Discussion Binge addiction

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jojo775, May 7, 2022.

1. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    I wonder if anyone here truly stopped or learnt to do it in moderation. It was easy for me to stop spending hours on youtube or gaming or watching tv shows or anime or reading web novels(the last two is coz I lost interest/got sick of them). But fanfiction...damn, I just go look for a new one after I finished all the ones I'm currently reading and there's a lot...

Is this my passion? I thought about writing but inital blocks are huge, it'd be years before I'd be any good, not to mention for research I'd have to rewatch/reread a bunch of things which are big time wasters, and of course it isn't much of a job... I mean there's like a few hundred people worldwide who'd pay for sci fi fixits and empire building of some fanfic... Maybe even less for original coz I saw that dude that wrote the best Harry Potter fic ever(almost 20 000 readers which is massive even for one of the biggest fandoms, super popular fics of big fandoms usually have 4-5k) and yet his original book after a couple of years has less than 50 reviews.

Some might say, look at gamers and youtubers, those are professions now. Well writing has been around longer and the few pro fanfiction/obscure novel authors aren't exactly getting rich.

Last edited: May 8, 2022
  2. Esha07

Esha07 ☄your favorite meanie࿐ྂ

Reading List:
    Link
    : P you are not alone here my friend, I am struck in the loop hole too . Orelse I would be still sleeping rn for a clear skin XD

3. ngard

ngard Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's the same for me, but I don't really try to quit since I don't have anything to replace it with. With things like this I think I would only be able to stop if I found something to fill in the empty spot, and since I don't have anything like that its simply a quest doomed to fail. :,(

Jojo775 likes this.
  4. vithc

vithc eternity's nerd

Reading List:
    Link
    It's just harder to get a following for original works after getting popular for only fics/fan work. If you want to have a career in original writing imo it'll be better to just start from scratch. Bc if you've been focusing on fics for so long, the majority of your audience would only be expecting/wanting that from you.

As for binging addiction or whatever, I'd like to think of it as a 'hobby', if it doesn't get in the way of your irl life, why not, yk ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Jojo775 likes this.
  5. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    binge huh~
    well this cat like to read book one go~ published one, the hardcopy analog old age stuff~ weird enuf when it come to digital despite its a book this cat can hold it~

on book there this feeling, just lil bit more~ and it already daylight lolololol so this cat can feel or sympathise when read a character ear blasted because of that thing~ been there done that~

6. Lissi

Lissi 『Queen of Lissidom』『Holy Chibi』『Western Birdy』『⚓』

Reading List:
    Link
    I binge things a lot too, I find that it's hard for me to do things a little bit every day, since I just... forget :blobsweat_2: Basically it's kinda hard to start something else, but once I get into something, the momentum carries me through...! for a limited time :blobrofl:

I think I'm currently in the YouTube binge/novel binge phase. It's just... really hard to put down a novel, and YouTube shorts is an infinite hole that I sometimes wish didn't exist lol

But yeah, since I've been doing this for years, even before finding webnovels... I think it's safe to assume that the binge -> break -> binge -> break -> binge cycle's probably here to stay for me. :blobsalute:

7. predictingthings

predictingthings Well-Known Temporary Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    Once I like doing something, I can't stop