Recommendations anything decent (not necessarily stellar)

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by orario, Feb 15, 2020.

1. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Your title just makes me think of Stellar Transformation. That was a decent novel. One of the first I started reading. Coiling Dragon was alright too. You can try MMORPG: The Elementalist. That’s completed and not a bad read.

otaku31 likes this.
  2. TotallyNotAnAlien

TotallyNotAnAlien Not an alien!

Reading List:
    Link
    You can try The Record of Unusual Creatures. It starts slow, and looks like a harem from the start, but it definitely is not. It takes place in modern times, but it's not a cultivation story. More like a space/fantasy mix. It's also almost completely translated, with barely 100 or so chapters left, if I remember correctly. I've read through over 1500 chapters, and what I can basically tell you about the story is that it's sort of like the characters are trying to solve one giant mystery that spans the entire novel.

3. Deleted member 89812

Deleted member 89812 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
  4. blasterwisard

blasterwisard Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Death Mage and Bring a farm are both harems, but are 'reasonable' harems as in they actually have reasons to have harems and don't just throw chicks in and expect them to get along for no apparent reason.
    Dominion's end while gender bender, I have not seen an gender bender tropes so far and it appears to have been ignored. I wouldn't have recommended them otherwise.
    Crazy lich has been updated recently, but webnovel doesn't release all of its updates to novel updates.
    And in response to the PS, I did say we have very different tastes.

5. orario

orario Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems like it was dropped by the author. No point in getting invested.
    I've read those two from IET. IET's novels are what got me into the whole eastern fantasy genre. They're classics.
    I will try MMORPG: The Elementalist. I added it to my plan to read list. Thank you!

6. orario

orario Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's no such thing as 'reasonable' harems. Harems are just wet dreams of the author. I'm not into that kind of stuff. Doesn't matter to me how highly rated are they or how ppl sing their praises. Never read a harem novel that managed to convince me otherwise.
    If I find out a novel has harem my interest drops to zero. To me, it becomes instant garbage. That's how I dropped ISSTH after finishing the first volume - I read some spoilers that he gets 3 wives. My interest plummeted. Dropped it with no hesitation.

7. KHA2

KHA2 wanderer

Reading List:
    Link
    IIRC he only has one actual wife, and the others are just arranged marriages that he disregards. It's def not a harem novel, you should give it another chance.

8. Deleted member 89812

Reading List:
    Link
    No point? It was not dropped, It's was put on hiatus due to Chinese government. The author has been planning to write this novel since the beginning of his writing career. This is his "Magnum Opus", he even explicitly stated that this novel will be finished. Don't pass up a good novel due to some bumps in the road.

9. Deleted member 89812

Reading List:
    Link
    Plus it has over 1,475 chapters and counting. Why not give it a try?

10. blasterwisard

blasterwisard Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not saying that everyone has to like harems. In fact, I don't like harems as a general rule. Most harems are there to be a fantasy pipe dream. However, that doesn't mean that every novel with harems is poorly written and impossible to stomache. Me, as a female, being able to suggest these stories to someone who doesn't like harems says a lot about the books.
    The main character in Death Mage, as of volume 8, is only something like 10 years old and views the others as his caretakers. So the harem at this point is mearly a cute piece of side comedy. I will hold off judgement for later volumes (and older ages) till I've read them.
    Bring a farm, I will admit, is a little more haremish. However, if you ignore the ocational fade to black scene, the female cast works as the generals in his army. They have personalities, they have skills, and he would be skr*wed without them. This is vastly different from most harems where the women are just there to flash some skin.
    But if I can't convince you to try new things, so be it.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  11. orario

orario Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a reason why I put harem as the first among the things I hate. I dropped novels before simply because of ship-teasing (females that can "topple empires" with their beauty appearing left and right and falling for the MC even if he doesn't like them back), let alone full fledged harems.
    I'm already testing my patience by reading novels like Dominating Sword Immortal or King of Gods where there are 2 females as romantic interests but fortunately, given that they are xianxia, romance takes the backseat and there are barely any interactions between them. Romance is generally garbage in Eastern novels. The less i get to see of it the better.
    ------
    Anyway. If it's harem, it's the same as garbage in my eyes. This isn't something I compromise about.

otaku31 likes this.
  12. orario

orario Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Is this a Chinese version of Monster Musume? - that's what it looks like from the summary

13. TotallyNotAnAlien

TotallyNotAnAlien Not an alien!

Reading List:
    Link
    If you mean the landlord part and how his tenants are non-humans, then that is basically the only similarity from what I remember of MonMusu. Like I mentioned earlier in my previous post, it is more of a space/fantasy series with a giant mystery that the characters are trying to solve. And it isn't like all his tenants are females too.

14. orario

orario Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Alright, I'll trust you. I added it to my plan to read list. Thank you for your recommendation!