Question Chinese Translation HELP

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by godjam, Jul 4, 2022.

1. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    Our conversation started on whether the dialogue should be translated words for words.
    Thank you for your plane.
    Or thank you for your gift.
    The sentence above is a part of a dialogue.

2. ragingphoenix

ragingphoenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

踩雷 (step on a mine) pretty much means to trigger, in the internet slang context of setting off a flame war.

godjam likes this.
  3. Irisia

Irisia Moon bunny at your service

Reading List:
    Link
    the exact translation and term is plane, and abstract is gift. it's like saying my mom vs my parent.

4. nonononononono

Reading List:
    Link
    Again, that's a terrible example you are giving. But that's besides the point.

But since you didn't want to say anything about the dialogue part, I'll take that as your agree that we are indeed discussing about the translation of a dialogue.

Now we can move onto the next question, should translation of a dialogue be literal?

Using a following example

"He got into an argument with someone on Tieba."
    Vs
    "He got into an argument with someone online"

Or "there's a green hat on his head."
    Vs
    "His wife cheated on him with someone else."

Using your logic, the second translation would be inaccurate.

If not inaccurate, why would gift would be the inaccurate translation of plane.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
  5. Irisia

Reading List:
    Link
    because gift is a veeeeery broad term compared to plane. of course if the gifted item is explained in further text it is okay to use gift. I am not only talking from translator's perspective, but from streamer's and viewers too. viewers love to hear their 'actions' specified, to the point where if it is called out incorrectly they spam the chat. imagine if you subbed to tier 3, but the streamer said tier1? nah not gonna happen. a bit toxic but that's how it is in reality. imagine others in your stream team playing the game and you standing in the game corner for half an hour calling out subs and etc. this is very common for big stremers, and let's be honest, none of the streamers in novels are small time streamers with 10 viewers.
    streamers in twitch do call out gift, when given gifted sub, but that's because sub is the only gift you can gift, even the button says gift a sub. even if you don't specify everyone knows what it is.

6. nonononononono

Reading List:
    Link
    This is precisely my point. Especially when it comes to CN novels where authors love to write reactions of bystanders.
    If the gift plane is not explained in the further text, it means that it is not important to the story. Hence, there is no need to translate it as a plane.
    If the gift plane is explained in the further text. There is also no need to translate it as a plane, because it will be highlighted by the bystanders' or, in this case, viewers' reactions, again and again. You will be reading a translation with the word plane here and there many times. Would this be considered a good practice?

7. Irisia

Reading List:
    Link
    plane is one of tens of gifts, so unless it's the top gift it won't be too repetitive. and the top gift needs to be translated for sure. by not translating properly you are loosing out on author's intentions, and making the text even more repetitive and boring. there are reasons why we call things what they are. there will be lolipops, planes, boats, airships, rockets, spaceships and others but to call them all the same... you are making light of translating and author's efforts to create his own universe.

8. nonononononono

Reading List:
    Link
    How exactly is it not repetitive?
    Maybe I can give you another example.

"Thank you for your plane!" The steamer exclaimed in excitement as a plane flew across the screen.
    Vs
    "Thank you for your gift!" The steamer exclaimed in excitement as a plane flew across the screen.

Based on you, the second one is more repetitive than the first one?

And this is not even including the reactions of viewers.

I'm not talking about how many planes people gave. But how many viewers react to just one gift.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
  9. godjam

godjam Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    what does this mean??

“啊啊啊roll跨!这TMD是roll跨啊!太绝了雾草!!”
    “Ah ah ah roll cross! This is a fucking roll cross! It's amazing misty grass! ! ”

i think it's a slang?? that roll and misty grass thing,

10. Isticon

Isticon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Roll is hiphop dance move. 雾草 is 我草