LCD CITY OF SIN

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Anon2.0, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well. Damn.

2. Opjohnaexe

Opjohnaexe Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So i've heard claims that this is "what's so bad about this story" (what appears to be happening now with current enemies suddendly appearing. If this is true, I find that somewhat rediculous, as of course that'd happend, it's no surprise really, the story is built on the concept of the main character overcoming powerful enemies. So if the story ran out of powerful enemies, it'd be over, yet it clearly isn't as he's nowhere near "max level". To anyone claiming this to be a case of bad storytelling, I personally disagree, it's more a convention of the genre of novel this is, it cannot exist without stronger antagonists, as then the story is essentially over.

By the way do forgive my rant, and any eventual spelling errors, I'm currently enjoying a lovely, but rather strong beer.

3. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thing is, enemies arent exactly appearing out of nowhere. It was earlier stated how it works, you kill the cub before it turns into a wolf and bites you. As Richard grows in power enemies from further away will take notice and attempt to wipe him off the map. Few of them will act in the open during earlier stages to boot.
    He might be a promising young wolf in this empire, but to the other empires he wasnt a threat. Until recently that is. It makes perfect sense that these enemies will now slowly begin to attack him, and analyzing his troops is a key component in this. The fact that the author shows us this before he simply drops the bomb is indicative that he planned in advanced to a certain degree.

Also, ATG and MGA have higher average scores than the likes of MoE or CoS. It tells you A LOT about the average reader here.

4. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    This is the LCD. There's no need for spoiler tags. If someone is reading the posts in this thread, they have by default read the latest chapter - or just don't give two bits for spoilers. Plus, you didn't really spoil anything at all, so...

Are you talking about the weird guys that appeared and dug up those corpses?

Someone in the comments mentioned that sounded Schrumpeter-like, which I agree with, so this may be the reappearance of old enemies, not new ones. Don't forget that the families of Faust are not complete jokes. A handful of rune knights and a couple of saints does not an island-claim make. Until a family is completely wiped out, we can assume Richard's enemies have plenty of cards left in hand. ... Mmm.. Another option are broodmother-esque types. The priestess recognized the seed way back when, right? Even feared it a bit. It's possible there are other broodmothers out there, and the appearance of one would also be pretty logical. It wouldn't be an enemy just "appearing out of nowhere."

Whoever made comments about the author just pulling nonsense enemies out of his ass was exaggerating, at best.

5. Opjohnaexe

Reading List:
    Link
    I know, but I'm still trying to be accomodating (possibly more than neccessary), yes I'm refering to those guys, when I read the chapter there was a discussion about this being the "bad habbit" of the author to pull new enemies out of his hat at random. But I just can't bring myself to find that as a flaw specific to this story, as if there are no antagonists, the entire story falls apart, so the idea that new ones appearing being bad, is beyond my understanding.

To me it appears that it's most likely someone with a brood mother like being of their own, which I think would exclude the faust families, as while they're strong, having such a being in their service, would make them a lot stronger than the other families, not as how it stands where they're just somewhat stronger. If they had a significantly stronger brood mother like being, then them fearing Richards potential, would be rediculous, as such a being would completely tilt the situation in their favour in every possible way.

Westeller likes this.
  6. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    Could be an only slightly more powerful broodmother, or even an equivalent one. Levelling does become progressively more difficult, after all, and Richard has been insanely lucky just to get her to level.. 9, was it? Not every day a godling just happens to fall into your lap, immediately after you finish conquering the large ancestor-worshipping tribes that happened to conveniently surround you. And so on. ... And I don't know about you, but if I possessed a broodmother, I would certainly see a newly rising broodmother as a direct threat to me, anyway. Just having the thing is "potential worth fearing," because that'd be an enemy with the same advantage I have.

I'm really leaning more towards Schrumpeters, though. Their highly-advanced breeding experiments have been mentioned before, they're already enemies we know, it wouldn't be a coincidence for them to be observing Richard's public march, and they'd have had plenty of chances to form suspicions about his knights and their mounts. It really makes sense.

Either way, though, what I'm saying here is that I don't believe enemies have been "appearing out of nowhere" in this novel at all. The author does a relatively good job of making interesting characters - enemies, allies, and even allies that could easily be called enemies - that have their own motivations and stick around for a long, long time. The person who was complaining was just wrong. That's all. It's fine to be critical of the novel, but it'd be better if they stuck to complaints that were actually, y'know, accurate.

7. Opjohnaexe

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest neither of us knows, as knowing would requires us to have read ahead, which neither of us have done (to the best of my knowledge at least), so the discussion about what it is, is somewhat void. But what I was really focusing on personally was the whole matter, of the "flaw" that the author seemed to have, personally I was fearing that the story would turn into a standard generic xianxia, with the main character going off on his own to grow stronger and fight alone, quite frankly there're loads of those, so I was worried it'd go down the same route, I much prefer stories whereby yes the main character is strong, but so are the side characters and the rest of the supporting cast. If anything I've been happier recently as we've gotten new characters onto the scene, whereas in the past it was basically just Richards initial Faelor party for a very long time.

8. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    No, uh, the discussion is important because we're identifying the potential origins of the enemies and their motivations for being an enemy in the first place. The complaint was that enemies are just "appearing out of nowhere." If we can - without having read ahead - sort of figure out what kind of enemies these are and where they came from, the complaint is completely invalid from the beginning.

Which it is. It's just nonsense.

And yes. The side characters in this novel are really good, and long-lived.

(And "discussing" after having read ahead is considered spoiling, frankly, and if you even suspect someone is doing that in an LCD thread, please report them. Informed discussion of untranslated content is supposed to go in the Spoiler subforum. This subforum is for translated content only -- you can, and should, assume everyone in the LCD has read up to the current latest translated chapter).

9. Opjohnaexe

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm a bit tired, and slightly drunk so I guess I'm not really thinking straight, so yes I get your point.

10. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    Mm.. Well when you're less tired and more sober, you might wanna try Monarch of Evernight, if you haven't. Same author. Side characters in that one are just as good - they're heavily involved, many live for basically ever, and they have complicated relationships with the MC. ... MoE's MC is a bit more of a fighter and less of a general compared to Richard, but the military/conquering/etc bits are all still there. In fact, you might like it more since the MC isn't somehow doing everything.

11. Opjohnaexe

Reading List:
    Link
    I did, couldn't get into it in the beginning, was a bit too edgy for me, though it might get better later. I can normally accept edgy stories, as long as it doesn't cross a certain threshold. And of course another factor is what mood I'm in, sometimes I'm more forgiving for a stories "flaws" when I'm more bored.
    Most of all I just relentlessly search for stories at the quality level of LoTCG, which is my personal favourite Xianxia (so far at least, it's far from finished, and I cannot stand MTL).

12. Westeller

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice. I've always thought Raymond was underused as a character. Good to see him making a comeback.

13. Luruxi

Luruxi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kinda hope that Flowsand will stop being so stubborn and pay her debt now that she realized she can't actually do anything for Richard as long as her life is owned by the Eternal Dragon.

14. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    I just started this book. Can someone describe to me the power levels?

15. TheHoblit

TheHoblit Peak Dual-Cultivator

Reading List:
    Link
    they are classified into numbered levels, currently 1-20 is known. levels are given titles at the high end, but those titles change based on the plane they are in.

16. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    Does this use the levels or rules from Warlock of the magus world?

17. Seraphic

Seraphic Uncomfortably close

Reading List:
    Link
    No, not really.....or more to the point, no, not at all. It's also not totally like the D&D system, if that's what you were talking about, but fairly similar to it.

Levels here are kinda fluid; that is, while a level 18 is stronger than a level 17, there's not some huge, huge difference between them. Above level 20 might be a different story, but while the MC is considered a powerful fighter, he's not really that unique in being able to kill people above his level. His value to the kingdom he's part of is more a function of his production capabilities, which I won't get into too much if you haven't read the book.

To compare to WMW, the powers are a lot more subdued, though maybe a little more powerful than the equivalents in the World of the Gods. It's impossible to get a direct comparison, but I get the impression that a fifth or sixth level magus from WMW could stomp pretty hard on just about anyone introduced so far in this universe barring special existences like the Eternal Dragon.

18. guigs

guigs Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One thing, the is some levels who have a strong diference(17 to 18 and 20 to 21)
    A level 16 wining a level 17 or a level 18 wining a level 19 is much easier than a level 17 wining a level 18.)

19. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    All caught up now. It’s so weird seeing the cute, little, innocent Richard in the beginning become what he is now so fast

20. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I really want to read this novel coz' of the high reviews. But, the massive info dump on the Prologue plus the untimely time skip on chapter 1 are really off putting.