LCD Ascendance of a Bookworm

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Shance, May 31, 2016.

1. kitame

kitame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    and thats what i've been trying to say, find it out.

look here.

2. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Huh? *tilts head confused*

Maybe I thought that it was someone else that said the first line... Not sure, my headache is killing me... Like... I'm a tad confused, it seems like we were kinda agreeing on the fact that people probably don't know what the devouring is, but were disagreeing on the fact that Maine should be able to discover it... Something like that?

3. kitame

kitame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    YES, BINGO! finally we can start some actual discussion.

yes maine's current problem is that she doesn't know its a mana overflow issue.
    if we look at the current points that maine already knows she should've already concluded that its mana or something along that line.
    the current thing that can cure it, that shes 100% aware of, is the magic tool, its expensive and only nobility has it.

then why can't she just make a magic tool or a substitute? you said it yourself, experimentation can help.
    there are multiple clues as to what can help drain the mana overflow, the tronbay is the biggest clue but got buried in maine's overly careless attitude.

once shes through that part, then she should start noticing what the devouring actually is.
    magic tool can absorb it, its actually useful (gives tronbay the massive nutrients it needs), and its completely weird symptoms.
    theres one chapter far back that discussed the tronbay's normal growth time and rate, first a tronbay would suck out all the nutrients in the surrounding turning it into a barren wasteland. second it only grows in certain seasons.
    this points to the fact that, maine touching the tronbay seed actually triggered it's growth, and even solved the nutrient demand, on top of "relieving" maine's overflowing mana.

she should've realized it when all that clues are drawn together, all maine needs to do is backtrack everything shes done starting now, but nope, shes still prioritizing books.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  4. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmmm... *nod nod nod* Yeah, I think it's a reasonable line of thought... To try and build a substitute to a magic tool...

The problem is finding out what things can actually drain Mana I guess... Trombay isn't something she can find whenever she feels like it after all, so she needs something that she can use whenever she needs... Perhaps the parum tree, since it drains heat and all, and the Trombay felt really hot when Maine held it... Though there is no way she'll go to the forest in winter, so she won't even test it out... Or rather, she probably won't even know how that tree works.

I wonder what other thing could be out there for her to use...

5. kitame

kitame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the magic vegetables, shes been cooking them for a long while now, theres even one where it screamed when eva smashed it up.

6. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, but I think they don't drain Mana?

I mean, at least we got no pointer towards that... But yeah, there are some that scream and others that dance... Vegetables are mysterious...

If there is one in specific that drains Mana, it could solve the problem... But I think the common ones that Maine already handled don't really do that.

7. kitame

kitame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    probably not the vegetables themselves, but the seeds or the shoots, the they grow absorbing mana from the soil like the tronbay does.
    i have this suspicion that maine can manually stuff the magic seeds with mana, by controlling the devouring and diverting it towards her fingertip.

in any case, once maine is aware that the devouring is a type of mana overflow, or in this case "mana", she'd be able to get more accurate information by directly gathering all the things that are related to magic.

8. kitame

kitame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ohh right, i have to bring up a certain point as to why i concluded that nobody knows what the devouring is.
    first point is the cost of magic tools, why is it expensive? and why are they secretive about the magic tools?
    the second point, is why the devouring is very rare, or to put it into another word - why is it simply a "rumor".

if they knew the devouring is actually mana then the upper echelons would be actively recruiting or kidnapping them.
    to point out, the devouring can accelerate tronbay growth, meaning the upper echelons can cultivate tronbay en masse.
    and thats not even considering the potential of magic itself, spells and such, learning how to control the devouring.

or simply put, if this was another novel with more widespread magic teaching, everyone that has this devouring would've been deemed as a mage genius, e.g. the worse the devouring symptoms the more powerful of a mage they can become.

9. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmmm... Yeah, it's possible that she might be able to accelerate the seeds growth... It's a fair possibility to say the least.
    Hmmmm... I think that it's possible that they know that the devouring might power magic tools... Reason why nobles might be willing to take those people in... But at the same time, they are too rare to become a reliable source of power to the tools, so they don't bother with actively seeking those people... Might as well let them seek the nobles instead, and get very profitable deals by saving those people's lives.

But it's also possible that they have no idea, and want them just for the sake of being "pets" or similar.

10. kitame

kitame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    its not the same, if the public knew of the devouring in detail, like the symptoms and the cure, then those with the devouring would be proactively seeking the nobles.
    the current situation is completely the opposite of this, very very few people know the devouring, and they don't even know that they can earn a ton of money from the nobles due to it.

in fact, if all the people know of the devouring, those rotten poor people would probably be wishing their children had it, so that they can earn a lot of money from the nobles. or even kidnap someone else's children with devouring and sell them to nobles.

in other words, those with the devouring disease would become extremely valuable "goods", they'd be treated as a walking gold mine thats also extremely fragile.

11. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh no, I meant that the nobles know it, not that the common people know! xD

I mean, the devouring is already rare enough to the point that almost nobody knew of its existence in the first place, and I think the only knows that know what it is are nobles.

12. ElefantVerd

ElefantVerd It's not me, and it's not you.

Reading List:
    Link
    500 chapters, one per month... 41 years. :blobsob:

Poor_Hero likes this.
  13. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Go read brainless xianxia if you don't feel like waiting until the translator has time. *shrugs*

Not everyone has enough free time to release chapters at quick paces.

14. RainMorga

RainMorga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maine has been told by Benno that only nobles have magic. She probably does not think the devouring is related to mana because she is outside of any nobles bloodline.

Also, her main focus until this point was to help Lutz. This focus helped her survive the peak of the devouring. Dividing her focus would have killed her. Now, it's just been a few days past that so thinking of another thing to focus on might take time.

Poor_Hero likes this.
  15. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Benno said that? I had forgotten! xD

I'm surprised by some people's ability to retain those details... I always forget them... T.T

Hmmmm... Yeah, since she needed a strong focus to survive, I guess not thinking of the devouring much might have helped her... Thinking of it now that it's small though, might be actually a good idea.

16. RainMorga

RainMorga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe it was on the chapter first learned about magic contracts.

17. diamonds

diamonds Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If interest in the series grows, another group could come in, coordinate, and share the TL work.

Also, I take credit for sparking the intense re-interest in this thread.

18. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Blastron is a good translator, I'd rather wait for him to release high quality chapters, than someone else that is not as good picking it up with a poor quality.

Sure, some translators can release quality releases at quick paces, but it's definitely not the norm. Not for the Japanese novels at least.

19. ElefantVerd

ElefantVerd It's not me, and it's not you.

Reading List:
    Link
    So harsh...

20. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't have much patience when people make pointless complaints...

Oh well, nothing I can do about it anyway.