Discussion Blaming the female gamers... for what?

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by juniorjawz, Nov 3, 2017.

?

Feelings?

1. Uncaring

33 vote(s)
    63.5%
  2. Repulsed

7 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. Angry

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. Sad

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  5. Disappointed

13 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. Hurt

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  7. Guilty

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. *some other emotions*

14 vote(s)
    26.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Self fulfilling prophecy or is it self perpetuating?
    I can't recall the term but so called hardcore gamers made the bed they now have to sleep on. You are right on point :blobfistbumpR:

juniorjawz likes this.
  2. Mizura

Mizura Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha, yes. One of my favorite indie purchases is Thumper. I won't ever be able to finish it, that game is Hard. In the past, one of my favorite genres were traditional roguelikes, and if they ever release Dwarf Fortress or the likes on the Nintendo Switch, I'd buy it immediately.

But I've also been to a number of game forums, and some of those 'hardcore' gamers outright say things like 'indie games aren't real games' (dafuq) or 'they won't play something that isn't 60 fps' (okay). So they've spoken. What they Really want is fancy graphics, and challenging gameplay is just extra. *shrugs*

Wujigege likes this.
  3. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I have never been a gamer. Watched animated shorts of Overwatch and discovered a YouTube channel/network called TGN. It certainly is an entitled bunch.
    I am personally just happy that we did not end up with only 3 companies who control the global market for gaming like it is with music.
    Profitable companies last longer

4. Mizura

Mizura Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's a bit more baffling that 'I'm a gamer' is a thing. You don't see people going 'I'm a movie watcher, all you casual movie watchers stop ruining my hobby' or 'I'm a book reader. Get off my lawn'.

Is it because those aren't competitive? Then how about 'I'm a footballer, stop playing you people with inferior motor functions'?

I personally find the current AAA scene rather sad because they all seem to be squeezing into the action/shooter genres. From time to time you get breakout hits such as The Sims which you'd think Should have been a clue that perhaps there's demand for AAA games in other genres. Even Sim City-likes and RTS games are rare now.

Fortunately, you've got indie games and companies like Nintendo that still focus on gameplay over graphics. There have been hugely successful indies such as Minecraft, Terraria, Rocket League, Stardew Valley etc. that sold bucketloads, and they're in genres that AAA developers don't even bother to touch (I get it if they couldn't think up 'football with cars', which is Rocket League's concept, but surely there could be a few more titles in the builder genre?) Nintendo's practically the only developer left doing AAA platformers. Ubisoft made a tactical turn-based game for Nintendo Switch, and That seemed to have paid off pretty well right (I mean, it's a crossover between Mario and Rabbids, when the concept first leaked, everybody was like 'wtf is this', but it still seem to have sold well)?

5. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just a bunch of vocal minority that's just not suited to the bigger community.

Wujigege likes this.
  6. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    You should read TGN's about page on their website. They are very proud of themselves. Claiming not everyone who plays game is a gamer and how they cater to real Gamers.
    Exclusivity never lead to anything groundbreaking

7. Ignus

Ignus Philosopher of Flames

Reading List:
    Link
    You are using extreme examples to explain your point of view.
    A 13 year old should not be playing San Andreas in the first place, as it has an AO rating. (I don't even know what point your alluding to here... But, should Adult content not be made just because some kids can get their hands on it?)
    I never compared a prince to a nude woman. But a group of men archetypes to an under dressed woman, (added to explain) who both create psychological expectations for the opposite sex. (Note: I also didn't specify the group of men are found in Games, but can be found in all entertainment media)
    As men and woman are different... By presenting women with Ideal Men, and men with Ideal Women, then both groups are unhappy unless they get the best. Most men hope and wish for a Top 10 Model, and most women hope for a very social, charming and rich man.

In one sense, I agree that gaming companies goals are to be More profitable, and are attempting to draw in more female gamers through various tactics.
    But the PC is coming, whether you like it or not.

Wujigege likes this.
  8. Ignus

Reading List:
    Link
    People voted for Trump because of how corrupt Hillary obviously was, and Trump spoke like a real person rather than some Politician.
    All the politicians say one thing, and do another. At least Trump says one thing, and does it.
    Women are not interested in Semi-Nude Men is false. Woman enjoy a sexy man showing his abs as much as a man likes big tits.
    Semi-nude is not nude. Go to the beach with woman in bikinis, and men in swim trunks, and then tell them to take them off... see the reaction
    Political Correctness is correct by political standards, not by common sense, animal instinct, family values.... etc... In the last 50 years, PC is trying to flip the human culture of the last know 15,000 years. Don't kid yourself, its a revolution, one that comes with positive and negatives.
    See, survival was the name of the game. Men are physically stronger, and better hunters. Made so by evolution.
    Woman have better endurance, social skills, etc... Just like how animals use early warning signals and engage in "play/training")
    This is why more men are lazy and sit on the couch more, because they conserve energy for when a burst is needed to hunt a target.
    Woman chatter helps the community be aware of internal dangers, disease, problems in the community etc...

So the family unit had a structure, based upon instinct and survival. It grew and society mimic it.
    Now, with modern tech, it is not needed as much, and that is what is changing for the first time in thousands of years.

9. KosmikTraveler

KosmikTraveler Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This always happens and is nothing new. People will always vent their issues and bash on the minority.

Wujigege likes this.
  10. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I made the 13 year old allusion because of the ease of accessibility to games by kids.
    Some adults believe anime is the same with cartoons and dont even know hentai exists
    The other point, semi-nude is still nude
    Women are not interested in semi-nude men overly muscular men
    There is a reason Male Kpop idols who are metrosexual or effeminate are so popular, and why anime like Yowashi no Pedal or whatever it is called has so many Bl dojinshi.
    What attracts men does not attract women.
    I do not see any problems with Political Correctness, anyone who fears it, is just someone who enjoys vulgar language and is scared of being caught on it.
    Political Correctness is welcomed by me, anything abused is bad
    Simply saying Political Correctness = a Problem is being too extreme.
    I think you make very good points but you should be away that only extreme cases of PC abuse is portrayed in the media
    The same way over 900 deaths from gun violence and only a handful made the news in the US
    You should check politifact. Trump lies even more than the average politican

11. Mizura

Mizura Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be fair, he said 'say one thing and do another.' Trump actually seems to be pushing ahead on that Mexican wall of his, which is absolutely baffling to me.

Setting aside Hillary vs Trump (they were all bad okay?), the bigger underlying issue is arguably with the voters themselves, who analyze election campaigns with about the same attention they'd give to beer ads (mind you, this is true just about everywhere, not just the U.S.). I wouldn't blame them entirely, I blame the education system for not teaching a thing or two about... just about everything one should know a bit about regarding a country's policies (enough to vote on them, at least the basics of past economic, employment and development policies and how they turned out). If people were educated enough and able to fact-check by themselves, they wouldn't keep ending up with candidates they regret having at the final round of elections. But no, they're not able to really sit down and review and compare the track record and policies of every person campaigning, at the very start of the elections, and instead can't see beyond the slogans on TV. Not completely their fault, but still a sad state of affairs.

But I'm going off-topic.

Wujigege likes this.
  12. Seraphic

Seraphic Uncomfortably close

Reading List:
    Link
    *Sees thread title*
    This might be interes- *Five pages of vitriol*
    Ah......Might as well jump in! :blobhero::facepalm::blobpopcorn:

Let's see here....research time.
    /r/Incel: Access limited to those approved by moderators, but looking through cached pages: [This is a support group for people, incels, who lack romantic relationships and sex, but mostly geared towards those lacking a girlfriend or seeking marriage. They are involuntarily celibate, or "incel".]

/r/IncelTears: [IncelTears is a place for sane folks to submit screenshots (NOT direct links) of the crazy stuff posted by self-described Incels (involuntary celibates) wherein they make fools of themselves in their clueless quest to get laid and take women down a peg.]

Hmm hmm. Well, let's analyze.
    "Incel" is a definition arising from within its own community (as can be guessed by the "involuntary" bit, which implies a lack of control over their sexual status, which their opponents would dispute), and is thus a way someone identifies themselves and not a derogatory term pushed upon them by others. This is an important distinction, as it means that they themselves have coalesced into a culture and may even have some kind of pride in their status, as counterintuitive as that may be. Their description portrays them as a "support group" and they seem to emphasize their lack of autonomy in regards to their situation.

"IncelTears" is clearly a response to the consolidation of the Incel movement, but it could also be considered part of a broader societal progressive movement (what an American would define as the liberal social agenda; similarly, Incel could be seen as part of a broader anti-progressive movement that saw things like the resurgence of national isolationism, e.g. Trump, UKIP, AfD, basically anyone you'd imagine complaining about "political correctness gone mad"). Focusing on this subreddit specifically, "IncelTears" could be referencing Incels crying in order to mock them as whining over , or perhaps it aims to make Incels "shed tears", or perhaps both are valid interpretations. They portray themselves as the "sane folks" and they seem to focus on "attacking" incels through mockery of their "clueless quest". r/IncelTears can be taken a microcosm of the anti-Incel movement as a whole.

Looking at r/Incel being closed off, we can look at it from multiple perspectives. Perhaps one could see it as an attempt to protect their community from persecution. One could also see it as a means to block out dissenting opinions so they can live in a little echo chamber filled with like-minded people. Whichever way you want to parse it, though, it's a defensive maneuver.

Taking a closer look at the source:
    /r/incels is a support group for people who lack romantic relationships and sex, but mostly geared towards those lacking a girlfriend or seeking marriage.
    If you are suicidal, please go to /r/suicidewatch. If you need help, check out /r/anxiety and /r/depression.

Rules:
    1) No trolling, contentless insults, childish jokes, or bragging to intentionally provoke incels. No vicious personal attacks at anyone; we are fine with an occasional insult, but we are not fine with nothing but insults. Keep your anger and lack of civility to yourself.
    2) No laziness. Know what the subreddit is about and don't define incel as merely a lack of sex that can be fixed by going to a prostitute. Do not grossly exaggerate or stereotype all incels as the same or say all incels think they are entitled to sex/relationships or are hateful; everyone has different views. Likening incels to pedophiles or murderers will result in a ban.
    3) Any content that encourages a user who is suicidal to commit suicide or engage in self harm will be removed and you may be banned. This rule also includes encouraging people to do physical harm to others as well. Hypothetical talk of whether the world would be better off if humans were gone is fine, actively talking about and planning to murder someone is not.
    4)No empty platitudes. Write about actual, tangible stuff, not fortune cookies. It is fine if you sincerely want to help incels, but you need to actually put some effort in and not just repeat the same "lose weight, take a shower, get a haircut" common sense advice that doesn't help anyone because every incel already does it.
    5) No brigading. We also do not allow anyone who arrived here from an external link to post or comment.
    6) No online diagnosing and proposing of therapy.
    You're likely not a therapist or psychiatrist and if you were you should know that you can't diagnose online. You can have a general discussion of therapy but don't tell people they need it. If you are incel and you think you need therapy, please talk to your doctor or get advice on r/mentalillness/
    7) We discourage linking to hostile subs or even mentioning defamatory sites online. If you are linking another sub, please use NP links. Reddit user names need to be censored in screenshots. Username mentions that target, insult, or harass others will get removed
    8) In accordance with site rules, do not post any personally identifiable information of anyone. Screenshots of social media including Facebook, twitter, instagram, etc must have all names censored. The exception to this is well known public figures as per Reddit's rules.
    9) It is forbidden to accuse others of lying.
    Unless you have actual evidence that somebody is lying about a claim, like somebody inventing some statistic that isn't there or claiming something that couldn't have happened and you can prove it couldn't have, it is forbidden to just say "You're lying!" to somebody.
    10) Do not ask for scientific evidence of every claim unless you can provide the same evidence for your own claims.
    11) Those who continuously claim there are as many female incels in the same situation as male incels will receive a warning and then a ban. Most can agree that women can be incel in some rare situations such as extreme disfigurement, but their numbers do not come close to male incels

All posts and comments may be removed at the discretion of the moderators.
    IncelTears is a place for sane folks to submit screenshots (NOT direct links) of the crazy stuff posted by self-described Incels (involuntary celibates) wherein they make fools of themselves in their clueless quest to get laid and take women down a peg.
    This isn't a place to shame virgins, male or female, for being virgins. This is not a place to hate on people just because they can't get laid. This is a place to highlight those crazy, idiotic, misogynistic, jaw-dropping, or just plain incorrect crazy things Incels say, and for us to point, laugh, deconstruct, and maybe even educate.

Occasional discussion and meta posts are welcome, but are not the focus of the subreddit.

RULES -- IGNORE THESE AT YOUR OWN PERIL:
    1) NO POSTING OF PERSONAL INFO. All personal information, including names, usernames, and identifying pictures from any source -- Reddit, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc, shown in screen captures posted here MUST be censored. Any post that breaks this rule can and will be removed at any time by moderators. And needless to say, NO DOXXING.
    2) NO WITCH HUNTING. We get it, some of these guys are scumbags. Don't take matters into your own hands. If you want to rumble, don't start it here.
    3) NO ENCOURAGING SUICIDE OR OTHER VIOLENCE, even if you're just joking. Saying things like "I wish they would all just kill themselves already" or "Just end yourself already" is not cool here, whether you mean it seriously or not.
    4) DO NOT PM people based on their posts in this subreddit and put them on blast. We can't stop you from messaging anyone you want, but like w/ Rule 2, don't start it here. Anyone sending unprompted hostile PMs to posters or commenters here will get banned.
    5) NO USERNAME TAGGING in comments or posts; i.e., don't refer to other Reddit users like "/u/xyz". Your comment or post with a tagged user can and will be removed by the mods.
    6) NO MISOGYNY or BLACKPILL nonsense will be tolerated here. No incel apologism. If you make a claim that "All women think/are/do X" where "X" is some negative quality or behavior, that's misogyny. No, not all women are like that. The same types of negative generalizations about ALL men or ALL virgins (as opposed to just those who call themselves Incels) are also against the rules.
    7) NO LINKING to threads and comments in hostile subreddits (incels, realincel, etc). This INCLUDES "np" links. Use screenshots instead, please.
    8) NO OFF TOPIC POSTS; keep it relevant. No "woe is me" stuff. No concern trolling telling us we're meanies. No "rate me" or "lookism" posts. Incels, realincels, truecels, violent/aggressive "niceguys", and MGTOW related content is welcome. Generic "m'lady" stuff ain't. Some discussion posts are allowed at the discretion of the mods. AMA posts require mod approval.
    9) DON'T BE A JERK! Don't childishly insult others with 3edgy5me crap, or use offensive insults like retard and autist. No racism, no dick-shaming, no fat-bashing, no height-shaming, no insulting people with acne, etc. If someone isn't being nasty to you, don't be nasty to them. Mods get the final call on determining who has violated this rule. Everyone should be at least mostly civil on here.

Translation of the mysterious language spoken by Incels:
    -Incel: Involuntary Celibate (usually projecting their lack of game onto women)
    -Inceldom: The state of being an Incel
    -Incel Awareness: An Incel's realization of Inceldom and entrance into the sexless echo-chamber
    -Normie: A person who isn't an incel, aka anyone who can get laid
    -Chad: Pretty good looking guy who gets all the girls, although this definition changes as Incels need it to
    -Cuck: Every male that is not an Incel or Chad; see: Normie
    -Whore: Pretty much any woman who has agency in their sexuality (this pisses Incels off)
    -Stacy: Girls who sleep with so-called Chads
    -Roastie: Former "Whore" who's worn out from all dat Chad dick
    -FHO: Female Humanoid Organism (women in general)
    -ER: Elliot Rodgers; their (unironic) God Emporer
    -Workcel: An Incel who is too busy working to get laid
    -Gymcel: An Incel who attempts to compensate by working out
    -EscortCel: Incels who can only get a nut by paying for sex
    -Degeneracy: Anything that doesn't follow an Incels absurd world views (ie feminism, lgbt, interracial relationships, etc) as if bitter basement dwellers would know what's good for the world
    -FA: Forever alone
    -Suicide Fuel: Something that triggers an Incel (an event, image, rejection, etc)
    -Cope: Ways Incels attempt to cope with Inceldom
    -MGTOW: Men Going Their Own Way; Men taking agency over their masculinity and what defines it to them
    -LDAR: Lay-Down-And-Rot; give up
    -Rape: Generally defined by their means as forced PIV sex only; female on male rape is generally not recognized as rape by Incels
    -Black Pill: A catastrophic prophecy or spiritless prophesying for the future that is not necessarily grounded in reality, mostly based on beliefs that women are primitive and evil. A red pill gone hopelessly bleak.
    And screenshots:
    upload_2017-11-4_19-9-11.png
    upload_2017-11-4_19-10-9.png

upload_2017-11-4_19-13-3.png
    upload_2017-11-4_19-13-45.png

Wow....there's a lot to unpack....
    Take the rules, not as things incels and anti-incels never do, but things that they did often enough to warrant rules being created to curb those behaviors. The rules are also their to exclude the other side from their own respective areas.
    To summarize, incels, as noted, portray themselves as pitiful victims, and the anti-incel movement's existence and actions perpetuate this by being hypercritical. It should be noted, ironically, in this case it's the anti-progressives seeking to create a "safe space" (even if it's not labeled as such), which the progressive side criticizes in much the same manner that anti-progressives typically criticize the idea when applied to progressive movements. Of course, it should be noted that the incel community displays categorical misogyny, even if they deny that that is what the group is about.

Skipping right ahead to my opinion: "Incel" is a toxic constructed culture, but movements against it do little in the way of "solving a problem" and instead act as a catalyst for its growth because they aim mainly to invoke feelings of self-righteous outrage/indignation and superiority. Not that there is an immediate solution; nobody really wants dialogue and any attempt to "convert" someone would be met with ridicule. The core nature of their complaints are societal and often subjective, so empirical data is sketchy at best and could be used to support either side with proper framing. As infuriating as it may be to leave it be, the most effective means of ending the involvement of incel in gaming culture may be just to ignore them and continue buying those games that they hate, showing developers that those ones will be the ones that make money. As has been mentioned, games like Minecraft are shifting the core of gaming culture to a wider demographic.

juniorjawz and Wujigege like this.
  13. Ignus

Reading List:
    Link
  14. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  15. Ignus

Reading List:
    Link
    Sadly, the first thing that popped into my mind was a dis on Trump.
    Each lie counts as 3 because he only repeats saying the same thing over and over again.

16. Mizura

Mizura Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wish Americans would get better politicians. You know it's disturbing the crap out of people in the rest of the world and giving democracy a bad name, right? But I disgress.

@Seraphic It is true that helping people is much more constructive than mocking them. The problem is, in my experience, there's nothing worse than trying to help someone who doesn't want help. The mere suggestion that the problem lies with himself would set off a self-righteous indignation.

And the guys who joined r/Incel joined well... a group called r/Incel, dedicated to putting the blame on 'Chads', women and 'normies' instead of seeking self-improvement to change one's situation.

The thing is, I'm not sure mocking is entirely useless. Incel-dom seems to work a lot like Chuunibyou: they're both about feeling edgy and cool. Remove the cool factor and people may think twice about joining such a group or staying in it. When I was a teen, I went through a period of depression and confused (and somewhat edgy) thoughts, but one day I read a biology book that explained that teens go through a period of mood swings. Realizing that it wasn't a problem with the world but just biochemicals was actually a relief and helped me through that stage. Similarly, I suspect having a label of Chuunibyou likely helped many teens and the people surrounding them identify the 'problem' and helped them cope with it more rationally.

In other worlds, by mocking Incels and their arguments, would-be Incels could see that and go 'I'm not that stupid' and 'I'm not joining such a group of losers' (and people already in the group always have the option to get the hell out, until the label becomes but an empty name).

Wujigege and Seraphic like this.
  17. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    The help those who don't want help really struck close to home.
    It is very sad but humans seem to move farther away from compromise.
    I find that it is very effective to just click on ignore.
    Thanks to the internet you can always find someone who agrees with a person's view regardless of how dangerous it is.
    Humans rather fail than take advice and succeed on the first try.
    And yeah the cool factor plays a big role. I remember when being emo and cutting yourself was cool. Especially with all the Facebook groups all those years ago.
    People felt vindicated because if more than one person agrees with me then I must be right regardless of the facts or real consequences.
    I was sent to the hospital due to sleep issues and a misdiagnosis and met a lot of people who simply blamed everything on the world without taking even an inkling of trap responsibility..
    But why should there? There will be someone in the far corner of the earth who can echo their own thoughts through the internet even if the person is just a sadist that just wants to see them destroy themselves

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  18. Mizura

Mizura Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ouch. Yeah, I also learned the 'don't bother to help people who don't want help' rule the hard way.

Oh by the way, speaking of 'removing the cool factor', did you know that Superman radio shows were used this way against the Ku Klux Klan? It's a real story. People who hated KKK infiltrated it and used it to make up a whole episode of radio show of Superman vs the Klan, making fun of all its Real rituals and such. And it sure worked, it's hard to feel edgy when you're portrayed as clown-like fodders being beaten up by Superman. Hahaha!

Wujigege likes this.
  19. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha me and my typos, stroke instead of struck close to home
    The part of the KKK was funny
    Your posts have given me a bit of motivation to be a lot more shameless haha
    I will piss off a minority of the readers on my site but I do not care anymore
    Thanks for the nudge.
    I had to ignore someone on this thread, not my cup of tea

20. DollHead

DollHead NYAH HAH NAHA

Reading List:
    Link
    I dunno about the video but I read the spoiler
    "for myself I don't believe it the fault of female gamer it actually the casual u see the game company feel like every game u play u should finish I mean back in the day there were tons of unfinished games but now it more like none that is why when demon soul aka dark soul came up everybody was excited even tho it got milked like 5 times hardcore gamers want challenge and then we have a cuphead a game that rocked gaming sensless the cuz of his anger is because the time that games got izi is the same time women start joining the gaming world too many seris got ruined cuz they are izi we have assassin creed,cod,and mostly hack and slah games im not sure about what I wrote cuz i didn't watch the vid i only read the spoiler