Bought/Fake reviews?

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by Atros, Feb 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atros

Atros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just noticing there's a lot of... really mediocre novels on the site rankings these days, and they have a lot of 5 star, and a lot of 1 star reviews, with basically squat in the middle. I'm not sure if there's any real way to check the validity of the reviewers, though, but it just... seems unlikely. Shadow Hack was the one that most recently made me feel like there's some serious willful manipulation going on. War Sovereign Soaring The Heavens would be another one. Again, not really sure what could be done about it though. Maybe an option to only weigh "trusted" reviews from people with a certain amount of site usage, or something. I mean, I get that there's a lot of polarized opinions, but that sheer split between 1's and 5's is... extreme.

2. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    didn't read the post, but the answer to the title is: yes, there are

edit: after reading the post though, I don't think that the problem itself are the 5* and 1* ratings being the most common ratings for a lot of novels, rather they just have a lot more ratings than they should (because reasons).

(And there are quite literally all kinds of different reasons: Bots, readers who rate higher/lower because they don't feel the novel "deserve" it's current rating, those who rate novels without reading them—because they hate or like a tag, or author, or cn/kr/jp language, etc etc—, some novels where they give more chapters if they get enough votes an reviews etc, more fishy shit and other reasons are pretty much countless...)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    doomeye1337 likes this.
  3. Estarossa

Estarossa 《Master of Dessert》°Resurrected Ghoul°

Reading List:
    Link
    Theres a lot of bias. If theres a tag people dont like they auto 1 star, those peasants.

The 5 stars are people who enjoy it but dont really know how to critique, or just fake.

Ars and Gitami like this.
  4. Warger

Warger Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really, people either really like something or really hate it. Some people also have extreme views on entire genres such as BL, VR, etc.

otaku31, Rumby, chamchaworld and 3 others like this.
  5. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    Bought as in paying people to leave good reviews for a novel? They’re pretty stupid if they’re doing that. Just save yourself the money by doing the reviews yourself...jk haha~

6. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    On Qidian reviews be like 'bestest novel ever written, very much good!' :facepalm:

7. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    The review system on NU is not the best.
    Personally:
    First, synopsis(redundant) and tags. Then, look for the 4star to 1star ratio. If all looks good, read the first 20 chapters or so, and go to the LCD.
    Trust me, with the number of works being pumped out, you really should be selective about what you read.
    Edit: you can also search for reviewed by people you know or trust... Staff members or such people as well...

chamchaworld likes this.
  8. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Reviews are all manually checked by Tony, they are approved if they follow the guidelines.

If they aren't, please do report them, some can pass without him noticing, he will look at it again.

Ratings though? Probably more of a thing of split userbase than anything.

GonZ555, Arcturus and Black Parcher like this.
  9. reanox

reanox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, not necessarily. While there really seem to be many bad novels in the top 100 or even top 50 right now, it's not like it never happened before. PMG for example also once ranked quite highly if I remember right, and that one's just as bad. It's mostly due to their fast pace of translation. With a more average pace, they wouldn't be (as) popular.

10. Minokyuu

Minokyuu ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Reading List:
    Link
    there are some novels with 4+rating reviews in there that is so shitty especially with translation @_@

11. Jasad

Jasad ...not oldschool, just old...

Reading List:
    Link
    that's why i don't depend on the star and review..

12. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    If @Fluffums rates it 5 stars you know it's fapworthy.

13. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    People still take reviews seriously?

chamchaworld, Chrono Vlad and GonZ555 like this.
  14. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for the teaching, senior. You have given me enlightenment that shall significantly decrease the time I spend to reach the pinnacle of the Dao.

15. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    Eeeeeh?! :blobfearful:I just rate how well the novel is written... it's not my fault that well-written smut novels are fapworthy. Blame the authors. :blobnosebleed:

AliceShiki, GonZ555, Atros and 4 others like this.
  16. Atros

Atros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That post, and that avatar, I just.. Wow I'm gonna need a few minutes to pick up the shattered remnants of my mind now...

17. 222222

222222 12121212121212121212121212121212121212121212121212

Reading List:
    Link
  18. TheIndeed

TheIndeed [Cthulhu's old buddy]

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with Shadow Hack, there is without a doubt something iffy about the score and review. Looked on Qidian and something seems wrong about it aswell.

19. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    ... It might not be available on dmm right now, but the browser game she's from is definitely fapworthy. :blobokhand: Mendelssohn (avatar) as a sadistic onee-san who punishes (female) villains (in a sexy way) after you stop them? :blobokhand: Beethoven as a busty loli with a piano-scythe? :blobokhand: Rossini as a slightly chubby but massively well-endowed girl wielding a giant golden spork? :blobokhand::blobokhand::blobokhand::blobokhand::blobokhand:

It's even better if you know about the composers, instruments, and songs turned into cute girls because the conversations and details are surprisingly accurate. :aww: But you don't really need to know their origins or even like h-scenes to enjoy the gorgeous detail on their weapons and clothes.
    [​IMG]

What was the topic again? Oh yeah, I don't think reviews get faked or anything like that. There's no benefit to anyone for this, because if a novel gets outright false reviews people tend to get mad and post hate comments on the novel's website. And most translators don't really enjoy being hated, so while they might encourage people to say nice things, they wouldn't encourage outright fake reviews.

Ratings, on the other hand... :blobsmirk:

AliceShiki likes this.
  20. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    AkunDami and AliceShiki like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.