Question Cultivation chat group / A***ole MC ?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Zanzatora, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Zanzatora

Zanzatora Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello,

Some time ago I was recommanded "Cultivation chat group" as being a funny and humouristic xanxia style novel.
    I'm around chapter 60+ now, but so far, besides an original setting and story, it hasn't been particularly humouristic or funny (I think I laughed once, and smiled twice ?). So my first question would be : does it get better ?

Second question has to do with MC. I really hate the as*hole brainless basic cultivator MC who step on people for fun. Despite the auther claiming high and low the MC is "a nice guy" (ptui!) the first chance he got that MC beat the crap of some thugs, enjoying it. Then he broke the teeth of some poor mortal, threatened the guy, then put the blame on someone else. Typical zero-morality behavior.
    So my second question is : does the MC actually becomes the stereotyped dumb as*hole cultivator who kills people for every breath and so on (you see what I mean) ?

Btw, when I read the author describe the englishman teacher eating his own dog, I started to get suspicious of author's morality... T_T

Thanks for your help, and I apologize if you like this style-novel and feel hurt by my words. We simply like different things, and I respect your preferences despite desagreeing with them ^^;. It's just writing, thank god.

Anra7777 likes this.
  2. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's normal to see an arrogant, asshole MC in CN works that relates to this genre.

Btw, eating dogs is normal in China. It's true. It's not a question of morality anymore, but of culture.

3. bear

bear Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think he has killed up to now (current translated chapter), maybe some bad guys.

4. Reyrey

Reyrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Stop prejudiced and read it with empty mind mans. Your thought are social construct that are barring you from enjoying it

seabuckthorn and Gihn like this.
  5. Koslov

Koslov Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    MC hasn't killed anyone who wasn't a monster or a demon cultivator, and the latter pretty much only once by my memory. The guys you're talking about were jerks anyway. Saying it's "zero morality" to beat up people is dumb.

6. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    It has funny moments? I tried reading it and fell asleep, so either I didn't get up to the funny moments or it isn't my kind of comedy : /

Akira Ryuji likes this.
  7. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
    please put "Sauce(chapter)" of the scene you claim MC done!

8. Silverasterisk

Silverasterisk [Wallflower] [Drive by poster]

Reading List:
    Link
    He s been pretty decent so far. He's just not an unrealistic Mary Sue or so they're called. He 'll fight back if you try to hurt him or someone with him but generally avoids conflict. He's not out to save the world, just to live his life.

9. valzione

valzione Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I remember, he hasn't actually killed anyone, nor does he beat everyone at least intentionally, unless they are villains

seabuckthorn likes this.
  10. kuroAnsatsu

kuroAnsatsu Realistically Stoic

Reading List:
    Link
    What chap? Maybe I forgot, but I don't remember him killed anyone or acting like a scumbag like that

seabuckthorn likes this.
  11. Silverasterisk

Silverasterisk [Wallflower] [Drive by poster]

Reading List:
    Link
    The humor is often more subtle in this series. It has a nearly constant air of ridiculousness along with the funny points that keep you amused through out with the occasional open laugh.

If you want something more direct try konosuba.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2018
    xxdjynxx and Tsukkin like this.
  12. Waaazzap

Waaazzap Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    He was trying to help Su clan's Seven when he beat up the thugs, and the 'poor mortal' sold information on him to people trying to kill him. Him calling Shuhang a skumbag is pretty inaccurate in my opinion.

seabuckthorn likes this.
  13. tef0

tef0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m pretty sure he didn’t eat the dog.

Although I haven’t read this novel in a while

14. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Reading the raws before they even did a translation for NU, so far Song Shu Hang aka MC of CCG isn't like the typical xianxia MC who kills left right up down and centre, he also seems to not have a bunch of beauties who wants to be in his harem, not that SH wants it. As far as I recall, SH in the beginning had beaten up a bunch of normies cuz IIRC they are street gangsters who tried to rough him up cuz he has the good guy face = good to bully aura? He rarely kills, and most of his kills are actually assisted by a bunch of big shots using his body like game character or outlet for their power, either that or he kills a bunch of mobs and stuff.

Also the dog eating part from the teacher is mostly because of Dou Dou who acted like a small normal dog and scared the crap out of the teacher's big dog, causing the said dog to bite the teacher iirc... yeah, dog and cat eating is normal in China.

15. kuroAnsatsu

kuroAnsatsu Realistically Stoic

Reading List:
    Link
    So what he mean with poor mortal is the thugs? I thought he mean beating up an innocent people

16. Nino Sasou

Nino Sasou 『 ******** 』『 On Paid Leave』

Reading List:
    Link
    It's Su clan's sixteen. When she kabedon-ed by thugs. He trying to save damsel in distress and train his martial arts later.

17. Inuzuka

Inuzuka Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What's with all the people claiming Song Shuhang doesn't kill? He killed Alter Master and several of his subordinates, as well as several members of the limitless demon sect.

Akira Ryuji and Anra7777 like this.
  18. Zanzatora

Zanzatora Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I know morals are twisted in china, in particular when it comes to animal. But many CN authors don't actually write about it, contrary to the author of that novel. That shows, the author is intent on his view and writing about them (which lack morals in my opinion).
    The dog thing would be just 1 symptom of the typical CN heartless moraless stories.

Btw, breaking the guy's teeth who sold his information was morally overkill. The guy had already pissed his pants, there was no need to be so merciless, in particular to physical violence.

What saddens me is the author trying to describe us a "nice guy MC" but the mc's action going the opposite way, maybe that's why it was particularly surprising for me.

The act of killing itself is somewhat inevitable in Xanxia I suppose. What I questionned was more of the general morality behind the MC's actions.

Anyways, thanks for your answers ^^;

Anra7777 likes this.
  19. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    nothing wrong with eating dogs.

alot of people eat dogs outside of china.
    Switzerland for example eat dogs, south korea eat dogs
    poland eat dogs too
    i think russia eat dogs too.

anyway china is one of the most famous places that eat dogs is because IIRC china promoted eating dogs because the dogs were becoming a problem. the stray and wild dogs were going around attacking people, killing children and adults. eating them. yes. the dogs ate children.

20. autumnscarf

autumnscarf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    CCG takes a while to get going. The first 60 chapters aren't that great... I'd say it really starts getting funny once Senior Bai and the demon dog get introduced.

SSH is an average guy with the sort of decent standard of morality you'd expect from someone raised in a decent modern household, with the addition of understanding that cultivating is entering a dog-eat-dog universe. Which the chat group expressly warns him about (being prepared to do what it takes to protect yourself and the people important to you). SSH does some stuff that would be considered immoral but he generally isn't the one starting the fight... just the one ending it.

SSH is willing to help people he doesn't know, which generally makes him morally better than a lot of CN protagonists. That's what the author means by calling SSH a 'good guy'-- basically that SSH doesn't mind agreeing when people ask him for help or will get involved if he thinks someone is in undeserved danger.