Question [CN]Correct Pronunciation

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by DCLXVII, Apr 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DCLXVII

DCLXVII 『Team Deathmatch』『Desu_Tronic』『RMJI True Fan #1』

Reading List:
    Link
    1]How do I pronounce Wu Yuce ? (The King's Avatar)
    Is it yoo-si or yoo-se ?

2] How do I pronounce Xun'er ? (Battle Through the Heavens)
    As far as I know 'er is supposed to be like "-chan".

3]How does one qualify to be called "-er" ?
    I see some female characters always followed it "-er" while some are not.
    Eg : Yu Er Princess from Battle Through the Heavens.

4] What is correct pronunciation for "Xiao" ? (Against the Gods and Battle Through the Heavens)
    Does the pronunciation change when it is used as surname ?

5] How does the pronounciation of Zhang Ye change ? (I'm Really a Superstar)
    Eg : Zhang Ye and Zhāng Yě

EDIT : If you have a genuine question like me (something I missed :p), PM me and I will add it to this thread.

P.S : Not expecting much, if there are no replies I will turn to reddit where translators are active or spam individual discord channels :D

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    DubZer0 likes this.
  2. blee8

blee8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. ZhangYeNumberOneFan

ZhangYeNumberOneFan Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1) go to yellow bridge. . com and type in the actual chinese words. Ce is a special case where non chinese speakers will never quite get it right. Now that i think about it, i don't even know how to get a sound reasonably close to it with english letters.

2. Er can be part of a name, in which case the part about intimacy doesn't apply. I.e. calling btth's xiao xun er by her name, xun er doesn't mean anything because it's her name. On the other hand, calling btth mc yan'er (full name xiao yan) imllies that you are very close to him. Generally only used by parents to kids or between lovers. That second part is only when guys talk to girls tho, girls tend to call the guy big brother.

4. Licras

Licras Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As far as -er ('er) goes, I believe it depends on character perspective/who is speaking. Like you mentioned, it's similar to a Japanese honorific. -er is usually an endearing way of referring to somebody close to you, typically younger as well (but not necessarily). It is more often used when referring to a female, but I do believe it is used for younger males in rare cases? Otherwise, it can just be straight up assigned as part of a name, such as Li Ling'er from I Shall Seal the Heavens

5. ZhangYeNumberOneFan

Reading List:
    Link
    P.s. any pronunciation questions you have, we really will not be able to do it justice with any western alphabet. The sounds involved can't be dound anywhere else, so you'll have to look at online chinese dictionaries like yellow bridge. Bing and google translate are american; they don't count for shit.

4. I can take a stab at it. The xi part is almost exactly the same as the word she in English, the ao is lime when you say ow, that hurts. I guess you can try to say it veey quickly.

6. ZhangYeNumberOneFan

Reading List:
    Link
    Last question: i'd have to see the actual chinese words to tell you. Assuming you know about tones, unless both zhang and ye are 4th tone and they come one after another, their pronunciation never changes. What you see is what you get. So if you popped it in google translate and it told you the pinyin is Zhāng Yě, that's what it would be. fourth tone looks like this \ instead of the -- on zhang.

7. Sproutling

Sproutling We are the Sproutlings

Reading List:
    Link
    3. ér sometimes attached to name and used by older person to younger.

4. Xiāo, no it doesn't change when it used for surname.

5. Mc name is Zhāng Yè

8. Chocol8

Chocol8 [Chocolate Sect Founder] [Chocolate Lover]

Reading List:
    Link
    IIRC correctly, there 4 tones in chinese. The flat line, the downward slash, the upward slash and the curve.

Zhāng Yě - this one contains a flat line and a curve..
    ér - This one has the upward slash, while Yè has the downward slash.

basically the flat line has to be pronounce monotonously in a sense, the downward slash requires a strong one like you are cutting something. I do this by making a slashing motion with my head lol.. the upward one is like making your voice rise up, so I make a rising motion with my mouth when doing it Lol.. then the curve is pronounce by making a curve. tone goes down then back up.

That is how I understood it then lol.

9. blee8

blee8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its better to listen. Heres a guide to the tones

10. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    put the original name on google translate and listen audio ver~
    quite helpful just need effort to search it~