Discussion Do chinese people really have personalities like they do in wns?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by TheCatWalk, Dec 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheCatWalk

TheCatWalk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    like you know.
    everyone is a meat head. no on can use their brains.
    all of them flips when someone 'offends' them *lol*
    idk but this seems to be the generic character of every novel out there (chinese)

2. rizzumeow

rizzumeow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    iirc you can't delete a thread
    but you can ask a mod to lock it

3. TheCatWalk

Reading List:
    Link
    i just edited it and turned it into a new one.

4. staggerbush

staggerbush Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No. The douchebags are only there so the MC has someone to beat up. The concentration of douchebags in xianxia novels is greatly exaggerated.

5. TheCatWalk

Reading List:
    Link
    They seem to like violence more than negotiations.
    Which is...well...
    Idk..

6. Sindaregion

Sindaregion Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really. It's just caricatures that evolved from a competitive Chinese economic and social environment (1. government is really overbearing, and 2. as a country they really are not as developed as western nations). There was this one time that RWX posted that his mom was concerned that people who read translated Xianxia would think that all Chinese people think like that. Which is definitely not true, or at least not more than normal people would normally. It's really interesting to view this genre in this light, and also explains a lot of most character's motivations/inclination (MGA, I'm looking at you) to piss off the most powerful person, because it's wish fulfillment in a sense--use your fists/personal genius to defeat authority.

Basically, Xianxia characters are all really exaggerated.

Parth37955 likes this.
  7. Parth37955

Parth37955 [Unavailable, go away] Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You have to look at the target audience. most of these people are male in their late teens-early adulthood. I mean look at JP LN's and mangas...are real people really that dense? But since it sells, that's the kind of stuff that's made.

8. TheCatWalk

Reading List:
    Link
    But hell. My cousin went to china kongming (or someplace idk) He's has indian blood so looks like that.
    He was asking for directions at the airport and said that most people ignored him. While only a few treated him politely.
    Which is another aspect they share on cn novels.

(Though in singapore there aren't any chinese like that at all.)

9. Enigma

Enigma Follower of Jesus, he's the only way

Reading List:
    Link
    Soul land

10. Darkanlan

Darkanlan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most Asian nations have severe inferiority complex's due to them being walked across by the Europeans when they were first discovered, so to show their strength, they treat everyone like shit in general. Almost all of the countries also have huge history of infighting among themselves and their neighbors, so they basically treat everyone like an enemy no matter where you're from. So, they're not portraying anything in the novels that are much different from their own societal norms, discrimination is in every nation, just in asia they tend to go above and beyond with how they like to portray which nationality they are in everything they write. I've never seen writing that has to point out what country they're from more than when I read stuff written by Asian countries. Every novel has japanese man this, or chinese man that, or korean man this, like you didn't know that when the book was written in that language. That alone shows how much of an inferiority complex they have that it requires them to state what they are every few dozen lines or every single chapter at the most unless in the fantasy genre where their countries don't exist.

11. TheCatWalk

Reading List:
    Link
    Though as for Japanese, i get the feeling the suffer from superiority complex rather than the opposite.

12. Parth37955

Parth37955 [Unavailable, go away] Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. There are a billion Chinese people...no one is doing any form of mass slaughter.
    2. Face is kind of important, also respecting your elders, but like many things, tradition fades.

I will agree with this. All of the old Indians I know tell me to beware of white people and not to offend them in any way (apparently no would would take my side or something~

China and India have a weird relationship. Kind of tense apparently (I'm Indian btw). Uh, China sends spies every so often into Indian territory and stuff. Kind of weird.

Chinese people also have a problem with Japanese people what with Japan trying to take over China during WWII and stuff.

13. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Novels like Peerless Martial God, Martial God Asura, etc. where the MC spends 95% of the story stomping someone who offended him are basically 'revenge on my bullies' stories. They appeal a lot to male teenagers. I'm not saying they are bad but I strongly believe they are crafted that way for a reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.