Recommendations Danmei with best character descriptions (appearance wise)

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by AneeChan, Jun 23, 2022.

1. AneeChan

AneeChan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So um I'm tired of the repetitive skin "Like Jade"s, hair "Like Jades" and eyes "Like Jades" and everything else "Jade". Somebody explained that Jade has immense cultural value and that it is the embodiment of many other attributes but even so I still think it's unoriginal and doesn't add much to the 'physical' description of a person, especially if a Jade idiom is all get I about their appearance. It's also seen as a writing weakness to describe character descriptions by attributes/traits alone- even if it stems from one object (eg; Jade). Point is, I've had enough of Jade and I perceive it to be a limitation and cliché in writing descriptions.
    Otherwise characters are often beauties who're "otherworldly beautiful" and "unparallel in beauty".

I always had a hard time imagining characters in danmei because for whatever reason character appearance is limited to JADES or something super abstract like "Otherworldly beauty". And I honestly have no clue how to imagine an "Otherworldly beauty" without a bit more explanation.

So tell me people, what books have the best character descriptions (appearance wise) you've seen in danmei so far and why do you think so? (I don't mind Jade as long as some other description is also added, eg; Shape of eyes, nose etc)

Thank you for answering in advance ❤️
    Thousand Autumns was the only recommendation I got.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  2. Heavenly Flowers

Heavenly Flowers Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not sure about the last 4 but I think it's okay based on my standard (or I just didn't remember well :blobjoy:)

AneeChan likes this.
  3. purple_mangosteen

purple_mangosteen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At least they have jade description. A lot of novels I read don't even have one tiny bit of description aside from the name. Reading the novel is like ready drama script.
    At xxx's house
    At school
    At office
    Bedroom etc
    What the house, bedroom, everything look like is never explained
    The characters also exist to move along the story, their personality is basically zero

AneeChan likes this.