Question Do you like system novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Tailor888, Jul 28, 2020.

Tags:
?

Do you like system novels

1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    65.0%
  2. No

14 vote(s)
    35.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tailor888

Tailor888 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you guys like system novels? It seems there is a lot of them currently, especially on Webnovels.

Personally I don't like them. Because of the system, all of protagonist's gains seem cheap. There is no sense of achievement. I don't like cheats in novels in general, and system seems to be the worst one of them. Although have to admit that there are some funny system parodies.

AJiggaboo, Chowbie, Milanin and 2 others like this.
  2. WearyRain

WearyRain Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on the implementation, but yeah most if them are shite

3. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    yes if they are well written and thought out. no if it's one of those where the system always fucks with the main character instead of doing it was supposed to do help him.

Muspon likes this.
  4. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In general? No. Actually, systems wouldn't be too bad if they stopped handing the protag everything on a silver platter.

aShinyVaporeon and Fulminata like this.
  5. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    Practically all I read any more. In most cases it add some form of structure(that in some cases are promptly ignored) to a world. It also gives you a more definitive progression for the protagonist. It's also harder for the author to use the "flavor of the arc" attacks, skill, or attribute" because it is been shown to audience and harder for them to gloss over.

Muspon likes this.
  6. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends what kind of system novels.
    Litrpgs? Yes.
    VRMMO? No.
    Stuck in VRRMO? 50/50.
    Quick transmigration host novels? Yes.
    Individual system cheats? 50/50

Or maybe the problem is a lot of stuff on qidian suck?

jingidibilli and Meloonseed like this.
  7. Tailor888

Tailor888 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, quality control is definitely non-existent there. Still that doesn't change my opinion. Just prefer the protagonist to achieve things on their own. Although, have been reading World’s Best Martial Artist and it's system is not that bad. It requires actual work from the protagonist and it's not that OP.

8. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All of the Chinese ones are shit with a few exceptions. The only good one I know is My House of Horrors.

9. brigs11

brigs11 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel the same but I also dislike the funny(or them all in general) systems as I feel it's just a cheap crutch compared to actual good character interaction or story progression. They don't need much development and can just act however the author wants without as much set up. The author can also just make up any reason for the system to force a quest or something onto the MC.

Chowbie likes this.
  10. Liyus

Liyus Laksha's Desu~ Cat

Reading List:
    Link
    i like when the system is auxiliary for the mc, but i hate it when he can buy anything or gifted everything for no reason.....it's even worse when it's ignore the rule imposed on it because it's the MC or give random quest just to give more point. Otherwise i find them fun when MC need to explore the system and isn't completely reliant on it.....

11. adrielpirate

adrielpirate Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    depends.
    i like systems a lot, but only when they are good implemented.
    there are novels out there who put a system in it, just to be a box, so the MC can pull a plot armor and save the day.

i like novels with limited growth where the MC needs to overcome some steps, be smart and ingenious to make the best use of the system.
    aka The Tutorial is too Hard and The Legendary Mechanic.

i like also when the System is a character in the novel itself, instead of just a tool, like The Book Eating Magician and The Mech Touch.

and yes, Qidian is mostly shit.
    some authors don't know the concept "learn with failure". that's, i believe, is what make a novel with a system bad.

12. animefan217

animefan217 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes like ones like A Valiant Life.

13. emi.ying

emi.ying Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends how well the novel is written.

I'll admit, most c-novel systems are pretty trash, but once in a while you'll come across a good one. The ones I've read are mediocre, but still pretty satisfying when it comes with the humour.

jingidibilli and aShinyVaporeon like this.
  14. Catbell

Catbell Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm ok with systems that aren't all powerful. Like Death Progress Bar or Let Me Tease You (if I remember right). In that the systems are just there as support and the abilities they have come with a big cost if used. Or the system is there as a watch guard and one misstep and MCs dead by it. Or when the system itself is the MC (Reborn As a System).

((all danmei examples lol))

15. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I generally don't like system or game elements in stories unless it is a story specifically about playing a game.
    It quite simply is something that breaks my immersion into the story right from the start.

16. jind2ux5ijguj3scxtum

jind2ux5ijguj3scxtum Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think a part of the problem is that system novels became a trend similar to isekai novels so a lot of unoriginal authors have started using it as a way to attract some readers. Another problem is that systems, cultivation stages and stats in litrpgs tend to be used as a crutch by authors who don't know how to depict the growth of their characters. This leads to almost no character growth other than an increase to a number somewhere in their rank/level/stat/stage after an arc.

Tailor888 likes this.
  17. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait, does My House of Horrors even count as a system novel? It's just the phone, right?

Anyway, most system novels outside of VR and LitRPG are in the CN system novel category. And since anyone can write a CN webnovel, it just became a common way to give MC cheats, which gave it a bad rep.
    It's just a plot device, which isn't used very well sometimes. There are some pretty good ones though.
    Edit: woah just realized this was a thread from yesterday, feel free to ignore me

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
    jingidibilli likes this.
  18. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's why it's good. It technically counts but it doesn't rely too much on it.

aShinyVaporeon likes this.
  19. Nazgand

Nazgand New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends. I like {"document.title" : "The Strongest System - Novel Updates", "document.URL" : "https://www.novelupdates.com/series/the-strongest-system/"}.
    Some systems have such BS design that I can't like them. E.g. {"document.title" : "Peerless Genius System - Novel Updates", "document.URL" : "https://www.novelupdates.com/series/peerless-genius-system/"} has a system that rewards points for surprising people and rewards new skills in exchange for points. There is no way the system actually uses the surprise of onlookers as fuel to teach skills - BS detected.
    Some systems raise cultivation by killing cultivators, but that is not automatically BS; perhaps the cultivation of the killed can be used as cultivation-raising fuel. {"document.title" : "God Of Slaughter - Novel Updates", "document.URL" : "https://www.novelupdates.com/series/god-of-slaughter/"} has a similar mechanic without a system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.