Request Cola chicken wings

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Snowbun, May 7, 2021.

1. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    Here's a quick copypaste of something that happened last week:

Random story time~
    I forgot to fill my water bottle when I went to school in the morning for an extra help session. So I decided to buy a water bottle at one of the vending machines... But it was so confusing!!!
    I ended up pressing the wrong button and I got a Dr.Pepper ;A; ) I don't even drink soda (except for ginger ale occasionally - less than twice a month).
    =3=); Anyway, I had to carry that thing back home in my tote bag. Then Mr. Snowy (husband) decided it was a waste not to try it so he made a drink with it... something with cherry and bourbon iirc

I took a sip and some weird stuff was floating on it... So I asked him if the mix was supposed to be sifted.
    He said "Yeah, but I thought it would be a waste of cherry pulp."

Excuse meeee, I didn't want a murky cocktail haaaah
    I ended up drinking it while chewing... then I looked at his glass... and all the cherry skin/pulp was at the bottom!! >:C he let his drink decant before!!! Angry bun wife!!!

Anyway, I have half a bottle of dr. Pepper in the fridge now and I was wondering if it's possible to try to use it for the famous Cola chicken wings that appear every now and then in CN novels where the MC miraculously can make 4 side dishes (including dumplings!!), salad, rice and soup in 1 hour (with no meal prep??? I don't believe in it!!!).

I was thinking about trying this recipe here but if any nuffian out there has a better recipe or some tips, I would appreciate it~

Btw, I keep a blog post with recipe links, in case anyone would like to exchange ideas there too.

SylviaViolet, Reack and Anra7777 like this.
  2. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    *waits for the experts to arrive so that I can eye the incoming food pics in peace*

Reack and Snowbun like this.
  3. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    *pats the angry bun* Cola chicken wings sounds tasty... *clicks link* That looks a little too adventurous for the scaredy-hamster...

Reack and Snowbun like this.
  4. LWolf

LWolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not an expert... I've only made them once following a simple recipe online... but from what I know it can (theoretically) be made with any cola-flavored soda (like pepsi), supposedly the "proper" taste can only be achieved with coke

Snowbun likes this.
  5. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll try to post some pics if it ends up looking good! :blobpeek: no guarantees...

I saw some recipes that par-boil the chicken and just let it simmer in the sauce/glaze until it thickens but I got the impression that pan-frying it before will make the texture better... That's why I thought about asking in the forum before making it

I was thinking about skipping some of the spices (cinnamon, star anise, etc) in the braising liquid and only using ginger as an aromatic since dr. Pepper is heavier flavoured than coke. :hmm: tbh, I never had cola chicken wings so I'm not sure what's the flavour profile... in my head, it should be something close to buta kakuni?

Anra7777 and Bad Storm like this.
  6. Melodious Nocturne

Melodious Nocturne [Dance, water, dance!] [My name is Demyx!]

Reading List:
    Link
    *waits patiently for results* ( ^ω^ )

Snowbun likes this.
  7. Little Potato

Little Potato Sexiest Potato Alive [SpaceBar's Master]

Reading List:
    Link
    Ohhh i made coca cola wings before and I used this recipe on youtube to do it

I think even without all the aromatics, it would still taste fine, kinda like soy sauce chicken but sweeter. blobmelt_thumbs

I also like to make the sauce thicker by adding cornflour mixed with water :blobpeek::blobpeek:

We dont have dr pepper here but if it's the same flavor profile, it should be fine. I've seen people use sprite instead of water to make water pie and they still turned out fine so i'm assuming it would be the same case for the chicken.

Snowbun likes this.
  8. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, I was wondering if I should start from a simpler recipe like that... I also watched a video that made it in the rice cooker, just tossing all the ingredients in! So easy! :blobpats::blobpats:

Then right after that, I saw this video:

Blanching, quick marinade, pan-fry, braise and then thickening the sauce with starch... I wonder if it's worth the trouble... :blobthinkingsmirk:

9. SylviaViolet

SylviaViolet Toast to the ones that we lost on the way⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    The recipe seems fine but personally I'm not a fan of orange peel so I'd probably replace that with a few squeezes of lemon or maybe some lemon zest.

Also, add some chilli to it based on how much heat you are accustomed to.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    Snowbun likes this.
  10. Togepi

Togepi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    pri....
    *cries for the chickens*

Snowbun likes this.
  11. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I was thinking of skipping the orange zest too. :blobtaco: Yes, chilli oil! I just made a small batch 2 days ago for dumplings! Thanks for the tips!

:blob_patpat: *pats* Hmm...I'll make sure to add some vegetarian dishes too? >A>);

Should I go all out and do grocery shopping/meal prep for 4 dishes and soup??
    I wonder where the 4+1 came from, I'm pretty sure in Japan it's 一汁三菜 (ichijusansai) so 1+3? :hmm: Unless you're counting the pickles too?

12. Bobasis

Bobasis Weeeeee

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ve actually wanted to try soda meat for a while it seems so interesting. I’ve seen cola steak and sprite chicken .

Snowbun likes this.
  13. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    Update on the cola wings journey: I gave up on the wings. :blobsweat_2:
    But I'll still try the cooking method!!!

I went to the grocery store earlier today and a family pack of chicken leg quarters was 3.99 for 10lbs! **10lbs!**
    The chicken wings were 9.99 for 5lbs...

So my cheapo housewife instincts kicked in and now I'm defrosting a whole pack of chicken legs to marinate for a tray of roast chicken tomorrow and I'll choose the smaller ones to make cola chicken legs for dinner tonight :blobwink:

otaku31 and OnceandFutureLurker like this.
  14. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobpats::blobpats::blobpats: Here you go, I made it~

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But I won't make it again because... I just don't keep cola in my fridge. :blobsweat_2::blobsweat_2:

15. Deleted member 300842

Deleted member 300842 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    It looks nice you:blobdrool: seem to be a very good cook:blobsmilehappy::blobsmilehappyeyes:

OnceandFutureLurker and Snowbun like this.
  16. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks! Hehehe...half of that is stuff I made before in the morning so I only had to cook the chicken...:blobpeek:

I make a whole pot of brown rice at the beginning of the week and freeze pre-measured portions for later.
    The miso soup is also a homemade mix that I freeze in small balls. I only need to add boiling water when it's time for the meal.
    The simple salt cucumber pickles and the veggie pancakes were made after lunch with some leftovers from the fridge.
    Pan-fried dumplings were folded after breakfast with the leftover filling from gyozas I made 2 days ago.

17. Deleted member 300842

Reading List:
    Link
    wow good job I can never cook I always end food poisoning my brother lol I'm so bad at cooking :blob_teary:

OnceandFutureLurker and Snowbun like this.
  18. Snowbun

Snowbun

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't give up! :blobhero: When I was younger I used to burn and overcook a lot of stuff...

Most of the time, you just need some practice and organization!

You can start with something very simple like a baked snack, just to get used to prepping your ingredients and kitchen space.
    When I'm trying something new, I always have everything measured and checked twice before starting. A kitchen scale, several small bowls, timer and thermometer always help with getting things right!
    Watching cooking videos also helps to get the hang of what timing you need to get stuff out of the heat or how the texture of certain things should look like.

But most important, enjoying eating yummy stuff is always the main reason why I dedicate so much of my time towards cooking :blobxd:
    So tasting all the time is key to achieving the flavour you're aiming for! :blobokhand:

19. Deleted member 300842

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you i will try my best :blobsmilehappyeyes:

Snowbun and OnceandFutureLurker like this.
  20. Togepi

Togepi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    pri....
    *noms chicken legs to wash away sadness*

Snowbun likes this.