Question Do CN characters/authors know the line "If you show up on time, you are 15 minutes late"?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by gary0044187, Jun 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gary0044187

gary0044187 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Reading yet another story and a dude makes a commitment to do something for someone and he showed up late after specifically telling her he would be there at that time, even having her delay her plans. I noticed that CN characters do this all the time. They show up either late or JUST on time. I don't know if everyone's culture has a quote like this but when I was brought up, I was told "If you show up on time, you are 15 minutes late." The idea behind this quote is that you should respect the other people you have arranged this meet up with enough to make sure that you don't inconvenience them, furthermore, by showing up beforehand, you demonstrate how much you care about the relationship (whether professional or personal) that you arrived early just to make sure you didn't inconvenience them.

So my question is, do these authors know this line? Do they think that there is some other trait that somehow makes up for it? How can they possibly write later that the person who waited for the tardy person considers them to be reliable, when in fact tardiness is the greatest evidence of unreliability?

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on whether you want a favor from someone or if you are the one doing (someone) a favor.

3. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fuyuneko, FranckOA, Rumby and 10 others like this.
  4. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Being late and having people accept it is a show of status, if you have an appointment with royalty or nobles while you're of lower status they might make you wait for hours before showing up. It still applies, much like how a handshake with your hand on top claims the 'upper hand' in your conversations / communication. These power-plays get pretty awkward if you look at some of Trump's lol.

Zomula and otaku31 like this.
  5. Salokin

Salokin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But in CNs there are many examples of MCs just showing up whenever they feel like it to display how little they need to conform to the expectations of others. Sort of like how every Robin Hood movie starts with a peasant village being burned to show that, yes indeed, the villain is the bad guy. The MC has to show how 'heaven defying' he is by showing up whenever he feels like it or abandoning his more vulnerable friends and supporters right after provoking a big baddy.
    I can only assume this is like when bosses or office workers make someone wait in the waiting room for an interview. Because the MC is the actual 'boss' of the story everyone else has to work on his time.

6. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
  7. Moonxious

Moonxious 「We of the Moon Race greets you all.」『Lurker』

Reading List:
    Link
    If someone I was going to meet was calling/texting me where I was atm(personal level), regardless where I was, I'll just reply with "Be there 5 minutes". nothing more, nothing less

8. LynneSuzuran

LynneSuzuran JP Translator and Author

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to have the habit of showing up 15 mins before any event--but after there were many occasions in which I showed up early only to find the event being late by half an hour or an hour, I started to stop doing that and decided to just show up JUST in time. You know how tiring it is to be on time but then everyone else showed up waaaaaay so late or the event started one hour after the appointed time...
    But hey, I think they should be aware of that line?

Slayerwolfx2 and Irisia like this.
  9. Noctis

Noctis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  10. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    In my country, typically, teains can even be hours late but no one can complain.

otaku31 likes this.
  11. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You meant trains, right? More like they're expected to be late. In fact, I remember hearing that trains here are considered to be late only if they're off time by more than 15 mins. Would drive the Japanese crazy, that's for sure.;)

12. RShirokage

RShirokage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In my place, if someone place a meeting time of an event then the others come one or so hours later...
    Also, the event start a little bit after~~

13. I Eat Monsanto

I Eat Monsanto He who courts death

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want to be early to everything then that son you, but don't you dare try and impose that messed up ideology on other people. Showing up late inst right but that doesn't mean you should be expected to show up early. if we agree to meet somewhere at 10:00 then instead of expecting me to show up at 9:45 you should just say meet at 9:45, quit with the fucking bullshit

SorceressPol likes this.
  14. rleon

rleon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Putin late 4 hours for country leader meeting. Might be dictatorship culture.

15. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm the guy who's always late while my friends are the opposite.
    No country is so black and white as the article suggests, but I guess I don't have enough social experience for this kind of subject...

But never the less, even if the article says it's okay to be 30 minutes late, please don't...
    upload_2018-6-24_21-58-21.png
    I like the fact it's even suggesting it to you, lol.
    Being late can cause a lot of inconveniences, trust me.

Some of my more panctual teachers were in the classroom before the bell even rung, and if you were a minute late, you stayed out.
    (for the more relaxed ones you could actually be late up to 15 minutes and be perfectly fine... I had to learn whom was which the hard way, heh, but at the end, despite me starting as late as possible from home, I only ended up late in the classroom for absences twice this year~)

And that's not only it but because I'm usually quite late with my appointments *cough* *cough* my friends give me a time that is between 10-15 minutes earlier. Though at this point it's really funny for me.

If you show up late at the busses, you're out of luck, they ain't waiting for you and that's one of the super punctual places and it's not the only one.

My friends are used to me though, and I know better than to come late at something important, as you should be careful as well, as common sense suggests.

I'm sort of waiting to see other people's responses to this article though~

I mean, it certainly holds some truth in it for Greece, but it's not absolute like I said, so everyone should at try and be panctual ^^

Edit: found a nice comment on that post
    upload_2018-6-24_22-30-16.png

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  16. Victor069

Victor069 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Trump is a chineese novel mc? Hahaha

17. mukkaar

mukkaar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, where I'm from your not late unless you turn up late. And events etc. always start exactly on time. Besides, in CN novel it's done just to make character focus point and allow all kind of whining happen from side characters so there will be some conflict and mc can show them wrong. Used all the time -.- You are just reading too much into it. CN novels are full of standard unoriginal wtf tricks to make mc shine.

18. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    What novels are you reading? I usually see the mc is either on time or months late. I don’t see many in betweens~

19. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Where I am from being late is considered very rude, though generally people will just assume it's because you're a ditz rather than thinking you're conceited.

20. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, I am not talking about a couple of hours. I qm talking like 6 hours late or so. I once had a train where the journey would be around 9 hours, and it came to the station 5 hours late. It was further delayed by 3 hours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.