Discussion Character deaths

Discussion in 'Manga Discussion' started by ZXu2002, Apr 20, 2019.

1. ZXu2002

ZXu2002 I am a idiot

Reading List:
    Link
    so i was just reading the discussion for dr Stone, and there were a lot of people that were complaining about the lack of significant character deaths in the series. This brought me back to One Piece, which also had very little significant (none flashback) character deaths. Obviously, I know that they are important to the plot when necessary and sure authors can mess up (eg Pell not dying after his sacrifice moment) but for me, a character should only die if it must emphasis a theme or further the plot. Why would people actively complain about a lack of character deaths, especially if its a story which does not require one to continue the story?

Kingloli229 likes this.
  2. Novetsu

Novetsu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really care about the lack of character deaths unless it's a novel about large scale wars... The have to be at least a few deaths in a war after all...

3. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To make the manga appear more realistic and gritty?

When situations which may lead to deaths occur frequently, there should be some char. deaths to drive home the reality of the perils faced. Even important chars. should not be able to escape by luck every-time, otherwise the tension/effect brought about by life threatening events would pale due to predictability.

Simply put, if no deaths occur in the face of multiple dangerous situations, then the component of danger in the readers' minds would keep reducing, eventually rendering such situations, and by extension, a major element of the tale, ineffectual altogether.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    Jaded and Tilgarial like this.
  4. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    So there are actual heavy consequences to chars idiocity?

5. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate character deaths, specifically when the characters only died because readers dont want a harem like wtf why did you have to kill her?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  6. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    No no no no, if a few gallons of blood is spilled every battle the question would be why there are only so few deaths?!

Not to mention killing characters in action is a far better solution than letting them die off-screen (aka forgotten) when you have too many characters...

sekach likes this.
  7. ZXu2002

ZXu2002 I am a idiot

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, there ARE other ways to punish a character outside of straight up killing them off. I mean, just by removing a limb or something, it can cause all kinds of character development without killing them, or even just temporary punishments like torture or starvation (can’t list any examples off the top of my head)

8. An Anime Addict

An Anime Addict (≧▽≦)/̵͇/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ (▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿▀̿ ̿)

Reading List:
    Link
    I do not complain about not having character deaths normally but if you tell me that someone used a super duper freaking fucked up forbidden that has 99.99999999% chances of dying but still survived due to that 0.000.....1% and that too innumerable time because of freaking luck :hmm::facepalm:then of course i would complain dammit:blobpoliceangry:

otaku31 likes this.
  9. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean yes but a proper meaningful death hits home hard. I agree not every story needs one but a story where it fits and was used correctly it is a brilliant tool.

sekach likes this.
  10. Sayne

Sayne if u read this u are a noob

Reading List:
    Link
    I love Character Deaths, that increases the Suspense/Realistic feeling/makes it darker and more emotional

otaku31 likes this.
  11. Siceraria

Siceraria Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep, definitely. Kenny Lancer dying always makes things better.

Sabruness likes this.
  12. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    I once read a certain manga or novel ( can't really remember which one is it and the title ) author killed the best girl.... :blobsad: