Spoiler (BL) To Raise a Soul by Can't Play Chess

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Epsea, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Epsea

Epsea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi fellow bl fans! I'm quite new to this site, new to bl, and new to translating.

I really love another story by the author Can't Play Chess and ended up deciding to translate 'To Raise a Soul' (it's a working title. Any suggestions are welcome!).

So here are the basics about the story:
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Title: To Raise a Soul (以身养魂)
    Author: Can’t Play Chess (不会下棋)
    Genre: Comedy, Romance, Shounen Ai, Slice of Life, Supernatural
    Tags: Modern Day
    Status in COO: Completed (113 Chapters)
    Raw Link: official jjwxc page
    NU Link: NU page

Description:
    Grandpa Yu often repeated beside the ear of Yu Zhen, saying that he(YZ) has a soul in his body. If he doesn’t properly train in asceticism* and raise then send away the powerful soul, in this lifetime he would have to live as a bachelor. In his next lifetime he would be reborn as a lifestock animal.

Yu Zhen played on his mobile and nodded. On the surface he replied, "Uh-huh". In his heart he laughed, "hahaha". Keeping his grandfather in the dark was amusing so the lie was repeated for over ten years without Yu Zhen getting tired of it.

After some years, Grandfather Yu passed away and a cold-faced handsome guy came to his door in a luxury car - with a residence certificate in his hands.

Yu Zhen: The soul in my body reincarnated into someone else’s body to demand repayment, what should I do!

Author’s Note:
    PS: Modern cultivation! Marry first, love after! Modern setting, same sex marriages can occur in this setting! I hope everyone likes it, please bookmark =3=

-The gong and shou are 1v1 in mind and body;
    -The author is occasionally illogical. Readers please be forgiving;
    -The goal is for a sweet story! Sweet story! Sweet story! An unsweet life is an incomplete life!

I hope that the little angels will continue to support me, love you all =3=
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    I’m looking to read the chinese raws as I translate so I have no idea how the story goes. Has anyone read the novel raws or mtled? If so spoilers please! And also what additional tags should be added?

I get the feeling that the summary doesn't fully make sense. I might've miss translated something. What do you guys think - is it coherent?

I'll be releasing the first chapter tomorrow(Wednesday), and will be updating weekly.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Edits are in italics: Changed 'cultivate' to 'train in asceticism'. This change makes more sense now that I've translated part of the first chapter. (Grandpa Yu was involved in some buddhist/taoist practices.)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    yfndsh, Selax, alexfilia and 9 others like this.
  2. kiara8

kiara8 Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    Regarding YZ’s last line, what debt is ML collecting?

Heungbo likes this.
  3. Naruin

Naruin [Dada's New Employee][ex-NAH owner]

Reading List:
    Link
    im guessing its also the reason why ML resided in YZ's body?:blob_tilt:

4. Epsea

Epsea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I second Naruin's guess. It looks like the kind of plot point that would be revealed as the story goes on. There's likely some history between the two.

I've gone through the description a bit again and edited a few phrases so that it's more accurate. Changes:
    1) cultivate => train in asceticism
    2) send away => raise and send away.
    3) collect debts => demand repayment.

From point three, maybe he was supposed to raise the soul? But because the MC doesn't believe in taoist/buddhist things he neglects that duty. So now the ML gets to demand compensation.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    alexfilia, Heungbo, Shizun and 3 others like this.
  5. Epsea

Epsea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Finished translating chapter one. So here's the brief spoilers!

The chapter starts off with Grandpa Yu's funeral. It's held at the Taoist temple that he lived and did fortune readings at. The only person at the funeral is the MC, Yu Zhen. He's minding his own business when he hears a crashing noise from outside the temple.

When he goes out to investigate he sees a car crash. He calls the police and ambulance then he tries to help the injured man and woman inside the car. In the process of doing so, he finds that the woman is still breathing, but the man's breathing has stopped and he's slowly turning cold. It doesn't stop MC from trying to help both people though. Eventhough the man is very dead, MC bandages up a wound on the man's arm. At that moment MC thinks about his grandad and wonders 'Why do people die?'. And he tears up and a teardrop lands on the man's hand. And the man's hand twitches! Throughly freaked out, MC runs away, back to the Taoist temple. He kneels infront of his grandad's coffin, muttering to himself that it's all an illusion.

The police and ambulance then arrive. They get the people out of the car and send them to the hospital. MC comes back out and talks to the policemen. During the conversation, he finds out the man was injured heavily but alive. He tries to convince himself that he was just tired so he might not have been able to think cleary, hence, he 'mistook' the man as being dead. When the policemen were about to leave, MC gets dizzy and collapses. He sees one of the policemen infront of him speaking, but he can't hear the words. Instead, he hears someone (aka ML) say 'Don't cry...Wait for me'. The supernatural moment passes, and MC doesn't feel faint anymore, and is still trying to convince himself everything is just an illusion from his tiredness.

On the ambulance, a nurse sees the patient trying to speak. She leans down and hears 'Don't cry...'.

yfndsh, IndusEla, Kaylee and 14 others like this.
  6. soie_yoie

soie_yoie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Welcome to the community!!!

Looks interesting enough.

Lunnear likes this.
  7. Zhen_Qing

Zhen_Qing <<Danmei Sect Temp. Summoner>>

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you @Epsea for the spoilers, and welcome to NU.
    Sect Leader: @alexfilia
    @Aeli @aNonYm0U5 @azure_sea @Ami @Ashie @ahsudole @Ash Astin @AaronKing @aresk @Anra7777 @AimieNam1003
    @blaze27 @byebye @Boinkers @blues86 @bitterblackrabbit @byunnie
    @cici @clear @Corensi @ChuChi @Cohran @CrazedCookies @cheerydandan @curryninja @Cian-Chan @Cypress
    @DarkBlue @dustmite @dontwanttotell @DJdragone @Dayong9909 @DeanRae @darkchocolatesan @dreamxx @DhiVhi
    @Ezralva @Ease @etern @EveningWind @Elestrea @Emaris
    @ferrelrose @foxymirage @Food food @Fieyy-Qa @FFAx27 @FujoshiOnDuty @fox23
    @GD2318 @GinDole @Grandia @GaiaJupiter @Gossymer @gnessa14
    @Hotato @HesheFell @Haigi @Hatchy @Hasr11 @Haruka1409 @haweii @Hanaru @Hikari_Akari @hmudara @Helaine @hikaharu @Hikari111
    @iampsyx @imsodone @i_amhandsome @Inland @lykizan
    @jadelin @jyuuxvii @JadeBunny @Juria @JellyJellyFishy @Japorea @Julles
    @kiara8 @krrizis @Kittsune @kly @Kailyria20 @-kiai- @Kleep @kumquatsjingleheimer @K-ralara @Khysylia @KazeYuki @KuroBaraHime @Karry @Kaylee
    @ludagad @Luen @lalalyly @leva @Leir @Land of The Fallen @leedalys @Loriel @LavenderBlizzard @LiYao @li.king24 @Lisstr @Levanta @Lunnear @LoneSoul @lifeisbittersweet @Li hir @Lost Happiness
    @MoMoePom @Matsurika @Misaki Yata @mereumsama @MikotoP @Matthew9999 @missycin @Miri-Bell @maya_sov @MidnightKaito @michoux @misminor @Moocakey @Moonlightlily13 @Misogi @midnight reader @Mnemosyne @maripants @mesoara @missbellatrix @MonoNoAware
    @Novel otaku desu @Neelambori @NerdExpress @Nokiyoh @Nokita @Ninjagal @nixxara @Nami Heartfilia
    @PKitty @Popipopipoi @purple_mangosteen @pcheshire @psychobee @Pandababa @PurpleMousse @pocketbear @pongpilaipruk
    @Queue
    @readerz @Rilise @Regalia1896 @Raneday @Raizendeville @Rabbitanairy @Ryss @Rurella @Rucce @RoseColouredSin @Rainess09
    @scriptor @Sakhyu @SnowTime @SummerX @Shem @sinyueliang @smr85 @Shizun @ShenHua @Shizuka15 @Skyelyne @Selax @Shiina @Shizuka Mikki @SmilePlease @Sasakira @Storymonster @solomaize @Silver_Moon789 @Shigure Hakuya @Shionismad @shouahang58 @SecretLibrary @SeiraJLoyard @_seven_ @soie_yoie @Saikyi @savvyblue @ShiraAichan @sonzaishinai @Squirrel270 @SoothingLonesome @susanty.smile
    @Toyo @Taida07 @theragingpanda @Tintl @ThePinkHotPot @TomiNdumplings @Till_IDie @Tsukkin @totoroteddy @thundersh @TheLadyWhoLikesBoyLove
    @UpInTheAir
    @Victuuri @vsukio @Vi.M @veihakase @Veedah
    @winter-t @Wildelily @WagKalimutan @waraa @wolf.prince @winterblossom @White Head Ice Prince
    @XD @xiin @xilainia @XiaoPingGuo @Xylia125 @xblkdragonx
    @Yuslia @Yukki576 @YukiShiiro @Yuen @YaoiMom22
    @Zennie_613
    @324722

8. Epsea

Epsea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the welcome! :blobsmilehappyeyes:

9. Epsea

Epsea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry for spamming, hopefully this is the last time so I can share the story :blobpats:

10. Epsea

Epsea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The NU page hasn't been approved yet, I hope you guys don't mind me posting the link to the translation here.
    Chapter 1.

yfndsh, Zhen_Qing, Saikyi and 3 others like this.
  11. susanty.smile

susanty.smile [Insomniac]

Reading List:
    Link
    interesting....making to my reading list....
    :blob_pompom::blob_pompom::blob_pompom:

Epsea likes this.
  12. Epsea

Epsea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know, but, since former love interests tend to stick around and make a mess of everything, I'm guessing it won't be the last time Han Ya appears .
    If Wu Xuan isn't dumb, he can probably tell that she's aiming for him. I don't think it's that evil though? She's a bit thick faced though to string Yin Yan along.
    It was pretty well known in the rich people's circle that Yin Yan was madly in love with Han Ya, so Wu Xuan will know about Yin Yan's unrequited love for Han Ya. And it was implied that Han Ya often had falling outs with Wu Xuan, and everytime that happened she would go crying to Yin Yan. But after each fight Han Ya and Wu Xuan would get friendly with each other again.

The reason that HanYa got drunk that time was because she had a falling out with Wu Xuan. In chapter 2/3 Wu Xuan went to pick Han Ya up from the hospital. But it's not clear if Han Ya and Wu Xuan was an offical couple, or if they were only flirting. It could be a more-than-friends-but-less-than-couples type of situation.

She hasn't gone to jail yet, sorry I've only read up until chapter 5, so I don't actually know. From the story so far, I'd guess that the Yin family will be lenient to her one last time. But if she screws up again then she'll be in for some serious trouble.

yfndsh, alexfilia, ahsudole and 6 others like this.
  13. charysa

charysa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read this story a long time back. Don't remember all the specifics, but here's what I vaguely recall of the backstory...

So in their last life, in a different xianxia world, ML was this grand hero and (reborn) grandmaster of this great sect. Unfortunately, some of the elders in the sect were up to some really shady stuff behind ML's back. MC was one of their victims - he was a top talent cultivator who was instead condemned to persistent torture in order to power a sacrificial rite (turned out to be used to forcibly reincarnate or heal ML or something like that). However, ML randomly wandered across him (possibly b/c of their karmic connection) and rescued him from his torment, declaring MC to be his disciple, taking care of him and teaching him and stuff. MC basically imprinted on ML as his savior and fell in love, but didn't think it was reciprocated. Later on, more stuff happened with the elder plots, frameups and misunderstandings and drama... In the end, MC had essentially begun to commit permanent suicide, as in destroying his own soul so that he wouldn't even reincarnate.

ML tried to save him (he actually did reciprocate MC's feelings but didn't know how to talk about emotion and was never asked about it, and also didn't even know that MC had those feelings for him until it was too late). Don't remember if he ripped out parts of his own soul to do this or if that was damage he took while saving MC. But in the end, he brought them both into the current modern Earth world and reincarnated MC there, and his own soul went dormant to recover itself inside MC.

MC's grandpa was actually one of the most powerful taoists of the modern Earth. He divined some of the truths about MC's potential power/future, and so raised the kid under his eye. Partly so that he could protect the kid from the supernatural that might try to harm him or use his latent power, and partly to also try and teach the kid to control it. Of course, MC didn't believe in the supernatural, so the latter didn't work out.

After the grandpa died, MC lost that protection, so ML felt the need to get proactive again before MC gets himself killed. He basically took over the recently dead body of a young master type guy who had crashed near the temple. Doing this, using someone else's body, also creates karmic consequences, so ML is also obligated to help the ML's family avoid some bad stuff that would've happened to them. ML's family is actually pretty good about MC suddenly becoming their son/brother-in-law, since in their POV *anyone* is a step up from the girl that ML's original host was obsessed with when he died.

After "reviving", ML then essentially lies to MC about getting married. Technically the marriage ritual isn't *required* for helping MC... but ML is taking no chances about letting their relationship just slip by due to misunderstandings or whatever this life. He then also basically teaches MC how to deal with the supernatural, generally by helping ghosts move on and stuff.

They slowly get embroiled into the taoist/supernatural community of the modern world. Eventually they find out that MC's biological father was working for the villain boss. He had either rejected grandpa's teaching's or had been rejected by grandpa for his flaws, and later got picked up by the villain boss who was a better fit in outlook. They reveal all the shady shit that the bad guy had been up to, and of course beat them up.

Meanwhile, as he levels up, MC slowly gets pieces and bits of his old life's memories back. ML feels a lot of trepidation at this, since there's a lot of awful stuff that happened there, and their relationship back them wasn't all roses. But for MC's wellbeing, he presses on with helping him grow. After recalling everything, MC is mad at ML for a bit, but they deal with all the past baggage. Also helps that ML has been honestly trying to learn how to love (not just experience the emotion, but how to act on it properly) in the new life.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    yfndsh, IndusEla, Kaylee and 14 others like this.
  14. Hanaru

Hanaru comfort me

Reading List:
    Link
    is it easy to MTL ? i am quite interested~

15. Epsea

Epsea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope. You can definitely get the gist of what happens, but it won't be a pleasant experience because MTL misses a lot of the nuanced descriptions. You'll probably be able to understand the plot and get about 60% of the details. The missing 40% can make things confusing.

Example of what google translate gives you:
    The cold wind blew in along the half-open door panel and slammed the door.
    Yu Yu’s slightly active brain is frozen again because of the aroma of peach porridge, and the coldness is coming back. There is no fierceness before. He couldn't control it, and suddenly it turned black. It was too late to see the appearance of the descendants. The body fell uncontrollably toward the ground.
    But it should be more along the lines of:
    A cold wind blew in through the half-open door and pushed the door open fully.
    Yu Zhen’s brain which had started turning due to the peach blossom congee, once again stopped working. The coldness made a comeback more extreme than he had previously felt. He couldn’t control his shivering and his vision suddenly turned dark. Before he could see the appearance of the person behind the door, Yu Zhen’s body fell uncontrollably towards the ground.

But there might be better MTL tools out there compared to google, so it might be easy to MTL using other tools.

ahsudole and Hanaru like this.
  16. Hanaru

Hanaru comfort me

Reading List:
    Link
    what other mtl tools i can use~?

17. Saikyi

Saikyi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I heard baidu works better i think. Personally haven't tried it

18. psychobee

psychobee #SilentReader#

Reading List:
    Link
    Where can I read full raws except jjwxc? When I search I just got 107chapter, can't read the fanwai.