Are there any decent RPG systems out there?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by TerraEarth, May 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerraEarth

TerraEarth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It seems like every single novel I've read on this site, whether CN, KR or JN, has had terrible RPG systems.

What do I personally look for in a RPG system? Well to put it shortly, one which I would want to play or immerse myself into.

An Interesting repertoire of skills/leveling systems that rewards effort and does not arbitrarily restrict players, an example being "point" quotas (you need to save X amount of 'mana' points in order to use this ability and before you use it again you must farm up the points somehow - is one I see quite often but is quite terrible imo). One that conforms to the idea of a virtual or physical reality and takes those nuances into account.

I think the closest I've come to appreciating a system has probably been from the amber sword, maybe vermillion.

2. Digix

Digix Owl-sama Follower

Reading List:
    Link
    no unless you use a crafted and tested one novel systems are pretty awful. I would look at ones made for games and D&D

3. abewan

abewan 〘Nishikigoi Dungeon〙

Reading List:
    Link
    Medieval Fantasy RPG on Playstore

4. BlaszczeM

BlaszczeM Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not quite sure what you're looking for, but one of the best litRPG's I know of is The New World. It's an original, but really popular, and the author has his own Patreon, and releases there, on Gravitytales and RRL. Though it's somewhat different from what you're looking for, and skills don't have any arbirtary costs, and the MC mostly uses his damage over time skill, along with his fists.
    Also, increasing skill proficiency is also pretty interesting.

5. Deleted member 36162

Deleted member 36162 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Try
    http://www.novelupdates.com/series/...ai-heiki-de-guntai-harem-o-tsukucchaimashita/

Or

http://www.novelupdates.com/series/max-level-newbie/

Or
    http://www.novelupdates.com/series/legend/

Or
    LMS

Everyone else is a returnee

Dungeon Hunter

Well, those are the ones in my head atm.
    Good luck with your search .

Kuro_0ni likes this.
  6. TerraEarth

Reading List:
    Link
    LMS was probably one of the better ones.
    I hate EET and toycar in general though.

7. Agecaf

Agecaf Grand Archmathemagician

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the best things about RPG Systems is that they are/should be "Fair Systems"; everyone or at least a lot of characters have access to it. That's why I think novels with "loads and loads of characters" are better representatives of the LitRPG genre. Many "standard" RPG novels are heavily MC-focused... which can make the system seem more like a "tool of giving power-ups of plot convenience" at times. It's much more interesting if the antagonist the MC face also use/abuse the RPG system to get stronger.

However, with many characters using the system, not only does the story become more interesting (because there's more challenge to the MC, and allies can be genuinely useful), but the readers have a larger pool of characters from which to understand the system. Thus it wouldn't be strange for the MC to receive a powerful skill if the readers already knew it existed from another character, for example.

A good example is The Wandering Inn (western); the RPG elements are rather reduced; there's only classes (with levels), and skills obtained by class level-up. (Some "skills" are passive buffs, so "Stat boosts" are actually skills in this context). It's just that there's... A huge amount of characters.

The MC is has her main class being [Innkeeper], but there's a ton of other transported characters like her (including a [Clown], a [Doctor], and a class-less Runner, who is also the de-facto co-protagonist), and a huge amount of "local" characters, of a wide variety of species too. There's characters with POV chapters with classes such as [Lady], [Tactician], [Mage], [Warrior], and there's even "special classes" such as [Gambling General].

The novel does have "too many characters" as a trade-off though; on one hand it sometimes slows down the pace of the novel since a single day is viewed by like 4 different POVs, and then you get a random interlude of someone on the other side of the world. But... on the positive side, it gives the novel an awesome world-building and a great RPG System.

An RPG System can still be improved by a smaller cast of characters though, as long as it's more than just the MC.

Ddraig likes this.
  8. checkm8

checkm8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  9. Teleclast

Teleclast Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    LMS was probably about as good as it goes. You';ll want to read something more based on DnD or similar if you're serious, because unfortunately anything for a novel won't bother fleshing out too much other skills/systems, as not fleshing them out allows them to pull stuff out of their butt at the last second.

Non-RPG I think the best done was World of Cultivation because it had multiple 'protags' even though there was a main one, so the system was fairly well done, it was still left a bit vague at places for sure. There's a few RPG novels based on DFO so they have a bit more of a specific system, but honestly even those move away from it enough and come up with random extra stuff that they still don't feel as cohesive.

It would be really interesting if a few people got together and came up with a very detailed skills/system and then started some works based off of it, because it really would take fleshing it out previously and multiple novels to make a good RPG without the reader just feeling like they read a design document first :')

10. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Closest I've come to accepting a RPG system in a novel is probably in Log Horizon, and that is largely because it spent a good deal of time on the characters adapting to the system and discovering what it could or couldn't do, not just having them go with the flow.

Probably doesn't exactly fit what the OP is looking for though. lol

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  11. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    OMA. Is good.

We see how the MC uses his knowledge to build overpowered character, using his own theories. But otherwise the world building is good.

EofSP is good too. :p

12. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    Glory system is enuf for me~
    exp and skill system imo acceptable~
    Silver Weapon system is really something, researching such thing require pretty deep knowledge toward game and that imo fair game for crafting~ although I like lvl craft system on usual RPG story but I grow bored of it~
    system like LMS also interesting which put emotion to effect item grade~ so do how it play out on toaru ossan vrmmorg~
    I only look for crating system and not particular care about other thing~

13. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Wandering inn..... It's not really rpg focused but it's good

14. TerraEarth

Reading List:
    Link
    SaltyTank likes this.
  15. checkm8