Discussion [D]

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by ExcitableFoci, Apr 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [D]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    zduino and Deleted member 155674 like this.
  2. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm more into vocaloid songs, and i bet it's outside of both type you mentioned

Shem likes this.
  3. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, you linked a generic epic music compilation for the nonanime music compared to a top ten for the anime music.
    Don't be disillusioned fellow soundtrack lover, there are still plenty of good lyricless osts to be found outside of anime.
    Here are a few:
    Light of the Seven - Game of Thrones
    A Small Measure of Peace - The Last Samurai
    Now We Are Free - Gladiator

Okay I'll admit I'm partial to Hans Zimmer, I'll just stop myself here.

4. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    What differentiates anime music from normal music? I personally think that that's not really a good comparison since you're saying anime music isn't normal. It would be different if you were to compare genres, though.

5. Shem

Shem ┃ᐕ) ⁾⁾「Lv 69 BL Hunter」☆ Vrelty's Seme ♤♡ ꪋς꧖ ☆

Reading List:
    Link

Same here. I'm more into vocaloid and anime songs ┃ᐕ) ⁾⁾ also some songs by lisa, mafumafu, sou, yui, kenshi yonezu and amatsuki:blob_blush:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    Shiio likes this.
  6. InvincibleDespair

InvincibleDespair Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Non-anime japanese musics are good too, though I dont't understand a single word...like

ExcitableFoci and Shem like this.
  7. jiang ying yue

jiang ying yue 神様!

Reading List:
    Link
    Sadly, the only anime songs I like are Tokyo ghoul season 1 and 3 openings, it’s lit yoo.

[edit] i am currently very infatuated with all of NANA's soundtracks and the paradise kiss OP

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    GREED444 likes this.
  8. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ye, I noticed so I changed links. 10 mins before ur comment but it seems like you entered before that.

Its directly the aproach, or 'way' they make music. Not really a genre but a quirk.

Yeah. I thought about that. That maybe I simply got too used to Japan's music :v

They are one and the same. Famous singers, composers and bands tend to be invited to make anime music.

I thought the same not long ago, but you are mistaken. Soundtracks aren't just the cropped versions you hear in the episodes. There are some songs that can be even better than the openings.

9. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Western music cater to Westerners and Asian music caters to Asians. Simple as that. You don't see a lot of animated shows with released soundtracks in the West. There's also the political and weird art styles cartoons have. They're more grounded to reality than Asian themes. Asians music is all about fantasy + modern or ancient. Western music is modern + futuristic or fantasy.

10. Xane

Xane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually can't listen to anime OST because they're mostly atmospheric tracks that are supposed to add to what you're watching, it just sounds out of place to me on its own. It's not like I hate the tracks, they're just not something I could imagine myself putting into a playlist and listening to just chilling at home or walking around with headphones on.

OP/ED are usually actual songs, sometimes original songs made for the anime (on top of that some even sung by the voice actors, Seto no Hanayome comes to mind) or sometimes licensed out. You need to find a music focused anime to get high quality in-universe music. Macross 7 is a big one I love. I picked up a lot of good music from checking out who did OP/EDs:
    L'arc en Ciel (Driver's High: GTO OP1, Daybreak's Bell: Gundam 00 OP1)
    Supercell (Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari: Bakemonogatari ED1)
    Kokia (Fate: Break Blade ED1, Transparent: Phantom: Reqiuem for the Phatom ED2)
    Abingdon Boys School (JAP: Sengoku Basara, Howling: Darker than Black)
    Not going to embed any videos cause this post is already big enough.

I've tried listening to Darker than Black, Full Metal Panic, Texhnolyze, Outlaw Star, even Cowboy Bebop OST I couldn't really get into the basic atmospheric tracks. They're meant to invoke feelings that I can't get when they can be in between some wild swings of mood. For example Spokey Dokey from Cowboy Bebop into Hack from Outlaw Star into Distortion of Outside the Door from Texhnolyze.

Another part of it may be reminiscing about what you experienced/felt when you first heard it. Like if you had heard Sorairo Days on its own you might think "Ok, neat Japanese punk/rock band I guess", but if you listen to it after watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann the first 5 seconds might be all you need to get goosebumps and feel amped.

ExcitableFoci likes this.
  11. mikeyla

mikeyla Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe due to the fact that theyre making the music for something certain? Like they have this thing in front of them and they are making it for it. E.g. the main character’s beloved person died and they make ost especially for that moment, trying to capture the feelings of the character and convey it through the ost, etc.

zduino and ExcitableFoci like this.
  12. Xane

Xane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, I'm not mistaken. I'm talking about the atmospheric songs. I already linked 3 other OST examples in my previous post.

Could you slot these into your playlists? They're also part of soundtracks.

OSTs are full of these types of things and if there are songs like you've linked they're usually sparse and you've got to pick through the atmospheric to find them. If the OSTs you're grabbing are basically mix tapes then I don't know what you've got.

ExcitableFoci likes this.
  13. giyuuwu

giyuuwu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When it comes to lyricless music then I reckon there isn't much difference? like it depends on the theme or vibe of the series itself and how well the musician contracted for the job executes it.
    For example, take the OSTs for Titanic? they were so awesome, downright tearjerker. Stranger things, Umbrella Acad, all had real bomb OSTs.
    and then MoDaoZuShi? Spectacular brilliance in all mediums (anime, drama, audio drama)
    We can't generalize what you're claiming because it's kind of biased ig.

14. LAOG

LAOG Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anime music is no different from regular music. Some shows have tracks that pre-existed before the anime was even made. In the end you're just a weeb who likes anime and music. Nothing wrong with that.