Discussion D. Gray-Man...

Discussion in 'Manga Discussion' started by mukkaar, Jul 22, 2018.

1. mukkaar

mukkaar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Argh.

I rarely follow manga anymore, I have a few mangas I follow and check updates maybe once a month or something. Now I went to a manga site and saw new D. Gray-man chapter and just became annoyed :D It was really good manga series and at some point, if I remember correctly author started having health issues and it went on hiatus and after that became monthly/sometimes series.

Before hiatus, the manga was really good. It was interesting and unique. But after hiatus period it just became totally different, now it's just confusing mess with people crying left and right. Also, bromance was amped up like crazy, it's pretty much some odd mix of seinen action, bromance bordering BL and shoujo.

Author is a woman, and I really liked unique emotional touch it gave to the series, but it just made a total transformation from a good story to some weird shoujo drama after those hiccups.
    In nutshell, my problem is the fact that the story became totally different from original chapters. I just felt cheated because the story changed so much.

Lol, had to whine about this somewhere because it was one of my fav manga and anime. And it still is, especially anime, and manga until 170~.

Alice_25423 likes this.
  2. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This manga have some memorable event like that incident at the ship where the woman who could control/reverse time made the crew temporary immortal but the sad thing is they are just living on borrowed time as when her power deactivate all wounds would return.

3. Bee4knight

Bee4knight Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It was one of the first manga I read (after ID, just my luck). I have to admit that it is now a little hard to follow... but I don’t read much manga anymore and it is still a rare one on my list, so I hope it will get back on track.

4. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    D.Gray-Man was still alive? I thought this manga was dead(completed/axed) since long agos.....

Solracmar likes this.
  5. Solracmar

Solracmar Zzzzzzz

Reading List:
    Link
    Me too after it entered in hiatus, at the time i thought it was axed.

6. mukkaar

mukkaar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol :D Now that I checked the release schedule latest chapter I read it was in 2012, if I exclude today.
    After that next two chapters are in 2015
    Next three in 2016, another three 2017 and 2018 :D
    So yeah, it seems like it's totally lost, don't even know why author bothers to update it anymore. And chapters are under 30 pages xD

Alice_25423 likes this.
  7. haruhi91

haruhi91 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I also l loved D. Gray Man before the hiatus. The plot was interesting, characters were captivating, sad and funny moment. But then the art slowly changed, the plot became so confused and twisted, I have the feeling the author is lost too. What I hate more in the last chapters are the gags inserted in dramatic scenes unnecessaryly. Anyway, last I checked the author is publishing in 3-month-periodical magazine, so a chapter every 3 months which are very very long... Chapters vary from 15 to 20 pages, it feels like the reader is made fun of, 3 months for 15 pages

Alice_25423 likes this.
  8. Solracmar

Solracmar Zzzzzzz

Reading List:
    Link
    For what you said it is worse than HxH.
    I probably would have to read since the beginning if wanted to read it again.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  9. Thornq

Thornq Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wasn't the author sued for copyright infringement too? had to change several story elements because of that? I might be confusing it with something else but I think it was D-grayman. Either way, I gave up with the whole demon within bs that popped up out of nowhere with MC.
    It struck me as a lazy way to create structure for the series after the exorcism schtick was abandoned.

10. deanadiktus

deanadiktus day-night reversal

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't die peaceful if the freaking past is not clearly explained...half of m.earl is mana>>mana adopt allen?>>scene where mana died infront of allen>>become the fat m.earl>>coax allen to summon the soul of mana?wtf! Just how....

half of m.earl is nea>>scene died/sealed in allen?>>adopted by mana>>mana died and m.earl appear>>coaxed to call the spirit of mana >> the black skeleton scratch allen's eye...

11. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The author has wrist injuries.

12. Thornq

Thornq Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I must be thinking of someone else cos I didn't find anything about copyright when I tried to google it.