Novel Curse from God, Live a Thousand Lives: Second Life

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by Link_0021, Mar 19, 2017.

1. imsodone

imsodone 『Creep』

Reading List:
    Link
    Did the mutation already happened? (him loosing interest to women and maybe starting to have interest to men lol)

2. Link_0021

Link_0021 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah... think of it like what happened to Lucy, a hollywood movie staring Scarlett Johansson... where she lost her emotions and become extremely intelligent...

3. Link_0021

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 7
    [AN: in this past week, I edit the other chapters in RoyalRoad and WordPress to correct some grammatical errors and I include this section (AN) to communicate with you. So it took me up 1 week to give you an update, but here it is. Enjoy! Don’t worry, those changes won’t affect anything, and I will simply include it in AN section.]

[AN: I didn’t know that, it is very hard to write a chapter, until it hit me. I salute those writers.]

[AN: My naming sense is poor, I simply write down the character’s name of what comes up. I try using name generator, but my naming sense is still better. :p]

[AN: Okay, I am trying to limit the number of words to make short yet wholesome chapters as not to tire you, considering you have a lot of chapters you’re reading and things you have to do, and by doing so, you can keep up with everything in this novel. But this chapter has quite a number of words in it (2,850+), yes it’s a lot. I might have used many unnecessary sentences/elements in this chapter, so I want you to forgive me. It is because this chapter combined the 3 chapters which I scrapped to make this chapter.

[AN: This chapter will tell you about the MC.]

[AN: Expect 2-3 chapter release every weak, however, there might be a chance that I need to review those ready release chapters, so I might put it on hold for a few more days.]
    CHAPTER 7
    (The ignorance of being indifference)

An hour later after that incident, Luke is currently walking until he arrives in front of a manor – a single three storey gothic structure surrounded by 2 meter iron fence. It was the residence of Fergara. Apparently, similar structures are lined in both sides of the street all across the neighbourhood which only shows how prosperous the people living in this city under the rule of their king, such was the rich district in the north section of the city. It has walls that separate it from the commoner’s district in its north and west section and the noble’s district in its south, and in the east is a vast lake – the Lake Eldryne. and covers the eastern most part of the city.

When he approached the front gate, a male servant hurriedly went to open it for him.

“How’s your day? You’re just in time Mr. Fergara is looking for you. He’s waiting in his office. Oh… I’ll help you with that.” – The servant said and took the package from him.

“Well thank you Mr. Poncho. Everything is fine on my end, somehow.”

He didn’t want to talk what happened earlier, so he headed towards the house.

Wherever he went, he always received a lot of favourable impression from various people for being polite and adorable child, especially with older women. They simply gave him a lot of attention, for whatever things he does even the smallest of things, he gets praise for it. It is not far from being spoiled by those people.

They went to the main door of the house and straight into the office.

He stopped in front of the door and the servant swiftly went in front of him and then knocked three times.

“Come in!” – Shouted by a man inside the room.

And the servant opened the door, he thanked the servant in return and the servant gently bowed. Although, the servant hand is full as he is holding the package, that it will be seen as somewhat rude of him for letting the servant to open it for the two of them, it is simply the servant’s job albeit having similar status.

There, they found Fergara comfortably sitting in his elegant looking chair.

When Fergara took him under his care, it was made clear among the servants that he will be treated with utmost care and attention like a young master of this house, when he heard it along with the servants, he told Fergara that it should be fine if he will be treated like the rest of them. But Fergara simply taps his shoulder and told him that he’s not ‘one of them’ but rather an apprentice.

Long after that, the servants took great care of him not because they were ordered but because they had simply grown fond of him and they loved him as he is such an adorable child.

When he was still an infant, it was Fergara who bought him the medicine to cure his sickness. Then, Fergara took him in this city and taught him many things. For this he should be grateful and the people had thought so, for a man who had no apparent heir as he remains single to this day, took pity to an orphan, raise the boy like one of his own. And the child will forever be grateful to his foster parent for giving him/her the shelter, care and love; however, he is no mere child and he is not grateful to him either.

He understands that everything Fergara had shown is just a façade. At first, he was taken by the kindness Fergara had shown him, and he was grateful. However, when it was revealed to him the truth about his parents, he started to doubt this man. A man who knows his parents and took him under his care has positive merits if only his grandfather was not a duke and the man is not some merchant. Of course he shouldn’t judge the man, but if the man starts telling him stories which is unfavourable towards his family, then there’s a reason for his doubt.

He is indebted to him, but he is not grateful and he’ll never be. Although, being indebted doesn’t mean he can’t leave – he can and he will. Especially, if Fergara will demand something that will inhibit his freedom, thinking of the rights the people in his previous world had, he will leave him without a second thought. And so far, Fergara has been very good towards him.

“Ah…! There you are my boy! I’ve been waiting for you all day. Ah… Let me see that, come, come.”

The servant brought to him the package and Fergara excitedly opens it. He had known that Fergara is an aficionado of fashion and everything about luxury as he indulges himself in every aspect of extravagance that he spends most of his money in expensive things, especially wines and clothes.

He dresses himself like nobles and always on the lookout for new trend in fashion. And in front of many people he will flaunts his fat belly that the dress will almost rip open and reveal all of his fats that he accumulated over the past years.

“Ah… There it is. Beautiful, it’s exactly the way I like. What took you so long, my boy?” – He said as he carefully check the dress

“Ah… I got into a little bit of trouble but it is fine.”

“Hoh… What kind of trouble a smart fellow like you will get into?”

“Mmm… I happen to bump into some noble.”

“You bump into some nobles? Ha! And they make it such a big deal, isn’t it? Those nasty nobles are really heartless and troublesome! If it’s me, I will show them not to mess up with me. You heard that? I am going to show them who’s who and who’s not to be messed with. Hahaha!” – He bragged

Luke didn’t feel to respond. He had absolute understanding of Fergara’s personality: ambitious who wants everything for himself, a fraud who’ll cheat even his granny, a covetous when it comes to money, and a coward that he won’t hesitate to abandon his comrade.

“Are you hungry? Here…”

Fergara handed him a small elegant looking silver box.

“This… was imported from the other side of the world, they call it brown sweet. Come, go on and take it.”

He accepted it.

“Try it. Don’t be shy.”

He opened the box and saw the treats inside. He took a small piece and ate it.

Chocolate…

“Do you like it?”

He nodded.

“Then have some more, come on. You can take everything.”

Without reservations, he took a handful and put it on his small shoulder bag or incites Fergara’s persistent personality which will end having the same conclusion – him taking the chocolate. Seeing him like this, Fergara is all smiles.

“Now, head to your room and study these books.” – Fergara said as he gently pushed three books stacked together in the table towards Luke.

He looked at the book and read its title – Book in Arithmetic, Philosophical Approach and The Adventure of Almegr.

He was disappointed. Over these years, Fergara is providing him books for him to study, but he didn’t need all of it as the knowledge contain in those books can never be compared to what he learned back in Earth. The only books he would love to spend his time in reading and studying are books relating to magic. Books are expensive, as these books are being manually produced by scholars. It is because there are no means to speed up the production of these books. And magic books are produced in small quantity as it is made by individuals who are known as scribers, a specialize job mainly for creating mystic scrolls and grimoire.

Though, Fergara professed his plan to teach him regarding magic when he reach the age of 9, as it is widely expected that a child’s talent for magic will become apparent when he/she reach the age of 10-12, but of course some had shown to have manifested their ability to wield magic when they reach the age of 9, but these are the young geniuses from a well-known family.

When he’s 5 years old, he already is capable of wielding this mysterious force and now he is looking forward to properly learn real spells; nevertheless, he can’t do anything about it but to simply wait, as he is considered underage.

One time, he considered revealing his talent, if he did then perhaps he will be regarded as someone special, then someone will get him into their entourage and received backing from this person to learn wizardry. However, there is the possibility that he will put his life at risk; such as, being regarded as different, and being different has certain amount of danger it carries. Carelessness will only bring disaster, so he’ll simply wait; afterall, he will only have to wait for another year.

“Yes Mr. Fergara and thank you.”

Though, he knows his façade, he feign ignorant about it. Afterall, he needs this man to find Ella and learn magic.

Fergara watch him and can’t help but feel satisfied over himself. He spent 4 years in making this child under the influence of his manipulation. He had been very careful not to arouse this child suspicion, he already reach the conclusion that this child is extraordinary even extraordinary than the other geniuses of this generation – a true protégé.

This child had shown capable of handling task even adult find it hard – managing documents, auditing and putting it into account.

At first, he simply wants to teach him but when he exposed him to business, he discovered that he’s more than capable than him, that he proposed various new ideas which are helpful in running his company and his profit increased. The other merchants inquired about the secret of his success, in which he is being boastful in his answers saying it is simply his ‘luck’ and ‘skills’.

He let him manage a part of his business to Luke and this boy discovered the irregularities regarding his business – he’s engaged in small time smuggling and he’s not properly paying his tax or not paying at all. In which he feign ignorance over this matter and blames his subordinates. After that, he paid his tax appropriately and lessened his black trade, afterall, he is profiting more than ever and benefited a lot in engaging legally, so he’s fairly satisfied.

Nevertheless, he is also risking of being discovered by this boy, for letting him learn many things. At first he thought it was necessary as it will gain the attention of his grandfather. However, as the time pass, he is feeling the pressure. And if the plan fails, then, he will surely meet his doom as the syndicate will have his head served on the plate. He can’t let it happen; he must do something about it. He must send this boy to the chief as soon as possible and be free of burden.

He noticed that Luke took something from his chest. Upon seeing it, his eyebrow twitched but quickly suppressed his irritation.

“Is that another letter?” – Fergara asked

Luke nodded in response and handed the letter to Fergara.

“This should be the last one, you get me?” – Fergara said, a hand holding the letter is pointing towards Luke making an emphasis.

He nodded once again like an obedient child he is.

“Haiz… I will forgive you, but no more letters next time. You already sent five letters this month alone, when you know how much it cost. Look, I want you to stop worrying about that girl. She’s in good condition and is very diligent in her work. How do you expect her to make a reply when she’s working day and night? I know what you feel, I was like you before. However, you must know that she is doing it for you and you must endure it. I had promise to bring you to her, yes? So I want you to wait for that time, when the time’s right. Hm.”

There is always a time when Luke is thinking about Ella.

Although he is considered a genius among genius, he is still not capable of knowing everything. He doesn’t have any idea that the orphanage is engage in selling children, that the orphanage is working with the syndicate, that the orphanage sold Ella, and she is suffering for years.

If he learns of this, then probably he’ll be angered and for a person who didn’t feel any strong feeling of emotions, it is a foreign feeling. In these past years, his personality drastically changed, his emotions are suppressed or it is not far from being devoid of emotions.

Four years ago, his brain development threatens his consciousness, his very existence – as a human who came from Earth. It is like, deleting data to make room for new, erasing the current him to create new persona. He noticed that every year that pass, his personality changed.

I seem to have changed. I am not the same person that I used to before. My emotion does not get into me, as though, I am in complete control of everything. Although, I should be glad that I do not have the qualities of a loser anymore, I am afraid of what will become of me – will I become another person? And if I do, I have a feeling that I will become somewhat different. All I have left is my memory from my previous life and I feel that my old self is gradually fading.

Then, he comes into a realization: he may exist or alive again but what will happen if he loses his personality, is he him or just another person that thinks it’s him?

No… this can’t be happening. I don’t want to lose myself, and if I did, then I won’t be grateful I was given a second life. Or is this supposed to happen? When I think about it, there are a lot of mysteries of my reincarnation. The question why I was reincarnated is still left unanswered. Or do people reincarnate? But for a people to reincarnate with their old memories will have drastic change to history, it’s like when a reincarnated mechanical engineer builds the first car or if Thomas Edison reincarnated then surely he will establish an electric company.

Then, there is one answer to his question.

Am I really the only reincarnated person in this world?

But losing my self is a bad thing, is it? I must do something about it. But what should I do? Should I just accept as it is? But for a person, emotions are what really make us human. It gives birth to sympathy, desire, hopes, dreams etc. which in turns will make us (human) know who they are – as a person that has its own personality to be recognized. If I lose it, then, who am I? And what is my purpose?

Then another idea pops up – Memory.

Ah! My memories from my previous life, if I can keep it alive should my old self remain? Should all of my worries be solved? They said that memory is a powerful thing.

He then decided to put his hopes on his memories and relived his old self: ambitions, desires and lust. Then his brains’ rapid development slowed that he can keep up with it and managed to keep a very small part of his old self.

But the impact of this change to his personality is that, he became indifferent towards other matter. When he discovered that Fergara is engage in smuggling of goods and evading taxes, he overlooked it. And there was a time when he witnessed a slave being beaten to death in the street, where he felt no sympathetic feeling towards the slave as he simply walks away from the scene. It is understandable because, there is no way he could save the slave but to feel no compassion at all, it is strange – it is inhuman. However, it is different when it comes to Ella where he can be a caring person. He realized this long before and came up with a conclusion that, it is caused by his sentimental feelings he felt before that he was able to retain such feelings for her.

Is it love? No. He wasn’t infatuated to her nor he can feel love. It was one of the emotional states he lost.

Love, greed, pride, envy, etc. he felt little to such things except for one, ambition – his ambition to master magic. Like the feelings he felt towards Ella, his desire to learn magic deeply etched in his heart and mind, like an obsession.

“Now, let us have our lunch, my belly’s been grumbling that my pet inside my stomach are trying to eat my intestine. Hahahaha! Come. And I have a party to attend, this evening.” – Fergara said as he leads Luke by the shoulder to head outside.
    [AN: So how did you like it? Okay let us clarify some things here. A man who lost his emotions, well pretty similar to Tatsuya Shiba of The Irregular at Magic High School(Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei) and Lucy starring Scarlett Johansson. The cause of this is because he unlocked the potential of his brain, just like Lucy, but unlike her, his is when his brain received a massive influx of information and needed to expand, hence the result. But he suppressed it. Why? He is afraid of losing his self. Imagine a person devoid of any emotions – like Tatsuya Shiba, where he’s insensitive of the feelings of the others and I pity him (Well he’s a badass boss) and Lucy, if not for Morgan Freeman she wouldn’t have a purpose. Don’t worry guys, he was able to suppress it, he still had little emotion left in him, including lust. Yeah, remember he relived his memories, he wanted a harem remember however it is certainly weak.]

[AN: How do you think he did that? For his ambition for magic, he practiced magic. For his lust, well maybe, just maybe, he simulated those activities in his mind. So he couldn’t practice it so it was weak. And as the day passed by, he forgot it.]

[AN: I scrapped 3 chapters and created this one, so it had affected the progress of the story. I scrapped it because it contains explicit scene. I don’t want my female reader to feel disgusted *cough* of me. So in the next 3 chapters, it will be straight forward chapters.]

[AN: Why is it that he didn’t know anything about what they do in the orphanage? Well, as the chapter title suggest, he is ignorant for being indifferent. And after Ella left, she was brought to the capital by Fergara. And Fergara is being cautious of that matter, as he is aware of his capabilities.]

[AN: In every anime and movies the most powerful power or plot hole is the power of love, friendship and memory. Well let’s try to incorporate all of it in this novel not because to reach the greater height of power but, to change our MC.]

4. Link_0021

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 8
    CHAPTER 8

(Morning disturbance)​

After having lunch with Fergara, Luke went in his room by the second floor where he studied for 6 long hours. And when it is time for dinner, he asked the maids to bring him his dinner into his room since Fergara will have his dinner outside. After that, Luke starts working on the documents Fergara had left him, where he finished all of it in an hour or so and produced a detailed documented report.

It was now late in the evening, but Luke isn’t falling to sleep, instead, he tidied his study table, then, reached for a small rectangular wooden box hidden under his bed, he then took out the rolled parchments that were as thick as an arm.

He unrolled these parchments on the table and revealed the drawings and sketches of what looks like an apparatus of complex mechanism. He took one parchment which is unfinished and put aside the other.

With the parchment on the table, he closed his eyes and started visualizing the design drawn in it. In a split second, his eyes opened, a 3D version of it appeared in front of him and starts showing a series of movements. From a single gear followed by the next gear and the next until all the moving parts of the apparatus are all moving, rotating, doing repetitive movements, but then suddenly, it stopped. A problem occurred that stopped all the movements in the apparatus. The 3D was zoomed in which revealed some gears that are grouped was shown red as one of the smaller gears was clogged in between the other two bigger gears halting the actions of the rest.

He reached for his quill which was dipped in an ink bottle and start making a note to correct the design which he concluded during simulation, and later, he will redo the drawing plan. He repeats this step for a hundred times until he felt the urge to sleep.

In the next morning, the sound of metal clanking following the rhythm of someone walking and the commotion outside his room had waked him, and then, a loud bang from the door completely woke him that he got up from the bed.

A man in armour entered in his room which made him raise his guard up. This man is wearing fancy shiny armour with the bastard sword – a knight. From the look of things, it seems that this man forcibly made his way in his room.

“Are you Luke?” – The man casually said forgetting the fact that he just barge in and committed trespassing or perhaps he doesn’t know it. From his voice, Luke assumed that the man is considerably young and a serious type of a person.

“Yes I am, and what can I do for you?”

“Did I scare you? You looked tense.” - The man asked as he removed his helmet and tucked it under his arms, revealing his handsome looks.

“I am not, but the fact that you simply force your way here, I should be worried, right?”

“Then let me introduce myself, I am Lorrath Galanver, I serve the duke of Eludun, Duke Augustus Regis-Lenforth. And I am here because I was task to bring you to the duke.”

“And what is the intention of the duke? I don’t see why the duke required my presence.”

Not to mention that you have barge in this house. Is it something that important to act in such manner? – He thought

“I don’t know. I was simply ordered, so I must carry his command. It is my partner who knows of this matter, so you should ask him. He is downstairs negotiating with the owner.”

“And from the looks of things, the owner, Mr. Fergara never agreed to this kind of arrangement.” – Luke gaze swept upon the three maids outside the door who are restless.

“Whether he approved or not, you are coming with us. I will wait for you outside.”

Lorrath left him with no other choice but to comply, he knows that the power of a duke is absolute, second only to that of the king.

15 minutes later, Lorrath and Luke arrived in Fergara’s office and the first thing Luke saw was a man seating on Fergara’s chair. This man is wearing a flat hat with eye-catching snow feather, a velvet short-overgown worn over a blue high-collared doublet, a velvet tight pants and pointy shoes. He has pleasing features, a handsome young man who appears to be in his late 20s. However, having a long glossy-blond hair and beautiful face made him look more feminine.

Luke didn’t know this man, but he certainly remembers him the previous day, back in the clothing shop. He has good memory so he can’t be wrong.

“So, you’re the one they called Luke, am I correct? I am Audleigh of Nerbis. I am a baron working for the duke of Eludun, Duke Augustus Regis-Lenforth. And the man beside you is Ser Lorrath Galanver. We served the same lord.” – The man spoke by the name of Audleigh.

Luke took a glance in the corner next to Audleigh and saw Fergara whose face were brimming red as though hot water was poured directly on his face, he can clearly see that Fergara was greatly outraged by the man’s act of arrogance and self-importance. Then further, he saw another knight in his fancy looking armour holding the hilt of his bastard sword ready to strike any moment, but Lorrath’s armouring is much unique and beautiful when compared to this knight.

He looked at the man who spoke to him.

“Yes I am.”– He responded to Audleigh’s earlier question.

“Very good. I thought… you don’t know this… boy? Or… were you trying to… deceive me? ” – The voice and the manner he spoke those words was full of contempt as he glanced at Fergara.

“This is outrageous! You can’t simply barge in here and do whatever you want.” – Fergara’s scornful response to Audleigh as he tossed a piece of paper at him but Audleigh simply sneered at Fergara.

[AN: Try using accents whenever they’re having a conversation (whenever I read light novels (although Japanese) I used English/German/French accents even if I don’t get it right, it’s fun :p]

“You know who the consignee of this letter, yet you dare show disrespect? Good, good. First, you tried to deceive me, knowing that I work under the duke and by deceiving me you are directly deceiving the duke. Have you not consider my master’s words or does it carries no weight at all? Dishonesty and deceitfulness, such acts are punishable by death, without trial. Do you wish to die this instant?”

“Geh~ I didn’t mean to… but, you are being unreasonable. I simply wish to protect my right. As a citizen of this country, I have the right to protect my interest. Therefore, I will not hand the custody of this boy. I wish Duke Lenforth will respect it.”

“Certainly… Ser Lorrath, prepare our departure, ready the horses and the carriage.”

Audleigh gave an order to Lorrath and the latter complied. But just as Luke and Lorrath took a few steps towards the door as he was being led by the latter, Fergara once again burst in outrage.

“What is the meaning of this?! You cannot take the boy! I never approved of anything.”

Luke stop for a moment but Lorrath strongly led him outside.

“That is why I am still here to continue our negotiation.” – Audleigh

A few minutes later, the man spoke once again.

“I heard your business is thriving.” – He said as he put his hands together entwining his fingers while resting his back on the backrest of the chair, his legs crossed.

“Nonsense! We are not here to talk about my business.” – Fergara responded while slapping the table which shook the things on it.

“Of course it is. What I am asking you had something to do with your business.”

“If that is a threat that you’ll do harm to me or my business, I am not worried. Do your thing.” – Fergara said with determination to which the man mocked it with a sneer.

“That is what I intended to do, in the first place.”

“Humph! It clearly shows your despicable nature.”

“Says by who, you? A scum of this society dare to lecture me about values. Hahaha… You’re a funny guy, I like you already. By the way I am not talking about your business here in the… surface.”

When Fergara heard his last sentence, he turned stiff and starts sweating even though it is hot and he feels cold at this moment.

“W-what d-do you mean?” – Fergara stammers with his question

“Oh~… Nothing in particular, I simply learned of this from the duke himself. You know, as a duke, he knows a thing or two about these kinds of things, the preposterous activities some men do.”

“I-I don’t know what you mean.”

“It means you’re engage in a shady trade and that you’re a part of a syndicate known as the red serpent. I am telling you that you’re a criminal.”

“Y-you! You’re accusing me of involvement in that criminal group. Where is your proof?!”

“None.”

“HA! Despicable! Truly despicable!”

“For now.”

“Don’t try to frame me bastard! Guh~”

When Audleigh heard what Fergara had just called him. His goofy nature was changed into a very threatening existence. His eyes show an intense killing intent that Fergara was cut-off in the middle of his yammering. And the guard is now standing next to him while firmly gripping the slightly unsheathe sword he held in his waist revealing a slight gleam from the sword.

Fergara is now feeling the intense killing intent from the two, and any moment now, this two is prepared to kill him. He held his staves firmly in his hand but then he let loose of his grip, making his staves to fall in the floor.

He won’t survive the moment these two make their moves. No. He can’t even make it pass with just the man standing guard; this man is without a doubt could behead him in a split second given that the man is standing close to him; he will be beheaded before he could invoke a spell. This is a confined space; he can’t make a manoeuvre to evade it in time. No. Base from what his instinct tells him, this man is strong and well-experience, his strike is enough to kill him where he stands.

Clearly, he is left without an option.

“I will obey! I will obey! Please spare my life. I will do anything, please spare me.” – He cried begging for mercy. Audleigh sneered once again and looked at the knight standing beside Fergara whose sword is almost drawn. He waved his hand signalling the man to stand by.

“Careful with your words, I don’t have that much patience left.”

“Yes. Thank you.”

“Then, about the boy -”

“Yes, the duke… m-may have him.” – Fergara closed his eyes in submission

“Thank you. And the names…”

“N-names?”

“Yes. Names involves in the syndicate. Tell me everything.”

“I-I am sorry. I am simply a runner. I don’t know the big names.”

“I don’t know what this syndicate had done to piss the duke to come up with a decision to annihilate them. He even spoke to the other duke and the king of his plan to wipe them out completely from this country. In the past 15 years, he simply imposed constant raids to cripple this group in his dukedom, but now, he will put a stop to them bypassing proper investigations. They will be killed like rats in their holes. I am giving you a chance to live. The duke has offered 10 Bruinne Gold for each name and a hundred to those who are in command. You can use the money to start anew. You can live in the countryside or travel around the great continent of Arkimutt or cross the great Rukbian Ocean towards the continent of Dorgea. It is up to you, you can do anything you want, if you make the right choice that is. However, you must remember, with or without your help, we will get them and I can kill you anytime anywhere and nobody will care.”

“Guh~”

Fergara was left with no other choice but to submit to this man’s wishes. Even though the syndicate ruled the underground world in this country for 50 years now, but when they are face with the wrath from one of the duke, they simply won’t survive. The duke has an army of elite mages and knights, if the duke decides an all-out war against them; it will be very devastating on their side. The syndicate had been very careful not to cross path with any of these dukes as to not incur their wrath.

And now, he simply doesn’t have an idea of what was happening, but he is right to guess that a great storm is coming and it is not safe to stay in the underworld anymore.

He told Audleigh everything he knew not missing a single information. He knows that if he wants to completely get away from the duke and the syndicate, then he must tell everything. He didn’t want to be pursued by the two, especially the syndicate. Sooner or later, the syndicate will found out about his connection towards the upcoming storm.

When Fergara told him the things which concerns the boy, Audleigh couldn’t believe what he’s hearing that he threatened Fergara once more but Fergara’s words are convincing and when it is over, he pondered for a moment trying to connect the dots in the process.

“So that’s how it is.”

“I have told you everything. So please spare me.”

“Surprisingly, you did tell me everything. Now, the problem is, I didn’t prepare that much, I only brought this small amount. I never expected that you’re this helpful and cooperative, which I like. How about this, expect the other half in 3 days’ time and I suggest that you go elsewhere after that.”

“Certainly…”

---

Inside the carriage, Luke is comfortably sitting on the couch which is facing Lorrath and the direction of the driver. Both of them are quietly sitting inside for almost 30 minutes now when the carriage door opens and Audleigh came in.

“Hello. How are you? Sorry about what happened earlier. Are all your stuffs in the carriage?”

“My stuffs?”

“Don’t tell me-” – Audleigh looked at Lorrath in which the latter simply shrugs his shoulders.

“Ah… Sorry it’s my bad. Well, I was ordered by Duke Augustus Regis-Lenforth to pick you up. From now on, the duke has the right over your custody, so he will provide you of your needs.”

“For what reason… why the duke is doing this?”

“I can’t answer that. Anyway, I too was a little bit sceptical regarding this matter.”

“What about Mr. Fergara?”

“He already approved it.” – Audleigh said whose smile is meaningful in which Lorrath simply brushed the weird feeling he felt when he saw it.

The two had a conversation for about 15 minutes until someone knocks on the carriage door and told them that Luke’s luggage were already loaded in the carriage.

Earlier, Audleigh told one of the servants he brought to inform Fergara in regards to Luke’s belongings, in compliance, Fergara told his servants to prepare the things Luke left in his room.

Following that, the carriage starts to move and then it gained the speed along the way.

[AN: Rate my work, support my work in RDL and WordPress. And leave a comment to express your thought. Also, if you have any suggestions or violent reactions, PM me. To those who like it, and to those who read it, thank you.]

5. Link_0021

Reading List:
    Link
    CHAPTER 9
    CHAPTER 9

(A display of prowess)​

The carriage went all the way towards the section of the city where all highly privilege people resides – the Noble’s District.

Luke spread his sight all over the place and saw buildings of great architecture which are 5-6 storeys high lined together across the street. These structures are made of stones and a special type of cement binds them together, with the application of magic, the structure could last forever and could withstand the greatest of the calamity the nature could muster. Through and through, the atmosphere of the environment is like old Europe, with the architecture being similar to 15th century France.

The street has a number of people, there are those who are engage in conversation; there are those who are in a hurry and walks faster, and some are even running; there are also the traffic of carriages owned by nobles along the way, and nobles in their remarkable attire and fancy armoured knights who rides in their beautiful horses.

The street is bustling like any other place in the city, except the people here were few and much more refined that you can’t hear any shouting from these people compared to the streets or the market, only the sound of hooves from these horses and composed sound of walking or the graceful laughter from these people is what filled the place.

Their carriage never shown any sign of stopping, which only means they are still a distance away from their destination. Their travel is smooth, not because the carriage has a good suspension which lessens the unnecessary shaking the carriage make or the even road, but because of the blue banner with the sigil of an overlapping twin sword, a griffin on the side and a golden laurel which envelops the two insignia – this is the symbol of the dukedom of Eludun and the symbol of the duke.

Wherever they go, the people will show their respect and make way for their carriage, which is why they never encountered unnecessary troubles along their way.

In 15 minutes or so, the carriage stopped in front of a huge mansion, 7 storeys high and 230 meters in length – this is the mansion of Duke Augustus Regis-Lenforth.

“We’re here.” – Audleigh said and the three of them got off the carriage

This time around, Lorrath excuse himself and made his way towards the opposite direction, the two went inside the mansion and were greeted along the way by servants.

They stopped in front of a huge hardwood double-door, where two heavy armoured guards are standing guard on both side.

Audleigh stepped forward and knocked three times on the door, which a man inside responded and told them to enter.

A handsome man who looks to be in his 30’s is sitting in an old luxurious-looking chair behind the table that has papers, scrolls, letters, a bag of silver and gold coins, books, an ink bottle with 2 quills in it, and a balance weight place on it.

The two paid homage by making a slight yet elegant bow, like a true noble.

This man has dark-reddish hair which is cut short and was perfectly combed at the back, and with eyes that match the color of his hair. When he saw this man, Luke was reminded of the girl he met at the clothing shop the last day.

This man is Duke Augustus Regis-Lenforth the reigning duke of Eludun for the last 12 years since his father had step down. He is the grandfather of Layla and many other children, but his favourite of all is Layla. Not only for the fact that she is the daughter of his first born son and the heir to Eludun, but because she is a child brimming with talent not only in magic but also with sword, martial arts, fine arts and other forms of learning. She is not just intelligent and beautiful, but a very strong child. Because of this, the duke highly favours her. But that doesn’t mean he didn’t care for the rest of his grandsons and granddaughters, he also favours his grandson which are all talented. But because she is a girl, she received a lot of attention from him like a grandfather doting for his granddaughter.

It must be noted that this world highly sought and favoured the strong. Because, only the strong can defend their family, defeat their enemy, and bring glory to their country. Only the strong can bring about justice and peace, and the select few who ruled the many. For centuries, this is the law (albeit not written) that governs them, it will remain unbroken until the end of time.

The duke, and like the other duke, imposed this unwritten law, to protect their family, status and their interest.

When the two gave their respect, he offered them to sit in front of the table.

“Thank you for your service Audleigh.” – The duke started

“Not at all my liege.”

“Well, Luke is it? We’ve met again. First, I must apologise for my rude behaviour the last day we met. Can you forgive me?”

Luke nods.

“You must be confused of why you’re here, am I right?”

He nods again.

“It is because I know your father, Lord Renan of Drenhar, and your grandfather, Gregor Dynar-Vyrwel, the duke of Drenhar.”

Augustus eyes were on them, observing the two, noticing any changes the two would make and discerning what they understand.

“I told you this because it is no longer a surprise. See, Audleigh isn’t showing a surprise look, he must have known about it already. Am I correct, Audleigh?”

“Yes, milord.”

“As for you, you learned and had kept it for a long time now. Am I right again?”

He didn’t respond.

“As for me, well, I learned it from someone. How he got hold of that information is not of our concerned. The most important thing is we learned of it and that you are here.”

While Augustus explained things, the two remain on the listening side.

“As you may know, last night I met your grandfather, Gregor. I and my colleague told him everything we know about you. And here I will be very honest with you, he denounce your existence and we both got criticise for this matter. Well, he is like that long before. He denies you, so it should be proper to raise you as one of my own with my selfish understanding, or so I think. Since I want to be honest with you so I must tell you this, I learned that you are special. It is one of my reasons to keep you. And the other is because I don’t want you end up being uneducated fool, raised by some shady guy. I don’t want that, I don’t want you to raise your blade and point it at someone at some point of time. You know, this old me is being paranoid. Hehe…”

Actually, when he investigated him and learned that the man who raises him is a man named Fergara, a name registered in his watch list 5 years ago. He informed Duke Rhemus of his findings and later, they informed Duke Gregor. But, when Gregor denies Luke as it will invite unnecessary rumours regarding their family, so he decided to make a move, he will take Luke under his tutelage. It must be known that the Vyrwel’s excels in magic, he believe that keeping the boy under his banner is beneficial to him and his forces.

Augustus ordered Audleigh to get him a cup of wine right at the corner, and he continued speaking while supporting his body by the armrest.

And now comes the conclusion of things he just said.

“If you stay here, I will provide you with everything in my capacity.” – Augustus ended his explanation and took a sip of the wine he held on his hand.

“What about Mr. Fergara, milord? I still have an obligation to him.”

Though he felt no loyalty to anyone, however, he thinks that it is improper to simply leave the man who brought him up for 4 years now and had given him a lot of things to learn upon. He can’t simply change side just because the other offered him more as there are still the dignity and decency that matters. He can’t bring to lower himself which the duke felt his sentiment at this moment, and he was pleased by his sense of righteousness.

“Well, I won’t take your freedom away. In 8-10 years’ time, you can do whatever you want. I won’t stop you if your desire is to go back to Fergara. But let me ask you a question. Do you really trust that man?”

“Milord, I am indebted to him, but to trust him still make me a little bit of a hesitant.”

When Augustus heard him say these words, he was surprised that his eyes narrowed, and starts re-evaluating the boy in front of him. He was really taken by how this child looks so mature in his answer. It was not what he expected to hear from a child.

“So it is debt. Your debt that I had settled, so that only means your debt is transferred to me, that’s the logic. You no longer had the debt and you’re not emotionally tied to him, then I guess you don’t have any problem if you stay here for the time being and if you did find a problem, you can inform Audleigh here or you can seek me.”

The duke dissolved his soft nature into that of a sinister which shuts his other feeling of hesitation.

“May I interrupt you, milord?” – Audleigh had spoken

“Yes, what is it?”

“With regards to the boy, well, we all concluded that he is smart or way smarter the way he handles himself right now, but there’s more to it.”

“What do you mean?”

“I learned from Fergara that he is exceptionally gifted, far from our expectations.”

Now, Augustus interest was picked that he was leaning closer to Audleigh and placed the cup on the table.

“I’m listening.”

“My liege, he is doing things the other children of his age isn’t capable of doing and Fergara believed he is hiding his real capabilities well.”

“What are these ‘things’ you say of?”

“For example, managing a business or perform complicated arithmetic, advance that is.”

To his surprise, his eyes are now bulging, but thanks to his discipline he managed to stop himself midway from standing and overreact. For a child of less than 9 years old to do those kind accomplishments is indeed impossible.

“Is this true?” – Now, Augustus directly asked Luke to which the latter simply nods.

If he is to confirm this with a spoken answer, it is not that they would not believe him but it will look like he is being conceited for his answers. So he simply do his usual act – answer like an obedient child would.

“Should we test him, let him perform a task-”

“Or perhaps, you could tell us more of your abilities or expertise.” – Augustus inquired eager to learn more of this boy.

“Then, can I take a moment please, milord.”

He went outside the room and when he got back, he brought with him a small rectangular wooden box. He returns to where he is seated and then he started with a question.

“Why is it that books are expensive?”

“You’re asking me this?”

Augustus couldn’t believe that this child had come up with that ‘silly’ question.

It was Audleigh who answered.

“You probably know this but since you are up to something, then fine. Books are written by scholars in the academy and the monastery, they are known as scribers. They have the skills in writing as well as making these books, enchanted scrolls and weapons, and other magical items.”

“Then, if I have the skill of the inscribers, then I can write a book. Is it?”

“Certainly, however it’ll take 6-10 years to reach the necessary skill to become an inscriber that makes non-magical books. However, the materials needed for a single book is another thing.”

“Why?”

“You know the paper is quite an expensive commodity. It must be known that paper making is quite a process.”

“Is there no magic that can make the process fast and easy?”

“What, you want to hire a magician just to make papers? And besides, the only thing they could speed up is the drying process.”

“But what about tools, a mechanism, a machine mainly for making papers”

Ma-sh-in…? I never heard of it. What about it.”

“Milord, I have this idea… If you could lend an ear on this, I will be delighted.”

Augustus looks at him, trying to discern what’s on his mind. He then opened the box and took out the rolled parchments which he handed to the duke and the later accepted it with his eyes still fixed on him.

He then looked at those parchments. It was messy, is what the duke can tell. There are no proper writing tools develop as of yet that his writings is somewhat untidy. What’s more is that these two can’t understand it as there are crisscrossing lines, numbers, circles, zigzagging lines, letters and words. They can’t tell what it is all about that their eyebrows met.

“Is this somewhat of a plan? I have seen the likes but I can’t tell what this is. First of all, there are no magical symbols and formations. So, what is this?”

“It is called… I call this one a printing press and this one is a paper mill.” – As he pointed on those drawings.

“What’s this? This is not a magic formation, is this a drive wheel here? I saw one in the draw bridge, but, it is somewhat different”

“Yes, these are the drive wheels or simply call it as gears, it was put here to transfer the energy of this thing here and by means of rotation the energy is transferred, it is called mechanical energy.”

“I am confused. What do you suggest in here?”

“The whole idea is that, it will make the process of making papers and publishing a book much easier and faster. These are tools… tools build for a specific work, a machine. These machines do not rely solely on magic but, the energy of work – the kinetic energy. This is the concept of a machine.”

[AN: Did I explain it right?]

For what it should be a short introduction, the whole thing turns out to be a deliberation where Luke points out the benefits of his machine from the two who didn’t have an idea about the concept which is unique to them. Like a salesperson, he effectively promotes his product that the duke had bought.

Though, this world is advance than the medieval time in his world but this concept is quite new to this world and the main reason is magic.

Instead of machines, magic made their life a whole lot easier, like; if they wanted to starts a fire, they can invoke it; if they want to make a brick, they use magic to create a type of brick stronger than normal bricks; if they need water from the deep well, they use magic to take water from the well or simply create water; if they needed to lift something, they use magic to lift heavy objects. In short, magic has wide application especially in the time of war; as technology is best develop whenever there is war. However, not all things are made possible with magic, this is one of the examples and the duke is thoroughly convinced of the new idea and really believes it will revolutionize how books will be made in the future but he certainly didn’t know it will stir the coming of the information age, only Luke did.

“Now, it is time for me to show you what I am really capable of.”

Just as the two were seemingly happy and satisfied of this new ideas and the potentials it will bring and the money they could amassed, were stopped by those words and came up with the same conclusion: “What’s more there is to this child to surprise us?”

Suddenly, he got up from his chair and walks a few feet away from the two.

Now he is standing sideway from them. He raised his left hand in the level of his stomach, showing his empty palm. Then, as though he is gripping something on it but not closing his hand into a fist, still he exert pressure in his little hand, and then, mana starts gathering around it.

“Don’t tell me, you’ve manifest-”

Just as the duke was about to finish his words, a small bluish ball of lightning that produces low sound of electricity was invoked and is floating on his left hand.

“-ed magic already.” – Finishing his words albeit losing the volume of his tone.

“I-incredible…” – Audleigh

[AN: Rate my work, support my work in RDL and WordPress. And leave a comment to express your thought. Also, if you have any suggestions or violent reactions, PM me. To those who like it, and to those who read it, thank you.]