Do you currently have or ever had any reading block?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Has, May 29, 2022.

1. Has

Has divorcee and veteran nuffer

Reading List:
    Link
    It's time i make a confession.
    It's been over 3 years since I've last willingly read a novel or book with a male protagonist. I simply cannot find any will to read from a male perspective, i know it sounds awfully extremely feminist of me lol but it's not because of that or anything, i just can't relate and don't find any enjoyment in it.
    The only times i read MMCs books in these last three years were for literature class, there was one i really fucking liked and then i also read 1984 and Hamlet.

2. Lemonlyn

Lemonlyn ♥[ Incubus ] Onee-san Seducer♥

Reading List:
    Link
    I've had reading blocks before!!!

3. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Had. i don't force myself to read when it happens. Sometimes transferring to another medium helps tho like audiobooks or just binging movies, manga/manhwa or whatnot. Oh and I also swap between light novels and western published once in a while. Maybe a poem book. Maybe a short story.

4. Tyvez the Forgotten

Tyvez the Forgotten Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, yeah. It's normal to have dislikes when reading.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    DeirdreH likes this.
  5. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've had.
    I would change story one after another and always feel they were either boring or wasnot interesting for me to stick to the end.

6. menecio

menecio Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm assuming you mean "reading blocks" as in related to specific tropes/genres/elements in a story and not as in "I haven't read a book in 5 years" because: 1) you mentioned disliking something specific, and 2) you're on a website about books and reading. :blobrofl:

So here's my reply:

I have and I do! Several, in fact, but here's an example: when reading BL fiction, I tend to have a hard time reading from the top's POV. I prefer reading from the bottom's POV. I will make myself read a story from the top's POV if I find it really interesting, but I tend to not even get past reading the summary before vetoing them.

And I wouldn't call this a block, just a preference. After all, it's OK to dislike things. :blobReach:

Preferences can also be based on things like triggers, so certain readers may avoid works that feature certain tropes/genres/elements due to trauma. Again, it's OK, we all have preferences! And you don't need to find an explanation behind them, just like others shouldn't try to find reasons to demonise them. You don't ask yourself why you don't like this or that food, your taste buds just say it's gross and you don't question it! Same with reading. You will have things you like and things you dislike, and it's all good. :blobhighfive:

TL;DR: Yup! It's normal! Enjoy your female-protagonist stories guilt-free! :bloblove:

7. Accismus

Accismus Icarus

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup. I didn't read for months and then went back to my reading spree.

8. Esha07

Esha07 ☄your favorite meanie࿐ྂ

Reading List:
    Link
    One time, I fell in a huge reading block because I read some hardcore angst novel.
    Results, the book is still on pending...

9. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes general reading block it was just school books turned me off any sort of text reading since it was a chore.... and watt pad and fan fiction didn’t interest me anymore.
    So I only read manga until came across nu finding out anime’s/manga were adapted from light novels.

And nah that’s understandable. Some readers do self insert when they read as it’s relatable that way.

10. Deleted member 456425

Deleted member 456425 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I recovered from a reading block recently. It was my first major one but I kept busy with other things while I had a reading block. I didn't notice the the time passing by so quickly.

11. IamJustthisweirdreader

IamJustthisweirdreader [hope you drop your phone in the toilet]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup...i was having a reading block until yesterday (the reading block lasted 2 months) ..today i finally found a good novel to read:whistle::whistle:

12. Bobasis

Bobasis Weeeeee

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m having one rn. There isn’t much things that I’m interested to read right now. All the mangas ive been seeing are typical cliche type stories. I just want something new that I can sink my teeth in. I’ve been reading short fluff stories tho to heal my heart from sadness.