China banned Ghost Story

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Narberal, Jul 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Narberal

Narberal 『 Pleiades 』

Reading List:
    Link
    So apparently, due to CCP they made a law that makes writing ghost stories illegal now because it "advocates ignorance".

RIP My House of Horror and other good stories they are now deleted on their sites

What do you think about this law they just passed?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  2. Elixz8247

Elixz8247 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds idiotic and limits artistic expression.

3. Chronos Bee

Chronos Bee Descendant of Sloth

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait what the fuck?

4. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And also on their quest to ban action novels.

5. jersanxx1

jersanxx1 『Lost Toy』『Mostly Lurking』

Reading List:
    Link
    So, china is becoming a militaristic nation then ?
    It's plain stupid to limit artist's expression. Especially from the nation who treasures literature.

I don't feel bad the story being removed, but I feel bad for those artiste who makes a living out of it.

P.S. China is becoming a second N.Korea(but w/o the famine thing ofc). I'm calling it now.

Capsize and Reak like this.
  6. HappyHavak

HappyHavak The Laughing Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    RIP CNs. JPNs have always been meh to me barring a few exceptions. At least I still have KNs I guess.

IRainstorm likes this.
  7. PotatoZero

PotatoZero Well-known Potato

Reading List:
    Link
    Hm? But horrors are not limited to ghost or supernatural only?

8. HiroBlaze

HiroBlaze Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's like shooting themselves in the foot. Media like this and games in general are like softpower (look at Japan with their video games and anime, South Korea with kpop and mmo's). Softpower is a way to export their culture to other places and a bargaining chip in some instances.

The large gaming industry in China has come to a halt practically with their new censorship committee. Probably only "Mary or Gary Sue" type novels with pro China content will be allowed now. It's kind of ironic that some people in these industries are packing up and leaving China for good.

UnknownSaint171, asriu, kenar and 2 others like this.
  9. ediav42

ediav42 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well they are communist and already heavily censor various things. I really hope I can still access those relevant stories. Those authors should move elsewhere so they can maintain their livelihoods.

UnknownSaint171 likes this.
  10. HappyHavak

HappyHavak The Laughing Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    How hard do y'all think it'd be to set up a company that works directly with the Chinese authors to publish their works overseas? If they use a foreign company to publish outside of China would they still be affected by the censorship?

11. jersanxx1

jersanxx1 『Lost Toy』『Mostly Lurking』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't mind them being communistic and all. However, these new strict protocols is basically spitting the multitudes of history of their culture. Even Mao Zhedong isn't stupid enough to spit on it, but now China numbah wan gov't is.

12. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm... What the laws written as ? Can you link the exact law in question ?

jersanxx1, Reak and otaku31 like this.
  13. HiroBlaze

HiroBlaze Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That might be a bit difficult since a number of authors live in rural or suburban areas. Usually they only know Chinese and some English, unless they are a language enthusiast. They could go to Taiwan.

I mean it wouldn't be the first time.... the Chinese cultural revolution ripped ancient Chinese culture to pieces, historic sites, cities, etc. For example, if you wanted to study Chinese traditional medicine, then you study until you reach a point where you can't continue your studies anymore due to a lack of documents on ancient medicine. All those documents were burned or incomplete. Then as a result, you would have to go to Japan to study ancient Chinese medicine because they still have their documents intact.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Astaroth and UnknownSaint171 like this.
  14. Narberal

Narberal 『 Pleiades 』

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm also waiting for my friend to reply about it since you probably cant search it using english words.
    I just learn about it earlier and check My House of Horror in qidian which is now deleted.

so I also check their tag/genre list in qidian and supernatural got remove (I think there was a supernatural tag way back when I last check it which was march)

Edit: Another novel that got deleted is https://www.novelupdates.com/series/spirit-hunters-of-maoshan-sect/.. so the completed series are safe while the ongoing series have been deleted.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    reagents 11 likes this.
  15. ediav42

ediav42 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t care too much either as any governmental system is imperfect and has various flaws (some worse than others like a military dictatorship), but it has made it that power leans heavily towards the government and thus given a pre-disposition to making corrupting influences have bigger ripples than they would in different system.

Though I’m not into getting into a debate on such things as there is no one superior system (and even if there is one in theory, we humans would probably screw it up as we are imperfect; I’m not particularly self-loathing or a misanthrope, just being realistic of humanities faults that can hopefully get better over time as we are fairly young as a species and practically kids in the grand scheme of things)

16. Disgusting

Disgusting Fetishist

Reading List:
    Link
    Ghost stories like Tiananmen Square....
    Kekekekekekekekeke, couldnt help myself.

baka8roukanako and philosopher17 like this.
  17. null

null Procrastinate Lv MAX

Reading List:
    Link
    I heard they hit game novel too.

18. Viator

Viator [Cult of Pyoo: Pyoo's Oak Tree]

Reading List:
    Link
    Brace yourself guys.... this likely means there will be some wicked underground horror stories springing up anonymously. I could be wrong, but in my mind, if you look at history, outright banning things just seems to intensify the demand for them. Some truly passionate horror buffs might just start fighting the system while hiding out.

*Imagination... ever the enemy of communism

User01 and Deleted member 89812 like this.
  19. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Ai-chan doesn't really have a problem with that. A Chinese Ghost Story is nothing but sexploitation smut.

Oh you mean non-sexual ghost stories? China's leadership just doesn't like unscientific, unverified, unflattering and religion/cult-based stuff. The ban on ghosts has been going on since 2017, but people in China still make those types of stories.

China says they don't like a lot of things, but the implementation is almost always half-hearted. They can say, "We ban puddings now and anyone who makes puddings will be prosecuted." Then a week later, you see people selling puddings right in front of the government building and nobody does anything because not even the government officers remember what is currently outlawed.

But 2 years later, the pudding seller scolded someone high up in CCP for running over his stall. This scolded person then enacts the "Anti-Pudding Law", and prosecutes the pudding seller for selling puddings. The pudding seller goes to jail and reeducated. In other words, you can break the law in China in broad daylight, as long as someone doesn't get petty. Laws are pretty arbitrary in China.

20. grumble_rumble

grumble_rumble Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So why are they communists then?

draw2much likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.