian. But he's also known for defending a man whom he respected to the extent of infuriating the emperor. Sima Qian ended up getting castrated and getting made into a eunuch.

readerz likes this.
  15. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha people complain about cliche and are surprised that tropes get recycled.
    I hate to break it to you but readers are getting what they want.
    You don't see any Recommendation thread requesting for a novel different from what I just read.
    You cannot go to a fast-food restaurant and complain about the lack of variety.
    It is ridiculous that people equate these books to Jin Yong.
    I hate to break it to those who clamor for creativity.
    Authors are writing to get paid.
    Unlike you the book connoisseur who will most definitely not pay and read on pirate website.
    Those who pay like these subpar stories so they will keep getting churned out like an assembly line.
    You are not the customer if you are not paying.
    Your opinion won't be taken into consideration either.
    Over and out!

16. Viator

Viator [Cult of Pyoo: Pyoo's Oak Tree]

Reading List:
    Link
    That's true. If all you feed yourself is garbage all your life, that is your standard. So something average would become something amazing.

But I will say when it comes to art there are no hard standards, as long as it is art where the author has at least put something valuable in their work, it may not stir the lives of many, but only greatly move only a few. This too is okay. As long as it has done that, the work has done its job. It should leave you feeling alive and even uncomfortable, not slowly dying in a hell of mediocrity and contentment. In my experience, great art makes you feel as if you've moved forward somehow as a person, into the unknown. Equal parts exciting, and a little frightening. But that's my own experience.

What is generally written today, I would not define as anything close to the art of the writing. I sound pompous... :blobsmirk: I still believe it's true though.

17. Ripple

Ripple Notice me Daisydacrazy senpa

Reading List:
    Link
    Gotta attract the Fujos:cookie:

18. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do think like you,if anything i belivee the first person someone writing should want to have fun or like what has been written its the author himself, there are people and people out there they will have tastes and tastes, and you know i'm okay even with authors that do a bad job a writing but they like doing it and also put effort and with time they have the chance to get better and better not everyone starts good at it anyway, but this kinda of passion is also pretty much dead almost any reading you have nowadays will give nothing but an empty feeling the work will not give you the feeling it has a "soul"

I do like Chuunis VNs for a bit of reason they usually has authors with more love for what they are doing at least the one i read, i usually see there that even if they put some ridiculous stuff they are things the author want, their world and passion into writing their world even if for a lot of people will look stupid and coming from a teenager head most of time depending on the work

19. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing is that most WN writer do this for the money. They probably like writing but with how WN works it doesn’t urge them to explore the more creative side of writing.

20. ZeroBlink

ZeroBlink Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's fine it's only fiction , read something that doesn't have those undertones. It can be sometimes frustrating if it's blown out of proportion , but on the other hand why do you care?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.