Discussion Do you read shity novels for shit and giggles? Why?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Grand_Rider_Iskandar, May 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand_Rider_Iskandar

Grand_Rider_Iskandar Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do. This is different from turning off your brain to read something because you're bored. This is where you acknowledge that it is shit and laugh because of it.

I just do this because I don't have anything else to read. The ones that are recommended doesn't interest me to be honest. And the ones I'm interested are apparently way too niche.

Edit: And I just stop reading it because it's no funny anymore and read some other garbage. If I was lucky, maybe I'll find something that's actually good.

gucchi likes this.
  2. zetsuen_dark

zetsuen_dark [blue is the color of distance]⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    This will interest you. Oh hail the mighty Invisible Dragon ! the best novel in existence! oh it's grandeur and might, truly a novel written by gods. even i am too small brained to read such a godly book. it changed my life and my perspective on novels.

3. Grand_Rider_Iskandar

Reading List:
    Link
    So true. A masterpiece that transcends all masterpieces. Even the best masterpiece compared to this is pure utter garbage.

aShinyVaporeon and zetsuen_dark like this.
  4. zetsuen_dark

zetsuen_dark [blue is the color of distance]⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    It's so mysterious that I dare not try to read it again for fear of overwhelming my small mind. I am truly humbled by such writing.

5. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really. I don't go out my way to look for a shitty novel but when I realise I'm currently reading a mediocre one, I still don't stop until it gets boring.

6. Grand_Rider_Iskandar

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I don't really look for them. It's just that there are way too many. Especially on webnovel. Since I don't have anything else to read, why not have fun and read some for a while till it gets boring.

7. Deleted member 176237

Deleted member 176237 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Read the 7 Forbidden texts to Ascend to Godhood.

8. Lois.

Lois. ❲.❳ Wooosh.

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes I just randomly read shitty novels just because I want a change of pace though it's not like I have to search for it since it consists of the majority of CN novels. The content is neither
    serious nor too light hearted either.

9. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Why? Uhn... For shits and giggles?

Grand_Rider_Iskandar likes this.
  10. Grand_Rider_Iskandar

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobokhand: *chef's kiss

I dare not to. I fear that my puny brain will self destruct from the the knowledge that was hidden within.

11. prasantbagale

prasantbagale Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are tons of novels on Webnovel with shitty Plot and cringe. Sometimes, I read them just for fun. One of such the genre I like reading is OP protagonist slapping everyone.

Grand_Rider_Iskandar likes this.
  12. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do this quite a bit, but not because a book is bad. It's one thing to watch bad movies because this is a passive activity where you can just have it playing in the background and not put any effort into it. In comparison, reading a book is much more active and requires your full attention. I find that it's enough effort that I wouldn't bother unless I'm enjoying it in some way.

And so the main reason why I read bad novels is because there's something in there I find interesting enough to overlook all of the bad qualities. The main category for these are Japanese isekai novels which I read because they have germs of ideas interesting enough to be worth exploring. Of course these ideas usually don't stay interesting for all that long, but that's why I go in with the expectation that I'll be dropping the book long before it's finished.

Nimroth likes this.
  13. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't go out of my way to read bad novels, but just the other day I found myself reading one of those japanese expulsion novels on syosetsu.

The protagonist is a veterinarian responsible for every beast in the kingdom and the king dismissed him without even having a replacement ready, saying he could find one easily later. Following that, every chapter followed one of two templates:

Protagonist does something OP. "Wow, Protagonist is so great!" "No, I'm just a veterinarian." Protagonist notices that there's a damsel in distress and saves her while either gaining a new power or revealing a power he hadn't shown yet. "Wow, Protagonist is so great!" "Why are you strong?" "A veterinarian has to be able to do this sort of thing."
    -Or-
    The king tries to go about his daily life, but can't because for some reason every aspect of his kingdom relied solely on the veterinarian, blames others, and things get worse in the kingdom.

Y'know, typical expulsion stuff, but somehow it escalated every time and I was just curious how it could possibly last over 200 chapters that way. It's garbage, but reading it is like watching someone make a tower of of garbage, wondering how much they can stack before it all crumbles down.

CrypticDota, ellype and AliceShiki like this.
  14. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    *raises hand* Fluff-sensei! Question question!

Does the veterinarian actually helps sick animals out during those 200 chapters!? :aww::aww::aww:

15. FunkyFreshTL

FunkyFreshTL Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes. I've read so many novels I'm long past the idea of getting mad at them unless it's a novel I really enjoy.

16. frrama

frrama Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to do this a lot! Eventually, I reached the point where I've read so much bad writing that the novelty has worn off and it's no longer funny (like most jokes are only funny the first time you hear them); it's not that my humour has matured or anything like that, just that it takes a special level of terrible these days for me to find it entertaining.

So I no longer deliberately seek out bad writing, but sometimes if I'm looking for something new to read and encounter a novel with reviews that are overwhelmingly negative, they'll prompt me to read the story to find out: "Is it really that bad?" And when the answer, inevitably, is "Whoa, it really is that bad!" I may keep reading out of a sort of morbid curiosity/fascination, all the while asking myself things like: "Why would someone even write this in the first place?"; "I suppose some people must enjoy this sort of thing, but - WHY!?" (genuinely trying to work out the answer); or, "Just how many new ways can this find to suck?" (some pieces have impressed me with their sheer ingenuity when I think they can get no worse then they go prove me wrong.)

All this is separate from the 'guilty pleasures' reading, where you're aware that from any objective viewpoint what you're reading is pure trash, but you're genuinely enjoying it anyway (which is about 75% of what I read TBH).

Grand_Rider_Iskandar and ellype like this.
  17. gucchi

gucchi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I do! But i have this standard of tolerance for amount of sh!t I'd like to take lmao. There are good sh!ts and really really bad sh!ts. The goods ones are perfect after I finished a heavy series/story. Sometimes ya need to read sh!tty ones to appreciate others haha.

18. xnvesha.14

xnvesha.14 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually don't because I know I'll get too bored or frustrated that I'll stop reading. And I don't like stopping a novel before I've read all the available translated chapters. This is why it's hard for me to start reading a new novel, I don't know if I'll like it and I don't like leaving in the middle.

19. MMWO

MMWO *pout*

Reading List:
    Link
    I read shitty novels for the smut (✯ᴗ✯)

20. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    I do that~ Actually it should apply to movies too. And it's more fun if you're doing it with someone and you do some commentary(?). blobmelt_thumbs Great for stress relief! 11/10 would do again! :blobsip:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.