Changing Characters Race in TV/Movie

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by A.I.M.E-02847, Sep 8, 2018.

1. A.I.M.E-02847

A.I.M.E-02847 [Trying to understand Humanity]

Reading List:
    Link
    This begun me for a while and I hope I'm not the only one bothered by this but I have been noticing it issue a while in the Western adaption of superhero comics and now it coming in game adaptation.

This is because of the recent issue with the adaptation of the game Witcher. The maker of the Ni-flex show stated they don't want Ciri to be white since maybe they want it to be diverse? There are already characters race changed for the so called diversity.

One example is Iris West from Flash comics is a redhead and turned black together with her family. I guess they want it diverse... But aren't having redhead character diverse? Aren't redheads minority that is discriminated against in the past. They were condemned as a witch, burned and killed which reminds me of the Release of the Witch. Though it is already in the past and people don't care about that. It still felt sad seeing redhead characters changed into black. Guess redheads have the too small population or maybe they just don't whine that much. Also Domino in Deadpool was turned black. There multiple variation of her backstory where her skin turned white through mutation while other depicted of her being albino. Comics are sometimes having messy backstory due to having different writers.

Albino has genetics deformation that gave them white hair and pale skin. Just like redheads, they are quite are a minority and quite rare. But the scary part is they are still being discriminated against today and in much worst state. It's still believe in Africa that Albino's flesh has a healing effect and hunted for it. I would found it weird if those minorities are change just because they are "white".

They are trying to be diverse to show how they are thinking of diversity. Or what some people called for the minorities to have to look up to. But I haven't heard characters being change into Asians, Mexicans or any non-White race if they want to be diverse. Also the chances of Ciri being Asian might be low. Asian characters are even replace white which method this people look down upon. Can they make interesting characters rather changing an existing one. Race is not a boundary for a person to look up to a character. Even people look up to fictional characters with different race and gender like in anime, novels and books.

I might be reading too much on this so I wonder if other people have similar ideas with me or speculation. It would be nice to hear your thought about this issue.

runsing likes this.
  2. sadmanex

sadmanex [I'm popular too]

Reading List:
    Link
    you never watch dr strange? 1 become black and 1 become woman

3. Varno

Varno True Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really pay attention to race, but if they change Ciri to black, I would have a problem with it. Maybe changing background characters wouldn't be a problem, but main characters shouldn't be changed.
    The reason they do it in comic books is because of continuity; they have to be carful about adding new characters. Also why I don't read comics, evey story should have an ending.

A.I.M.E-02847 likes this.
  4. A.I.M.E-02847

Reading List:
    Link
    I watch the movie but I'm not really a marvel comics fan and due to the recent releases I don't think I going to touch Marvel comics. So I don't know the accuracy of the Doctor Strange comics.

I totally agree on that part and even though adaptation straying too far from the source material will cause backlash. They seem not to learn from it.
    Yup comics are getting too messy due to their continuity and restart which is kinda tiring to follow. Which why I only read few comics nowadays.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2018
    Varno likes this.
  5. Big Boy

Big Boy Weeabo Slayer

Reading List:
    Link
    I get really peeved when they change a primary character's race / origin in the name of some bullshit diversity. Let black people play black characters and asian people play asian characters. No need to bastardize franchises that are near and dear to people's hearts because some jackass executive decided to flaunt his virtue.

I'm all for the rebranding of a character's background or race or whatever, but it has to have actual meaning behind it. Otherwise give us a white 'black panther' and watch these dickhead SJWs lose their shit.

runsing, Varno and A.I.M.E-02847 like this.
  6. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Worst is when people start pushing "diversity" into historical fiction.
    For example having black people "everywhere" in roman britain.

7. Faetro

Faetro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    An important thing to remember is how to not care about these things; if you stop caring about them, then the small part of the population that likes to circle jerk itself, get angry about or pander to people who like those kinds of things will go about their merry way without you. This stuff is being pumped out by the buckets full to feed the growing demand for idle entertainment by the opium-of-the-week masses to rake in as much money as they can. They don't care. The people consuming it don't care. Make that money and help people forget their lives for a while as they stare slack-jawed at their chosen mental junk food.

Enjoy something briefly and then let it go forever. The longer it exists the more time other people have to ruin it for you forever, if you hold on to it.

Eventually you get old enough that everything sucks and these damn kids nowadays don't know nothing about real music, movies, tv, books, or even how to be well spoken. At least none of them go outside anymore, so I don't have to worry about them on my lawn....

8. A.I.M.E-02847

Reading List:
    Link
    Reminds me of the King Arthur movie having a black man as a knight. Which is quite questionable besides black existing in Britain in that era and knights are mostly nobles or high class citizens. And the movie is a flop.

Maybe I'm curious on the standpoint of the movie creators since they are basically choosing to loss money with that idea. After all most movie or adaptation turn to fail due to those changes. But I guess some people blind to the statistics or blinded by their ideals. I'll just wait how the Witcher TV adaptation goes before deciding if it's worth my time even though I curious due to the game just what usually do to other movies and games.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2018
  9. LordCorwin

LordCorwin Supreme Book Lord; Leader of the Fiction Faction

Reading List:
    Link
    This is one of those issues that bugs the hell out of me. Not because they are changing ethnicity, religion, or gender of characters, while frustrating I can eventually acclimate myself to changes although depending on how long a character has been another way it may take longer.

What really tends to bother me is that they make such a big deal out of it. They don't just change it and let it be, instead it has to be this huge thing, "We changed it to so that the stories/characters would be more diverse or speak to more people in a contemporary settings" and then they go out and shout it from the rooftops. If you're going to make the change, then make it for the right reasons, because it will make the story better. Don't just change it because you think it will appeal to a specific group or groups of people or because you are getting pressured because there are too many white people in a story for example.

10. A.I.M.E-02847

Reading List:
    Link
    Just make interesting black characters there are plenty cool black characters can't they make one. But I guess they are afraid to make new characters that can make people like it and decide to change existing one.

A nice example of changing character is in the Justice League Animation having a black man Green Lantern (John Stewart) but it works since the Green Lantern is a military organization and Hal Jordan still exist but his working in the Green Lantern corps. Making a new character is the best choice rather than changing an existing one. Though there is a fail new character in the Star Wars: The Last Jedi where there try to add a cool female storm-tropper trying to emulate boba feet but end up being covered by a surge popularity of a random regular storm-trooper who shouted 'traitor' lol.