LCD Death Mage

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by lygarx, May 21, 2017.

1. bf

bf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In the ideal case, students should get introduced to N2L at age 15. That means that by the time they reach university, there would be 4 years of reinforced bad habits. And the universities expect students to unlearn and relearn that in 3 months. Whatever the heck are they thinking? I aim very much to raise students up, definitely not penalising them for failing to tackle the well known hardest bit of teaching physics.

And that is not even considering anything prior to age 15, where kids spontaneously obtain the mediaeval thinking. That is a LOT of baggage. The point of the 4 years of schooling should be to remove just that one nasty lump, and failing that, at least shower people with love. Yet the vast majority of teachers are so bad at these.

Like, what is the point of hating on students who don't understand? By definition, that is what students are supposed to be! Aren't teachers supposed to be the smart folk who had learnt the correct stuff? Same with teachers who don't supply definitions---FFS the teachers obviously know what is happening, so the definitions are not needed for the teachers. The point is that the poor student might benefit from the strict definitions, so that then the overall confusion could hopefully be lessened. WTF is with people?

So, do know that you deserve to be loved either way. And seek out teachers who care, even if you are shy. It is an ego boost whenever a student gets it. We get our kicks too. Mutually beneficial relationship.
    Oh goody. Now I look forward to the story again. fanboi mode on.

penguinleecher, xshugox and anteopta like this.
  2. diamonds

diamonds Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Aggar is done for.

The dog mutating seems like it will be highly suspicious.

3. Gin_Hindew

Gin_Hindew Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Those spoilers about Heinz give out his weak point, if he or his companions are transformed into a new race they would not be able to keep their ideals, too bad Vandalieu doesnt know that

4. CountryMage

CountryMage [XSanguine8] not my blood...

Reading List:
    Link
    All the Vida race transformations require consent, so that's not an option, Van's even requires his guidance.

Paps likes this.
  5. Gin_Hindew

Gin_Hindew Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Im pretty sure Van can transform Heinz into another race, just not a Vida's one, just inject him with death mana until he transforms
    I doubth Heinz' mana pool can resist Vandalieu's amount, its just a matter of kept trying long enough

6. CountryMage

Reading List:
    Link
    Then he would need to pump them full of enough Death magic, that they are affected by his charm, and transform due to his guidance then. Now, you are adding Van's consent into the equation, he doesn't want them, definitely isn't investing time and energy into turning them, and if he does, they end up brainwashed like the Green Spear ghost was, racism doesn't haunt them once they turn to Van, so your moral dilemma means nothing.

Paps likes this.
  7. tirirism

tirirism He who dealt it

Reading List:
    Link
    I, a guy with more marbling than a Japanese Wagyu A5, have accepted the religion of the muscle. But the pain ghosts are trying to drag me back down to pork belly hell. I need some Van-sama for motivation :(

Gin_Hindew likes this.
  8. Zamzukan

Zamzukan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You just got your dosage.
    You must go to Discord and take it up with your drug dealer .... i mean translator.

0000000 likes this.
  9. Neiden

Neiden Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you really need a fix, and you don't care about what your drug has been mixed with, you can go to the back alley dealer.

anon, Ghost-Plant and 0000000 like this.
  10. Zamzukan

Zamzukan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh come on
    That dealer has the nastiest drugs, whitch may have side effect ranging from headaches to full blown untreatable brain damage

anon, Agame, CountryMage and 5 others like this.
  11. tirirism

tirirism He who dealt it

Reading List:
    Link
    I did do it once. A long time ago. Unfortunately, my Mental Corruption skill has de-leveled. I cannot handle that anymore. *insert weird fatty crying sounds*

CountryMage, Neiden and 0000000 like this.
  12. Overlord2019

Overlord2019 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    N2L? What the heck is that acronym? As for what universities are expecting? They are expecting that students who pass the entrance exam and pay a butt-ton of money actually want to learn, are full-grown adults responsible for themselves, and are willing to take the curriculum as is, not as they think it should be. It might come as a shock, but universities want their students, at least on paper, to succeed, even the nests of the most rabid left or right leaning ideologues. Universities are not (yet) government mandated institutions of learning. They have to survive on donations, tuition, and their prestige, and universities with a high drop-out rate aren't going to get any of that.

As for the self-proclaimed student you quoted and praised? Read the quote again. Eric states that (s)he knows and can use the method that works but is too proud to do it. That will annoy, at best, anyone who has to deal with it. Students who act like they know better than the teacher will alienate the teacher, period.

We heap hate on Ketchup, not because he comes from a sad background and doesn't know better, but because he keeps getting smacked in the face by the reality that he's not as good a person as he thinks he is, runs off to a corner to throw himself a pity party for a while, "forgives himself" and then comes back doing the same thing that he got chewed out for on a larger scale!

You. Cannot. Teach. A. Student. Who. Does. Not. Want. To. Learn.

Not quite. He's more like a state mandated junkie that was forced to go to rehab but breaks out whenever he can because he thinks he knows better. It's not "nothing", but it doesn't really help.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  13. ElefantVerd

ElefantVerd It's not me, and it's not you.

Reading List:
    Link
    N2L? "Never too late"?

14. twinklecake

twinklecake Professional Freeloader

Reading List:
    Link
    Coulda sworn he meant liquid nitrogen.

FranckOA and Gin_Hindew like this.
  15. Overlord2019

Overlord2019 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That has me laughing way harder than it should!

Ettel likes this.
  16. ZeroDelta

ZeroDelta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Newton's 2nd law

bf likes this.
  17. CountryMage

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really the case, so far. Tomato Catsup gets smacked in the face with reality, and changes his mistakes, to other similar mistakes, because it's all based on the faulty foundation of "God is Good" and all the time. That's the reality they haven't shaken, smack him in the face with Bellwood's human failings, and Alda's stupidity, then we'll see if your loud criticism is correct.

anon and bf like this.
  18. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is very much the problem with it. To the people of Lambda their gods are the "good guys". Per definition. They cant do wrong or fuck up. And given Alda was the big winner of the war his ideals became the worlds ideals, no matter how messed up they were (and still are). He does not even begin to question them. Ofc it helps that Alda's divine order of genocide never truly reached the population, making him look more reasonable for everyone. Especially Heinz and the "peaceful" faction.

The fact that Vida considers him a mortal enemy should give him some hints however. Not that Ketchup will realize this.

bf likes this.
  19. bf

bf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand that you missed reading 2 or 3 pages worth of comments, esp mine always triggers TL;DR, but the acronym and its context are given in full earlier. ZeroDelta got it right.
    I'm the one teaching, so why are you the one so triggered? My annoyance is overridden by the euphoria of having successfully coaxed a student to finally get it.

If you had even been to any physics conferences and listened to the education research talks, you will know that hardline teachers who just fail students without attempting to see their point of view just ends up with few students. You would also know that the paradigm shift between Aristotelian thinking and Newtonian thinking is so great, that it has its own literature on just how to deal with it. None of the people who succeed in teaching this did it by getting all annoyed and penalising the students.

I am not saying that everything could be done the same way. There are trivial things that the student should be expected to learn/know. There are things like racist mofo that just cannot be reasoned with. But when it comes to paradigm shifts that have been identified as being incredibly difficult to teach, and it is the teacher's fault for not attempting to properly package the lesson for the benefit of the students, it is not something that you can blame the student for not "putting in the effort" to learn. "Give and take" is a thing that successful educators know to deal with. e.g. my teacher who really had the patience to do the whole 9 months of repetition, when given a gangster class, would start by cutting the curriculum. Great Teacher Onizuka, in actual real life.

An educator's first job is to connect with the student, not imparting knowledge. Knowledge is easy to impart once the student feels like learning. I always end up with a lot of free time at the end of year, because I already organised the teaching so that it is a really smooth learning experience.
    I literally explained why this is preferable to nothing in the very post you quoted me from.
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention in the physics education research thingy, that the scientific evidence shows that most of traditional teaching styles fail to teach basically everything. When I asked about why every new method proposed, that have scientific evidence showing that they are orders of magnitude more effective at student's retention of concepts and reasoning, why they are all shortening attention span, the answer is that all of these new methods at least manage to teach something. The old ways don't.
    Wadya mean, just Lambda?

20. Paps

Paps Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So all those little Van in his soul space, what are those his blessings???