Cleaning up tags on NU V2.0

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by marine1corps, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The problem isn't in having language-specific tags or genres in-and-of itself. The problem is how they're applied to the wider range of works on the site. Xianxia, Xuanhuan, and Wuxia are all Chinese terms. Just like with my Shounen/Shoujo comment above, the language of origin prejudices their use. China doesn't have a monopoly on cultivation and fighting novels, but there are only 5 non-Chinese novels that use those genres. If the tags weren't tied to any specific language, they'd be relevant to a much wider swath of the novels on the site. I'd rather see a "Cultivation" genre. If you want Chinese cultivation, just select that language with the "Cultivation" genre.

2. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    actually, i am more interested in your reasoning.

'tis fine. i can wait. :cookie:

LaDyViL likes this.
  3. ohm-low

ohm-low Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Standardized/uniformed making it easier to read. Spoke to Tony about making the field a non-writeable one (with a checkbox-style instead), which he agreed with doing whenever he had some free time. Till then I figured I'd just burn my own life energy.

4. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    now, here's my reasoning(s)
    1. in regards to Complete/Completed/Ongoing/ongoing

user O prefers the word Complete, so when he sees the word with D (Completed), he removes them. then came along user K, he prefers the word with D, so he re-adds them. later, user O stops by again, saw the word has D again, so he removed them again. then user K..

thus a never-ending cycle is formed.

2. in regards to merging chapters info/ removing extra info

first, i would like to quote another mod
      2nd, some novel's real chapter counts are not the same as the final number it uses. for example, ISSTH. the last number before the 3 afterstory is 1614. but in actuality, the chapter counts is only 1613. the author skipped c690 and went directly to c691. just by this example, we can see that extra info does help.

3rd, while some novel have its own separate page fo WN/LN version, most doesn't. Let's take The New Gate for example. the novel has only single entry, while the chapters are from both WN and LN version. originally that novel was tagged as WN, but was later changed to LN to mirror its latest translator's choice of source material. Therefore, having both chapter/volume count listed is perfectly reasonable
      same reasoning goes for a novel tagged as WN, having an info about its LN is not an error, nor does make it redundant, provided that the novel has only single entry. however, removing any of them after-the-fact, can be considered one. (an error)

4th, i truly failed to see why would
      100 Chapters (Complete)
      is preferable compared to
      95 WN Chapters + 3 WN Side Story + 2 Manga Special (Completed) . (or Complete)

an extra question if i may, why question mark ? if you're not sure of something, why change it at all.

Blitz and LaDyViL like this.
  5. ohm-low

ohm-low Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1 & 2: So why not set up a rule-set on a standard format?
    3: Each entry has a "type", adding in light novel translations under the web novel entry is just straight up wrong. If anything the problem is not adding a secondary entry for alternative versions. It's then very easy to jump across different versions via the "Related Series"-function. I'll make sure to double check that light novels have a entry before removing the line in the future.
    4: Again, as I said in my first explanation I'm simply trying to standardizing. It's simply an effort to make the minority fall in line with the majority, seeing as it's quite rare to split up interludes, afterwords and introductions chapters.
    Extra question: I was being lazy on verifying if it really was complete, I've noted that question mark often strikes a cord in other OCD people solving the question rather quickly. In any case I'll refrain from doing so in the future.

6. runsing

Reading List:
    Link
    NU will perhaps has a better, more standardized function for such thing, but until then, we should keep the extra info as long as it a valid info.

not quite. the reason it doesn't have an alternative version of the page is because the other version doesn't have a translation yet. that again, is why it shouldn't be removed, for it will become a reference when setting up the other version.

it is quite rare, but it doesn't mean removing is better. some jp novel, when they have anime, or manga, the original author might cook up a special story, for bundling with the tankobon, or bluray. or sometimes, they just made one for special occasion, like valentine day, or x'mas.

rather than striking ocd, it creates an impression that it was allowed (to less familiar users), and thus creates a precedent.

AliceShiki and LaDyViL like this.
  7. mihaita98

mihaita98 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, system administration is giving me the impression that we are talking about situation where the protagonist is either a game master and is able to influence the game, or we are talking about a protagonist that reincarnated as a part of a complex system, or as a system itself.
    I wanted to use system as a tag to express the fact that the protagonist its not in charge of the system itself, but if you think is too vague, that use system assisted instead, it will clear the confusion and it will not need a detailed description
    As for system admin, you can use it for programmers, or game masters or in case the protagonist is partially or completely in charge of a system after reincarnation, or become a system himself

8. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No to System tag. Reasons has been explained.

AliceShiki and Blitz like this.
  9. mihaita98

mihaita98 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I bet you didn't even read the hole message, no?

10. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I did. Read the whole thread, thanks.

AliceShiki likes this.
  11. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    I would like to suggest addition of tag whose temporary name i could think of is 'Revived in future' / 'Cryopreservaton' / 'Preserved life from previous era' or something along those lines (i know the names are terrible hence temporary name, i would like a suggestion for a name)

Description (sort of) - Like mc got frozen in ice and people found him after a long time and defroze him, for example. It does not need to be just cryo as i can see how that would be super niche but in general person/plant/stuff from an previous era that somehow managed to get preserved (like got petrified among others) and revived back in current era.
    Now this can be restricted just to mc or be generalized to include more stuff.
    It is important to note that this does not include time travel as you still travel in the normal time but are sort of hibernating
    A good example would be sukasuka, where mc was found frozen in an expedition, preserved as a relic from old era + spoilers.
    Another example would be me, her and ballistic weaponery (antique) where the mc wakes up in future on a spaceship which was a sleeper ship.
    An example (not on nu) to clarify what i mean even more is prehistoric-barbarian on rrl. In this case it is ambiguous whether to use the tag i suggested or not as mc arrived in future on a spaceship without knowing anything. Now depending on author's decision and plot it can go either way as unintended time travel or what I am saying. In such case not tagging it till it is confirmed would be a solution.

Now it might look like it is not a super widespread thing but that is just due to lack of scifi stuff on nu. It is better to implement it as if scifi becomes a thing on nu, it would need to be necessarily implemented, better do it now.

-----
    I also have problems with time travel tag but lets leave it for another time.

12. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmmmmm... Not sure, seems like a specific type of Time Skip?

I can see why it would be needed, just unsure if it isn't already covered well-enough by it.

13. Ddraig

Reading List:
    Link
    I cancsee why you think it falls under it but it is a different thing coz
    1. Time skips happen in middle of story like mc is now an adult unlike what I am suggesting
    2. This is not a time skip as it is way over the required time for what you would consider time skip in a story
    3. You dont have preserved peeps in time skip
    4. I cant explain my point in words but they are different

AliceShiki likes this.
  14. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Also any examples of novels for this tag?

15. Ddraig

Reading List:
    Link

AliceShiki likes this.
  16. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmmmmmmm, at one hand, I think it still classifies as a time skip.

On another, I think it is a very extreme and particular case of time skip, which might deserve its own tag.

... I'm not against it, I think it is specific enough to deserve its own tag.
    Shuumatsu lalalalalala (Hard to remember the whole name, commonly mentioned as sukasuka).

Ddraig likes this.
  17. Ddraig

Reading List:
    Link
    Another point, the tag i am suggesting is the most major plot point and has the whole concept revolving around it or is a super cool ark transition point. On other hand, a timeskip is nothing more than an ark transition which is just a placeholder to explain passage of time as author did not want to write about that time period. It doesn't have major impact difference compared to an alt version of the novel where the author did not skip and explained throughout.

18. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I'm ok with it.Now for a name for it:hmm::hmm::hmm:

19. Shield Loyalist

Shield Loyalist 『Instinctive』『Determined』『Status: Coding in Uni』

Reading List:
    Link
    Cryostasis

20. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    It works~

Though we still need Runsing or Ladyvil's view on it.