Discussion Are my standards too high?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Wise old fisher, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Wise old fisher

Wise old fisher [I am not a potato] [Chorus heresy]

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't smoke weird weed to get high but i feel "Transcending the Nine Heavens" is underestimating my intelligence? What the heck happened to this novel? I remember the romance was bitter-sweet... not crazed fan girls hopping to secretly get pregadanad by the main character.
    Also what's up with the lastest chapter? Was that even supposed to be sad? I wonder where this novel going? To places, for sure but not top novels

Otherworldy evil monarch by comparison is much better if you don't include the humor or the morality of the main character

Wujigege likes this.
  2. Haevrus

Haevrus No.1 Incognito Webuser

Reading List:
    Link
    Currently "I am supreme" is the legit best. No girls, No boys , No cliches, just one MC, one goal , one direction. Forget harems, there is not even any potentail love interests unless you count his brothers lover and the other dudes sister. But that will break the fourth wall of harems.

Kutaifa and Wujigege like this.
  3. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dropped TTNH, because it lost its luster and just got plain confusing going all over the place

Sharudeis likes this.
  4. Glaurung

Glaurung Long Member

Reading List:
    Link
    so it's an ad for a boy band?

5. WeiFish

WeiFish Eccentric Grey Sword 『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    The TL quality has, apparently, gone to hell since it moved to QI. That might be it.

6. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    I got bored of this early on~ People say it's good so I figured I'll give it another try later on. Maybe I'll feel different then. But haven't got round to it at all~

Wujigege likes this.
  7. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    The warning signs were always there. If you ask me, TTNH had a promising start but by a few dozen chapters in it was hype, not interest.

8. Haevrus

Haevrus No.1 Incognito Webuser

Reading List:
    Link
    Hehe. Its just a reference. Dont mind it. The MC here is forever alone.

9. raysha18

raysha18 [Blank]

Reading List:
    Link
    i prefer otherworldly evil monarch and realms of the firmament at the moment. i think it was due to the quality of translation dropping but did not expect that the story became weird.

10. SenjiQ

SenjiQ [Wise, for a Bird]

Reading List:
    Link
    This bird thinks that most of those cultivation novels are exactly the same anyway so complaining about them is like complaining that water is too wet

Fuyuneko, otaku31, ravenjaz and 3 others like this.
  11. Opjohnaexe

Opjohnaexe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would argue that most of the novels by that author falls apart after a while, it's almost like the author is convinced that there needs to be slapstick humour or stupid harems in the novels.
    I dropped ttnh, oem and rotf for these reasons, the stories just didn't make sense after a while. For example an adult male who has remained chaste for thousands of years, suddenly turn into a hormone filled teenager, completely faffing around with the intellect of a 10 year old boy. Now I get that humans are varied, and individuals will at times act one age, and at others another. But I just can't bring myself to believe that they suddenly forget completely who they are, it seems dumb quite frankly.

12. ZhaWarudo

ZhaWarudo TOKI WO TOMARE!!!

Reading List:
    Link
    I put TTNH on hold due to some other novels I was binging and when it stacked I didn't feel like reading all that, plus I heard how terrible it becomes from those who read ahead.

Wujigege likes this.
  13. Land of The Fallen

Land of The Fallen Hax's | Immortal

Reading List:
    Link
    I've stopped reading this for a while since I was planning to stack the chapters, but according to you the quality has dropped? Should I continue reading it or not...
    :blobwoah::blobwoah::blobwoah::blobwoah:

14. mytus123

mytus123 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it started to be just bad after MC went to Great Zhao, If I remember correctly at exactly this time TTNH changed owner or to be precise - translator, coincidence?

I stopped around this chapter and It looks like It will never move forward again....

15. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Is the problem change of translators or change of writers?

I wonder how prevalent ghostwriting is in China.

readerz and Slayerwolfx2 like this.
  16. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    It's hard to consistently come up with new ideas that are both good and fit in with the story/characters etc, especially once you're already through hundreds of chapters. You can't sit back and take the time to think it over either because you (usually, I assume) have a schedule to adhere to. Is that a good enough excuse? Probably not, but you can see why many stories tend to fall off a cliff after a while.

17. Wise old fisher

Wise old fisher [I am not a potato] [Chorus heresy]

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know i hope that the story will become better now that he moved to the middle three heavens

18. Opjohnaexe

Opjohnaexe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    True, but that's why before writing a story you should first spend a long time worldbuilding and characterbuilding so you know how characters and the world would react to certain events, then you proceed to write a storyboard, a rough sketch of the entire story from start to finish. In this way you always have something to fall back on, stories petering out is generally a sign of the story being ad hoc'ed which result in stories turning into sprawling messes.
    Also shouldn't a story focus on being good, rather than long?

19. Aicila

Aicila Huh?

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you aren't drawing enough of a line between webnovels and published works by generally successful authors. If you are an established author, you have that luxury to sit back and work until you are satisfied. Many authors who write on a chapter by chapter basis probably either feel compelled or are contractually forced to write a certain amount of content.

You can't compare them.
    If you are getting paid on a word by word basis, or on a reader by chapter basis, maybe not. Why don't you ask the authors?

20. XD

XD Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My answer, without reading your post: YES, if you're asking this question, the answer is always yes!

My answer after reading: No. I dropped that so long ago that I don't remember why I dropped it, but it's dropped for a reason.