Discussion Asian novel summary rant

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Jojo775, Jul 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think that it's all that rare to find good Chinese novels. There are a ton of decent writers out there; all you have to do is branch out from the usual xianxia junk.

Another way to think about it is that these summaries aren't summaries to begin with. They're blurbs, and the purpose of a blurb is different from that of a summary. I'd say that it's the translator's fault for not writing a proper summary for the book they're working on.

asriu, Wujigege and Jojo775 like this.
  2. SummerForest

SummerForest Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The summaries there are actually blurbs, but even as blurbs, most of them are just misleading and vague.

3. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    I can understand vagueness but misleading is a red flag

4. SummerForest

SummerForest Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :notlikeblob: I think my comment is rather misleading. I should've said 'some of them'.

5. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of these writers aren't good at writing either :blobrofl::blobrofl::blobrofl:

6. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not going to say that they're necessarily great as blurbs either but a reader going in with the expectation that they're summaries are going to be disappointed. And It'll be their own fault at that. Also, I don't think there's anything wrong with blurbs being vague. There's not even necessarily anything wrong with being misleading because stories should be allowed to have some misdirection.

7. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    uhhh nothing to do with asian or not

it's also in western novels

did anyone here actually think that voldemort would have killed harry potter in the end?

8. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    You're missing the point completely.... I'm not ranting about how we all know the good guys will win, I said it's stupid to question it in novel synopsis.
    Seriously what would be the alternative, say it's a typical xianxia, MC remains an abused cripple trough 1000-2000 chapters instead of becoming a God Overlord Madafuka Harem Master, how interesting...
    It is never a question whether the MC will get powerful or not, there simply wouldn't be a story if the answer was no.

9. Flamer

Flamer [An Old Man] [Shady Dealer]

Reading List:
    Link
    Where did that pop up from?

Lol

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2019
  10. JustDiededed

JustDiededed Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I imagine that being a writer in China is a very competitive job and you have to grab attention by all means necessary. And the first step to do so would be in the synopsis. That's probably why we see a lot of "god domination, king of all dimensions, devourer of the universe, conqueror of every jade-like beauty" kind of things.
    Did you get to see the one from Beast Piercing the Heavens? It's dominating AF and doesn't say anything about the novel at all LOL

11. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Jpn novel title are better than chn novel summary.

12. youseiki

youseiki 『Loves Glasses』

Reading List:
    Link
    Preach it,
    JPN Title - I Was Told To Relinquish My Fiancé To My Little Sister, And The Greatest Dragon Took A Liking To Me And Unbelievably Took Over The Kingdom
    CN Summary - (I Was Trash) He was looked down on, forced to break off his engagement, he was murdered, maybe this is the life that trash should have… But he was taken over by me, the strongest cultivator, Cang Kun Zi, as I reborned. Now that I'm here, I'll make the best of it! Watch as I use this trash body of mine to trample upon you mere ants!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.