Recommendations Dungeon Master/Core/Building novels

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Astaroth, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    My obligatory 'once in a while' post asking for novels where the MC build and create their own dungeons a la Lazy Dungeon Master (JP) & Dungeon Heart (RRL), and to some lesser extent stuff like Dungeon Hunter (KR), though building a dungeon and defeating invaders wasn't really the point there unfortunately.

There's a bunch of novels I've already tried and most of them I haven't liked, like for example Dungeon Maker (KR), but there's too many and people will still recommend said novels anyway because they only read the title anyway, so... Just go ahead and recommend any novel that fulfil the basic requirement of the MC actually building dungeon floors & rooms with traps, mazes, labyrinths, monsters etc. I don't care about if it's JP/KR/CN/other, RRL, or some fanfiction site etc. Any tag is fine, so just hit with me anything you've got.

Imo one of the better ones (at least in terms of dungeon building) was Evil God Average, and of course Lazy Dungeon Master, even though I really dislike a lot of things about said novels and tbh in general I just don't like JP novels. But the dungeon building were so good I could get over my dislike for other parts so I'd recommend them btw.

p.s. oh btw, I heard of this "slime dungeon" was the inspiration for Dungeon Heart on RRL, but it appears to have been removed from RRL and it's now on amazon... Feel free to PM me if you have some epub of it or something so I can try it. (Or if there's some place to read early chapters to get a preview before buying at least.)

2. Khatulistiwa

Khatulistiwa An Egg Eternal

Reading List:
    Link
    The Bound Dungeon on RRL, it's awesome, but currently on hiatus, yet there are enough chapter to go around

SLappY and Astaroth like this.
  3. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I have to say, just reading the synopsis and number of pages you might have already exceeded my expectations with this recommendation (y)

Khatulistiwa likes this.
  4. SLappY

SLappY Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Astaroth likes this.
  5. SUNOFA

SUNOFA Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The slime dungeon (RRL)
    Mysteries of the dungeon (RRL) - but I think this one's dropped.
    I was reborn as a magic academy
    The slime tamer (RRL) - but dungeon building isn't the main part there...
    There are others, but I can't remember...

6. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    reborn as a magic academy doesn't really focus on his actual 'dungeon building' though. No creating floors and monsters / traps etc. It quickly turns into a humanoid dungeon instead and then boom harem all the way.

7. HappyHavak

HappyHavak The Laughing Sage

Reading List:
    Link
    A Dragon's Dungeon on RRL
    Divine Dungeon series on Amazon

Astaroth likes this.
  8. abewan

abewan 〘Nishikigoi Dungeon〙

Reading List:
    Link
    Dagon, Dungeon Evolved on RRL. A vrmmo dungeon kind of story.

Astaroth likes this.
  9. SUNOFA

SUNOFA Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    True, my bad...

10. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Still, definitely a good novel though. If people enjoy fantasy harems with OP MC. Very 'Japanese' novel'ish except he gets laid. Wouldn't have expected that this novel was written on RRL at all.

11. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Already read it a while back and tbh what he said is pretty true. But anyway, don't feel bad, if you recall any novel but you're not sure whether you should recommend it or not, just go ahead and recommend it.

It's not like I have to read every novel that's recommended, I'll just check them out and give em a shot.

12. Xane

Xane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It probably falls outside what you want, but I Was Reincarnated as a Magic Academy MC is a Dungeon.

He doesn't build many dungeons and acts more like an adventurer, especially later in the novel.

13. Darkere

Darkere Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    RRL has a ton of these. In no particular order.

https://royalroadl.com/fiction/15935/there-is-no-epic-loot-here-only-puns
    Lighthearted with comedy and occasionally it gets serious enough that it's interesting.

https://royalroadl.com/fiction/17051/bunkercore
    Quite new but kinda cool. Scifi Apocalyptic setting.

https://royalroadl.com/fiction/16679/the-dungeon-calls-for-a-sage
    Also very new. Not very sure where it's going at all but fun enough for now.

https://royalroadl.com/fiction/16073/dungeon-corerealm-heart
    Xianxia expert turned into a dungeon. Its at least somewhat unique and I haven't seen this done well before.

https://royalroadl.com/fiction/17197/a-dragons-dungeon
    Cool. Although it has some controversial elements and focuses more on interaction with people outside the dungeon.

And Bound dungeon has been mentioned. Don't even remember that one anymore it has been so long.

As it's on RRL realize that once an author starts any drama it's probably in your best interest to completely avoid author notes and comments. Some people are amazing some not so much.

Astaroth likes this.
  14. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    Maou-sama no Machizukuri!