Discussion Do people have a right to complain in comments?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by UnGrave, Apr 25, 2020.

?

Vote on the situation:

1. Free speech is important. Every non-spam comment should be left as is.

35 vote(s)
    39.8%
  2. Translators have the right to block comments as they feel. It is their domain.

33 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. Translations shouldn't have comment sections anymore. They are worthless.

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  4. You didn't present the topic correctly. I want to take a crack at it myself. (comment below)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I actually don't care. Comments are fleeting, and I don't interact with them.

8 vote(s)
    9.1%
  6. Get back to work, slave!

11 vote(s)
    12.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmsupreme

mmsupreme How do I change my custom title?

Reading List:
    Link
    That's the thing with reviews that somewhat bother me. There can be a absolutely stunning translator but they continue to translate a shitty novel and I dont want to review the novel as harshly since the translation is extremely good. And there are cases where it's a good novel but you can clearly see it was mtl with a few edits

Geor likes this.
  2. Darkcrow.

Darkcrow. Foul Tarnished

Reading List:
    Link
    Well if you are reading that novel for free ,then you don't have the right to complain about anything. It take hours of work just to writer or translate a chapter and if you don't like the novel you should stop reading it no one is forcing you to read it.

3. Shem

Shem ┃ᐕ) ⁾⁾「Lv 69 BL Hunter」☆ Vrelty's Seme ♤♡ ꪋς꧖ ☆

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Freedom of speech. (That means to freedom to complain.)
    2. yes people who complain a lot are annoying but that is still their right.
    3. Everyone complains. We all have things that annoy us and we defiantly all have situations that anger us and we want to talk about with others. It happens to everyone.
    4. we also have the freedom of expression to tell them to shut up or delete their comments when you disagree with them. It works both ways.

4. norach212

norach212 Unknown being

Reading List:
    Link
    Along with rights come responsibilities. It is irresponsible to say and do things merely because you have the right to say and do them, particularly when you completely disregard the harm it causes.

5. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    Your choices imply such comments are spam. I disagree. They are criticism even if they are not constructive. Blocking them is manipulative and contributes to pressuring readers to think it is objectively interesting. It applies peer pressure. And that is wrong. I may not be able to stop a TLer from deleting such comments, but chances are I will no longer view their brand as favorably.

Most comment sections already have upvotes or an equivalent to rank comments. That should be sufficient for non-spam comments. Real spam would be comments like:

"First"
    "Second"
    "Hello"
    "mjnhbgvfcdsdfghnj"
    etc.

6. Geor

Geor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    as of this posting it looks like it's near an even split between the top two selections...

7. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    meh it just clash of right
    comment and free speech buahahaha!
    my house my rule~ is it good or bad? debatable~

8. kgggdkp2012

kgggdkp2012 Void ReapeR(8th grade syndrome patient)

Reading List:
    Link
    Will I leave a comment on cliché?
    No.
    I will do certainly praise them for their good work on NU.
    I will not comment on site as, Oh this, novel have classic JP mc.
    I just drop that thing without even a moment of hesitation, but if it's good like silly alchemist. We all wait.
    I also am just like everyone one on internet.
    *Rule of internet don't debate with trolls*

9. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Just to clarify, I meant that comments that are spam should be deleted no question about it, so that the focus is just on comments that are criticizing.

10. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess it'd depend on the TL, cuz it's their site they'd complain on. Just don't be surprised if it the comment is removed.

11. Irlin-senpai

Irlin-senpai I ain't got a Clue(-chan)

Reading List:
    Link
    I only read comments that are funny, witty, or real criticisms to the story. I ignore the rest. So I don't really care if translators remove such comments or not. But it does affect whether a new reader would wanna read the novel in the first place or not, so they should remove them if they want.

12. AmethystCherry

AmethystCherry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand what most here are saying, but it doesn't work like that. Comments, are comments! Literally! You can complain, encourage, debate, warn others, etc! Except for hate and malice, that includes being personal with translator whatsoever, or being really obnoxious as in being xenophobic, homophobic etc. So yea, comments are good and bad but they should stay! If we're going to be afraid of translators being discouraged then we'll never have our opinions out there after reading, no one needs to ask for an opinion, when where it says "comment" does. Some comments warn others. I saw someone saying that those "harem?" Comments are obnoxious, but I for one and many have to worry about harem everytime before reading a novel, so it's as reasonable as can be. Comments on Qidian is especially very important because negative reviews get deleted most times. Anyways I believe it's better to leave comments as be, unless they're malice. Otherwise I do also agree translators can deleted those too, since it's their "domain".

13. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    A guy can enter a coffee shop and start screaming, in return the management can kick him out. Everyone has the right of freedom of speech in the internet, and depending on what you say and where you say it, there's a corresponding consequence. As for how much "consequence" said upholder is giving, that's pretty much subjective.

Lineren likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.