Discussion Cliches

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by qzty, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Slimikyi

Slimikyi ^____^

Reading List:
    Link
    Dislike:
    "Forced Plot" - As in, if any other person was in that character's place, they would not have done what that character did. Or if any other author/writer wrote that part of the plot, they would not have wrote it that way. Example: All of Gundam Seed Destiny (minus Lacus, I don't know). Or in "The Gamer", the protagonist knows the adding Wisdom would make him smarter and he's an idiot. But he believes that he doesn't need it and only add Intelligence. It's less of an exact cliche but more like when you read/see a certain plot, you ask yourself "why the **** would anyone do that?"

"Lazy Writing/Author" - As in, certain things happen in the novel but the author brushed over it or purposely avoided it for various reasons. Example: Say your girlfriend got murdered or killed, but the author decided to skip over the mourning part or thinking about revenge part. The author simply continued with whatever s/he planned with the "bigger plot".

Or the author completely trying to avoid certain aspects of the novel but giving really bad excuses. Like in certain Chinese novels, the male protagonist needs to "focus" on his "career" so he doesn't think about relationships. He says that when he's just weak and starting. And he says it again after 600 chapters when he's the head of a faction. Or when the author only writes within a narrow scope and builds the protagonist as s/he sees fit without really going into the details of other things. And when s/he does that, s/he will just make up really lame excuses like "so-and-so took care of it". Or when they list items/equipments, they literally just put "..." or "etc".

Like:
    Nani?! - Yup, the wtf moment when the OP character shows up and kicks ass. This is the same as "that's impossible" type of scenarios. It's overused but it's still very satisfying.

Poor_Hero likes this.
  2. Stealth

Stealth Elegant Lady

Reading List:
    Link
    dislike: their very hard skull

3. erichninja

erichninja Don’t think about it

Reading List:
    Link
    Someone talking about someone behind their back. That person sneeze the next second.

4. tiffyisland

tiffyisland Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    like: witty characters
    dislike: clumsy

5. Handa-kun

Handa-kun Partial Nudity and Suggestive Themes

Reading List:
    Link
    10/10 Yes.

Poor_Hero likes this.
  6. Yuuko-kun

Yuuko-kun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dislike: too much ecchi, dumb mc, wimpy mc, tsunderes, repetitive situations/arcs, mc who can persuade his/her enemy to change his way of life or switch to the mc's side

Like: Another world, smart mc, villain mc, sit-coms, weak to strong, good story line, mc with common sense, mc who doesn't stray off his/her goal.

Poor_Hero likes this.
  7. KUROz

KUROz Whatevs~

Reading List:
    Link
    but why? The novels he makes are decent

Poor_Hero likes this.
  8. Handa-kun

Handa-kun Partial Nudity and Suggestive Themes

Reading List:
    Link
    Mainly from the way he wrote MC development and storyline. Stories where MC having multiple plot armors are common, but this guy delivered them so badly and not enjoyable for me. My worst case is SAO, mc is a beatard - tolerable, mc suddenly realized he has fastest reaction time so he can dual wield - tolerable, mc can access console to save as AI into his account - tolerable, you see how i'm being tolerable this far? But when this guy breaking his own rule of the death game for his mc and heroine NOT DEAD/CRIPPLED after killed by mad admin, i stopped there.

Next game is worse, i can only stand straight only until mc gets rare pretty boy avatar. When mc has inherited stats and starting cut bullet into two with light saber, well fuck, i'm out. Although people saying mother rosario arc is best work, but is it really? It's just story where one of the heroine has fatal disease and decided to play game until she dropped dead before giving asuna her legacy. Can't understand why all the hype when story about someone dying is quite common out there.

Meanwhile Accel World is easier to dislike, because mc is literally a short midget pig who is a grind master in social network game then suddenly his avatar transform into silver ranger with wings.

Poor_Hero likes this.
  9. KUROz

KUROz Whatevs~

Reading List:
    Link
    that was harsh....

Poor_Hero and Gadget like this.
  10. Slimikyi

Slimikyi ^____^

Reading List:
    Link
    The one where the MC needs to go save his love interest but he's too weak. So what does he do? He goes and train/cultivate for a long time to be strong enough to save his love interest. And miraculously, his love interest is nice and dandy.

Seriously, I hate that cliche. The novel usually uses 10,000 years or more to be a "decent" cultivation period. So, 1000 years or even 100 years is considered really short. And the MC will obviously only take 100-1000 years or something. But, let's actually think about what a person can do in 100 years if they aren't locked up cultivating or being brain dead (let's just not think about the 1000 years for now). How about going to the brothel once a month? That's 1200 times. Now turn it to his love interest. Or how about just being a villain, sadistic and go torture some prisoners every month? Or maybe just got bored after 10 years of waiting for the MC to come but he's not coming and so, the villain just kills her off?

That cliche is just god damn awful. Everything is miraculous in a stagnant position just waiting for MC to return. A couple days, or even weeks are fine. But years?! "Yup, MC is going to cultivate, so as a villain I must put everything on hold and just sit here and wait till he's done."

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  11. saaas

saaas Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    dislike:
    1. male mc do nothing but playing house with (little) girls,
    2. said (little) girls on book covers on pointlessly exposing uniforms (why sailor uniform without midriff but kinky lederhosen peeking out or shirt with collar but chest cut-off?),
    3. above-mentioned girls keep pointing their asses to us (with/out panties) as much as possible (it's very rude).

Poor_Hero likes this.
  12. NeaxD

NeaxD Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dislike harems because why is it the main character usually a guy gets to have as many females as he wants but the females also cannot have as many males as they want? it should be a two way street like love not worship the only sausage in the relationship. This happens in both WN and LN. Chinese or Japanese. God damn harems make no sense and dont scream NTR because if the girl lets the dude get as much as he wants. she should also be allow to get as much she wants.
    Edit: I read harems but I do not understand it.
    edit2: Wish fulfillment is the worse way to write a novel but sadly a lot of harem writers that is all they do which in turn makes the story plain, dull, boring, and frankly a shitty story most of the time. It creates way too many Mary sues or GaryStu MC that are lame.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    Poor_Hero likes this.